Author Topic: Black powder load for H&R carbine...  (Read 3452 times)

Offline flatapple

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Black powder load for H&R carbine...
« on: July 30, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »
I have a H&R Cavalry Model, 45-70 GOVT. carbine and would like to shoot black powder in it.  I have read the carbine load is 55gr. of black powder.  All I have on hand for bullets is .459, 545gr. SPG lube.  Are these okay to use or what is the proper/popular bullet?
BOSS #217
STORM 435

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 166
Re: Black powder load for H&R carbine...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »
Proper bullet is usually 405g for a trapdoor.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 05:21:36 PM »
The point in the 55 grain powder charge for the carbine load was to lessen the recoil in a lighter weapon, a big old 545 grain bullet will not help in that regard. I disassembled an original WRA blackpowder .45-70 carbine cartridge and it was loaded with a bullet that weighed 409.7 grains with 60 grains of black powder and a COL of 2.440. I'm also not sure if an H&R carbine has a fast enough twist to stabilize a 545 grain bullet if you are looking for top accuracy. Have fun! .45-70+blackpowder=FUN!
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:17:53 AM »

1860Henry

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:43:06 AM »
For my Trapdoor carbines, I am loading 55 grains of 1.5 F Kik or 2F Goex and Lee 459-405 HB .45-70 bullet. The bullet is 405 grains, has three deep lube grooves, and a hollow base. We cast these and size and lube in a Lubrisizer with homemade lube (about 50% beeswax and 50% sheep tallow).

The above load has been very accurate in my H&R carbine.  It has also been equally accurate in my original carbine and shoots well in rifles as well.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 04:18:01 PM »
Ho Bushwhacker,

If you are getting good performance from your load, no need to search further.  Go shoot!

Hold center.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

44caliberkid

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »
That Lee bullet was made for trapdoor rifles. It has a hollow base because bore dimensions varied so much in those original rifles and carbines. I shoot mine in a rifle, unsized, lubed with my home brew lube. Your bore is probably more standardized, but you could slug it to get exact dimensions. You have to order the mold direct from Lee, I don't think Midway or anyone else carries it as a stock item. You can also get a brass powder compression die from Lee. Compressing that powder charge in 45-70's scares the crap out me. Takes a lot of muscle on the lever. Lee also says to always use a wooden dowel or mallet to hit the sprue cutter, believe them!  I'm on my second one.

1860Henry

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 04:17:45 PM »
Thanks, fellows, but I was answering the original post.  I am quite satisfied with my load.  Also, I believe the Lee bullet I mentioned is a fairly close copy of the original Frankford Arsenal bullet developed for the .45-70 Govt. cartridge. 

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 09:57:59 PM »
You can shoot those 545 grain bullets, but they will be pretty brutal unless you load them way down. Back many years ago I had some 45-70-500 ammo I wanted to unload, and only a carbine with me. Well.... after a dozen or so rounds I quit. It made a 300 Win Mag seem tame. That night I discovered a bruise in my right shoulder in the exact shape of a Springfield buttplate, complete with impressions of the screw heads and slots! Ouch!

Swiss 1 1/2 F with the Lee 405 hollow base bullets will pretty much duplicate the original ballistics. 55 gr. with three card wads runs 1150 fps in an original carbine. 68 gr, in a rifle runs 1323 fps, with a std. dev. of 4.3 (!).   

Offline Seamus

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 11:47:28 AM »
You can get the hollow base 405g bullets from Buffalo Arms.  Works great in my original TD carbine. I also use a 55g load of 2F.

Seamus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com