Author Topic: all august for the majestic dignity of COFFEE  (Read 62183 times)

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: all august for the majestic dignity of COFFEE
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »
G'mornin' Gents, and Ladies, if there be any about.  Got my first cuppajoe in, more better, now.

Drifting threads??  This is called "Tall Tales", yanno; need to broaden your view.

Coffee - Ale - Kahlua; now, that's drifting, even if in a moderately straight line.  Did'ja ever make your own Kahlua?  We did it once; involved vodka, instant coffee, and sugar, and maybe somethin' else, but I can't remember, it was a long time ago.  We made about three or four "fifths" of the stuff, and set it in to age, and after we opened the first one a few months later, we forgot about the rest of it.  When we sold out and moved some fifteen or so years later, we dug the bottles out from the back of the pantry.  Opened one up to see what had happened to it, and found a very nice, mellow liqueur, pretty good stuff, didn't give us any bad reactions or such, so we gave one to each of the kids, and took the other one with us to the mountains, and used it up making "toddies" for winter warming. All in all, not a bad experience, over a period of about 25 years.

Speaking of 25 years, we're going to SoCal this weekend to help celebrate our oldest son and daughter-in-laws 25 year anniversary.  Looking back, I sometimes wonder how we survived that day so well, but having kids with that kind of stick-to-it makes me believe it was worth the strain; they are successful, stable, good neighbor kind of folks, and have given us some grands that make our heads swell up with pride quite often.  Can't ask for more than that.

Later.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 02:30:53 PM »
@El Peludo- I always make my own Kahlua, but only using fresh brewed coffee and brown sugar. You need to be sure you use a high proof alcohol, otherwise it ferments and goes bad... found that out the hard way. I use rum, because that is what Kahlua uses, and I figger that's good enough for me.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2017, 07:33:32 PM »
I've been known to lift a window a few inches and shoot coyotes from there. Scoped .308 does them in pretty good. At one time the ex worked at a hatchery, and was always bringing home "extras" to the point we had a couple hundred assorted chickens roaming around. I suspect the farms for miles around were without coyotes, because they were all here!

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 07:55:01 PM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2017, 07:47:17 AM »
I can get away with a pistol shot on most if the place a shotgun is still the safest way here. Using a rifle is too risky with the Highway kn front boundry and the interstate on the rear boundry and a neighbor a short distance  thru the woods. They also have chickens and are on the watch now.  

I guess i can start the brew...
Mathew 5.9

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »
That's not a problem on my farm, nearest neighbor is a little over 1/4 mile, but a large hill (That's MY hill) between us. No highways within less than artillery distance.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee.

Changing the oil in the Beast. Trimming a horse's hooves. Neighbor girl's wedding this afternoon.

'Tis 67 and sunny. "Partly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 70s. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 30 percent."

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »
Afternoon ladies and germs.  ::)  And I will take some of that coffee, and tea too. 

Today is my weekend.  Worked a 65 hour week, so I'm enjoying lazing around with the dog so far.  Back at it Sunday and Monday, then off until Friday.  My schedule changed again so I'm working Friday to Monday, starting next pay period, which is tomorrow. 

County Fair is this week, so I'll be hanging around there on my days off.  They have a lookout tower exhibit there that is identical to one of my towers, so I'll probably spend time there explaining things.  Might even convince my boss to pay me for it.  ::)  My brother has some rabbits that he's auctioning, so we'll see how that goes.

And to answer PE's question from last month's thread, yes my towers have beds.  I will be making use of them.  They also have refrigerators, and cooking ranges with ovens.  Also, one does actually have Wi-Fi, and both have Verizon 4G.  I'm planning on making a video about it, so when I get that done up I'll post a link so you can see.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2017, 03:50:46 PM »
A quick google search didn't turn up any inside pictures of the ones used in MO, but the most common ones appear to be 7'X7' dimensions, on top of a 100' tower. Not a lot of room in there. Back when they actually were using them, they often had a small house or cabin below for the lookout to live in.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
A quick google search didn't turn up any inside pictures of the ones used in MO, but the most common ones appear to be 7'X7' dimensions, on top of a 100' tower. Not a lot of room in there. Back when they actually were using them, they often had a small house or cabin below for the lookout to live in.
100 feet? :o :o :o :o
I have the tallest in the county, and it's only 55 at the top of the roof.  The other is only 15.  ::)  And both are 20'x20'.  Comfortable enough for 2 people to hang out in.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2017, 10:52:44 PM »
100 feet? :o :o :o :o
I have the tallest in the county, and it's only 55 at the top of the roof.  The other is only 15.  ::)  And both are 20'x20'.  Comfortable enough for 2 people to hang out in.

--TK

Well, we don't have as high mountains as you have to put them on top of. First 50 or so feet just gets them above the tree tops. Most who talk of climbing them talk about the wind "up there". Probably about like being on top of a mast of a sailing ship!
https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.jqEGvvaismU-PvhN6fVBfwDIEs&pid=15.1

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2017, 10:54:01 PM »
Back from the wedding reception. It was at the bride's parents place which is in the country. Had a fireworks display which was better than some 4th of July display.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »
There was a tower near where I lived during HS in northern WI. I went to it but never up in it. Don't remember how tall it was.

Slim

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2017, 01:06:30 AM »
Well, we don't have as high mountains as you have to put them on top of. First 50 or so feet just gets them above the tree tops. Most who talk of climbing them talk about the wind "up there". Probably about like being on top of a mast of a sailing ship!

The wind on my 50 footer is usually about 10-20mph more than ground level.  I don't want to think about at 100 feet.  Imagine being there in a lightening storm! :(

This is my taller tower in the picture. 

--TK

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2017, 01:09:42 AM »
You would be fine in lightning if you stayed in it, I'm sure they ground them well.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2017, 05:56:12 AM »
I have been in them and never noticed wind increased.

Coffee is on the boil!

rain is suppose to return later today.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2017, 06:20:29 AM »
Forest service had them here ...I don't know how tall , but they were up there ...No mountains here at all .
There was an abandoned unmanned one , near where I lived as kid... Over looked Biscayne Bay, Silver Buff, Matheson Hammock area.

They had a lock gate to keep people out.... didn't stop us kids though  :P   we considered it our FORT above the trees.
We were in it once (on the sneak) , and saw a Boat on fire. We got to a Phone Booth ( remember those ? ) and call the police who in turn call the Marine patrol.... they rescued the people , the yacht was totaled though .
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »
The survey says.....
SHERIFF
Hmm...I figured that I be a farmer or some kind of craftsman.

I got... saloon keeper. That would have been interesting. ;D

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2017, 08:23:55 AM »
Warning Will Robinson!!  THREAD DRIFT!!  WARNING WILL ROBINSON >> THREAD DRIFT!!  thread drift!!

IT'S Coffee!!  Remember??  The greatest elixir on the planet.  Well ... next to Ale that is.

Coffinmaker

Whaddya mean thread drift. ??? This has always been an early morning (sort of) get together. Even if I am  a coffee man myself I will not judge other pards on their preferences.  ::)

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2017, 08:36:59 AM »

Much worse! Got to remember the sailing ships are moving with the wind. So the relative wind is much less.

Don't ask me how I know this.  ;D

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee.

Micah's b'day party is after church at my folks.

'Tis 67 and cloudy. "Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers in the morning  then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the middle 70s. Light and variable wind. Chance of rain 50 percent."

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com