Author Topic: What is this '73?  (Read 4733 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
What is this '73?
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:25:29 AM »
Is this just a typical Uberti? The case colors look almost too good. The pictures are bad but I am seeing more reds and yellows than I usually see in a typical Uberti.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/cowboy-action-rifles/navy-arms-1873-45-long-colt.cfm?gun_id=100881723

PS I have nothing to do with this rifle and I don't intend to buy it since it's .45 Colt and I want a .44-40.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: What is this '73?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 02:15:47 PM »
I guess I don't understand the question.  It is an old Navy Arms imported Uberti.  Nothing special about it.  Navy Arms has not imported Ubertis for seveal years.  At present Navy Arms sells Winchester 73s that have high grade wood and Turnbull case hardening.  The one is the picture is just a regular old Uberti, not a high grade Winchester that Navy currently sells.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »
I think the colors from Uberti (and Miroku) vary quite a bit.  A very big generalization would be to say that older ones might have tended to be a bit more colorful.  And both older and newer Ubertis, and some Miroku's I've seen as well, often come with a fairly plain frame with mostly grays, and a very colorful side plate.  Or less often the opposite.  The one in the ad above is pretty nice.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:23:58 PM »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 08:22:34 PM »
Yes I was thinking it might be one of the high grade Navy Arms/Miroku with real bone charcoal color case hardening. The Uberti's I have seen usually have blues, browns and grays. This one just seemed to have more yellows, reds and browns than the typical Uberti. If it was a high grade Navy Arms/Miroku I thought it might be a good deal for somebody that wanted a .45.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »
It says right in the ad that it is a Uberti so I guess I am still missing something.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
I have seen a few older Navy Arms imports that have much more vivid colors on the receiver than you usually see on today's Ubertis. In fact I have one myself.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »
Pettifogger, I know but it's a consignment at a Cabela's and they have been known to make mistakes fairly often. However, since I posted this I have looked at a number of Uberti '73's. Some of them do have very nice case colors. I realize now I was ignorant and I apologize for causing confusion.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 02:15:07 PM »
Pettifogger, I know but it's a consignment at a Cabela's and they have been known to make mistakes fairly often. However, since I posted this I have looked at a number of Uberti '73's. Some of them do have very nice case colors. I realize now I was ignorant and I apologize for causing confusion.

The colors vary a LOT from gun to gun.  I just picked up a new Uberti 73 and the colors are fairly muted.  Not nearly as nice as other recent models I have seen.  The current Navy Arms guns are imported from Miroku and then sent to Doug Turnbull for genuine color case hardening.  Since they are all semi-custom they are uniformly nice.  The standard Mirokus are on a par with Uberti.  I noticed that was from Cabelas.  The local Cabelas sells new in the box Ubertis cheaper than the one listed.  I was kind of surprised at the high price.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »
PLUS ONE to Pettifogger.  Larsen E. has been some quicker onna trigger than I have lately.  However.  Ben quite some time since Navy Arms retailed Uberti built, Navy Arms marked '73s.  It's a consignment.  Consignment means it's USED.  Price is quite high for a USED Uberti 1873.  Regardless of the sellers description, it's still USED.  No Way.

Coffinmaker

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »
If only it wasn't a .45.  I don't care much for any of the reproductions, but the case color on this gun comes as close to an original 1873 Winchester as any I've ever seen.  

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
I think the colors from Uberti (and Miroku) vary quite a bit.  A very big generalization would be to say that older ones might have tended to be a bit more colorful.  And both older and newer Ubertis, and some Miroku's I've seen as well, often come with a fairly plain frame with mostly grays, and a very colorful side plate.  Or less often the opposite.  The one in the ad above is pretty nice.

On my new Winchester/Miroku the case colors are mostly grays
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
On my new Winchester/Miroku the case colors are mostly grays
My wife got a new one last year and it's like that.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com