Author Topic: Chronograph testing  (Read 8507 times)

45 Dragoon

Re: Chronograph testing
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »
Hmmm .  .  .  .   wonder if ya could get a little "card" of bacon in there too .  .  .  . 

(Sounds good Bunk!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 12:14:55 PM »
Noz  had a good reason if "a reason" was needed for a chrono'. I, in my early days of reloading would say at times "to heck" with starting out at the published starting load and go right to the listed maximum or just a little under what was in a load manual. I made a 4" 'Howitzer' out of my duty carried Colt Trooper .357 revolver with hot 110, 125, and 140 grain JHP's and gas checked hard cast bullets using Unique and 2400. OUCH! Them things would beller and buck-even loud with ear plugs. After a short learning stint, I gained some wisdom and self control with the powder measure. (Similar reasoning with CM's 45 Colt Atomic Bombs.) I can see if a shooter was playing around with a lot of unknown powder volumes/weights, a need could be justified for a need to know fps for the 'experiments', but ya would be in the dark of pressure being generated. Reasons for and against using with black powder firearms has already been addressed pretty much.

Reference Coffinmakers "Bob"--who "Bob" is, he comes from the same outfit as "They", as in "They say". Bacon and Cream of Wheat---making me hungry for them...Who is the proverbial "Them"?  Related maybe to "Bob and They"? A SciFi movie was made back in the early fifty's called "Them"! Remember it---starring a young actor by the name of James Arness.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 04:01:05 PM »
Whoa there Choker!!!

WE are not suppose to acknowledge we are old enough to remember a movie titled "THEM."  Nor are we suppose to remember the leading BAD GUY in a movie titled "THE THING" was also James Arness. 

Some times I think I'm an ANTIQUE  :P

Coffinmaker

PS:  Thanks fer gettin me out from under dat BUS  ;)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:29:12 PM »

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »
My first chronograph was made by Herter's (remember them) that used a pait of pencil leads for screens and had a row of lights to give the number that converted to velocity. I got it for testing loads for checking variation of velocity to get the most accurate loads. It was a PITA to use (try to line up and hit two pencil leads 10 feet apart at 10 feet from the "start" lead.

I got a modern one which was  back in the late 1980's trying to duplicate the ballistics of white box match 7.62 NATO for high power service rifle competition. That one I still have, it still works, but for CAS gun powder loads velocity is not important, and accuracy in measured in "minute of Volkswagon".
I have been around a while also starting with DuPont Orange Extra Sporting Powder and I wish I still had that can.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
Bunk .....

That would actually be "Minute of Volkswagen Micro Bus."

Coffinmaker

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »
Don't own a chono.,,,but will someday,,,and a "BIG THANK YOU" to all those who have took the time to cono., their results,,so folk's like me have can have a safe place to start with my reloading,,,"keep up the good work. "THANK YOU AGAIN".

smoke'm if y'a got'm,,,Hootmix.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »
Ho the fire,

Graphing bp loads does make sense.  Go for minimum SD.  Consistent velocity is your goal.  It may, or may not be, a compressed load.  Some compressed loads blow out unburnt powder that burns in the air beyond the muzzle.  That makes nice flames and boom, but it contributes absolutely nothing to your accuracy.  So, for show, go with absolute max loads of bp, but your guns may do better with less compression.  Rifles tend to have enough bore to burn the max loads.  In all likelyhood your pistols do not.

To load the same ammo for both rifle and pistol, go with what the pistol likes.  Your rifle won't know the difference at SASS distances.  Graph 'em and see what gives the smallest SD.  Go with that and don't look back.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »
Ho the fire,

Graphing bp loads does make sense.  Go for minimum SD.  Consistent velocity is your goal.  It may, or may not be, a compressed load.  Some compressed loads blow out unburnt powder that burns in the air beyond the muzzle.  That makes nice flames and boom, but it contributes absolutely nothing to your accuracy.  So, for show, go with absolute max loads of bp, but your guns may do better with less compression.  Rifles tend to have enough bore to burn the max loads.  In all likelyhood your pistols do not.

To load the same ammo for both rifle and pistol, go with what the pistol likes.  Your rifle won't know the difference at SASS distances.  Graph 'em and see what gives the smallest SD.  Go with that and don't look back.

DD-MDA

Dick and all
Someplace back in the dim shadows of my memory this old ryhme got implanted in my brain  ""if you wanna killem dead, ram the powder not the lead""   someone here might have heard that?? I have no idea where it came from or when - anyways it set me to thinkin - theres a lot of stuff been written about compression of powder in BP cartridge - never seen it talked about for front loaders -----I set up the chrony to play one day and tested various loading techniques in my flinter - now I allways tried to be consistent in my loading - cept for one time I got talkin and dumped down an extra measure of powder - so I rammed that powder charge as even as I could, three gentle but solid bumps, aiming for as consistent pressure as I could do, got nice consistent velocity - (its a 45 running around 1450fps)  but soon as I did anything different it opened up to 70 - 80 fps variation - enough to cause some grief at longer ranges (not something I do with this gun) -----44 pistol gave about 740fps with the load we use for targets   

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 10:55:47 AM »
Dick and greyhawk: Ya posted some interesting and valid reasons to maybe use a chronoy for blackpowder, esp for muzzleloaders. Guess though for my shooting, I'll still pass on the expense and use preprinted material already giving info already chronographed. Realize certain varible's are there, ie weather, powder lot, bore, patch used, lube, and everything else that would make the guy who used a chrono and wrote it down and what is present if I attempt to duplicate the testers load, guess it's sort of getting close to 'shootin by the seat of your pants'. End result of duplicating material should be fairly close though.
My first chronograph was made by Herter's (remember them)
You bet Buck----My Dad got his first catalog from them around 1963--devoured every page and believed every George Herter claim and word "(Drug store outdoorsman"--was a favorite). Bought a lot of products from them (still have a lot of them), then around 1970 when friends and I were old enough, a Saturday afternoon trip 90 some mile trip to Waseca, Minn from our NorthIowa home was always an adventure. To bad they closed--forerunner of Cabela type places.
Coffinmaker: James Arness in "The Thing"--ya that was a "Goody"!

Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 12:05:38 PM »
Gents the BEST (and I mean it) Chronograph on the market is the MagnetoSporter ...
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/896627/magnetospeed-sporter-chronograph
The price has dropped from $229 to $159.  Also be sure to buy the XFR Interface to connect to your cell phone - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/896627/magnetospeed-sporter-chronograph - $25

The MagnetoSpeed Sporter chronograph kit was designed to be used on barrels from .5" up to an 1" in diameter. It can also accommodate muzzle brakes, flash hiders, etc. up to 2.7 inches in length. Ideal for contoured rifle barrels (sporter barrels) and long-barreled revolvers. The MagnetoSpeed chronographs use ground breaking electromagnetic sensors, instead of problematic optical sensors, to eliminate common chronograph problems. They are easy to setup, impervious to light conditions, do not blow over from wind and can fit into your range bag. The MagnetoSpeed Sporter is the hassle free way to measure the velocity of your next hunting or target round.
Plus: you can use it indoors or in the dark because it reads by sensors instead of screens. And a nifty John Boy tip: to measure rifles with magazine tubes, mount the Sporter upside down on top of the barrel to obtain the proper distance above the muzzle  ;D

I've measured 22LR up to 50-70 black powder with accuracy ... in the basement
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »
Dick and greyhawk: Ya posted some interesting and valid reasons to maybe use a chronoy for blackpowder, esp for muzzleloaders. Guess though for my shooting, I'll still pass on the expense and use preprinted material already giving info already chronographed. Realize certain varible's are there, ie weather, powder lot, bore, patch used, lube, and everything else that would make the guy who used a chrono and wrote it down and what is present if I attempt to duplicate the testers load, guess it's sort of getting close to 'shootin by the seat of your pants'. End result of duplicating material should be fairly close though.You bet Buck----My Dad got his first catalog from them around 1963--devoured every page and believed every George Herter claim and word "(Drug store outdoorsman"--was a favorite). Bought a lot of products from them (still have a lot of them), then around 1970 when friends and I were old enough, a Saturday afternoon trip 90 some mile trip to Waseca, Minn from our NorthIowa home was always an adventure. To bad they closed--forerunner of Cabela type places.
Coffinmaker: James Arness in "The Thing"--ya that was a "Goody"!

Hey Crow Choker
Ya got it right ! I cant think of a valid reason for me to own a chronograph - except that I wanted one and it was there  ;D- all it does really (as you say in yr post) is reinforce the message on stuff we already know or someone else has already done - even that tho is fun sometimes - and it requires more shots to be fired that would otherwise be deemed un neccessary (thats gotta be good hey!) - I see a valid place for it in long range BPCR load develpment - but even there I bet most of the blokes that win dont own one? I was working with roll yer own blackpowder was my main impetus and for that it was a good thing - helped a lot to know just what was going on . I guess in the cold light of day most of what we do dont make sense - I just say to people "hey I knowed for a long time that I am crazy - you just figured it out? you are slow!" .....I reckon the best info I got starting in muzzle loaders was Sam Fadalas books - some fellers I met thought Sam didnt know much but I found I could usually put a better score down than them so I stuck with it. If I got stuck on something - not working - I always tell meself (however many times I need tellin) "you know zero about this - nothing ! get it !-- ok now whats out there that might sort it - go look" --- internet is an amazing resource once you figure out how to sort stuff. Hey I saw a post tother day - our generation (that grew up without internet) is using this resource to educate ourselves - click of a button saves us hours and hours and we can find out anything we need or want - kids that grew up with it in their face are using it to make themselves dumber ! How sad is that? Well have a good day and thanks for the conversation. G

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 09:49:37 AM »
"internet is an amazing resource once you figure out how to sort stuff. Hey I saw a post tother day - our generation (that grew up without internet) is using this resource to educate ourselves - click of a button saves us hours and hours and we can find out anything we need or want - kids that grew up with it in their face are using it to make themselves dumber ! How sad is that? Well have a good day and thanks for the conversation. G "

I somewhat agree, as I have seen many bright young folk. Computers are tools, and you still have to "hold your tongue right" to benefit from them.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com