Author Topic: Goex vs Pyrodex part deux  (Read 8721 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Goex vs Pyrodex part deux
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
Or use an actual cotton athletic sock. Dump the powder in it, hold it by the top and the bottom and shift it back and forth. The fines will stick to the inside of the sock. If you want to reuse the sock just wash it. The more powder you put in at one time the less effective it will be.
wM1
PS most of the dust in BP is graphite that is used to coat the powder granules.

Maybe I got a bit carried away with that !
Coupla points
1)no in my blackpowder it aint graphite I dont put graphite in the mix at all - charcoal - saltpeter - sulphur
2)my opine the correct size screens would do a better job than rollin it round in a sock which to me seems like a darn good idee invented by some clever dude who couldnt find or afford the screens.
3) I added in some extraneous detail cuz some of us used to shoot copious quantities of fireworks grades 4FA and 5FA in order to save a buck - its the same qualty powder just not as carefully graded (screened) - I alus bought the ungraphited version ifn I could get it - 25lb bags of 5FA -ug Goex - up until the Moosic plant blew up in the late 1990's - then Chinese stuff after that
ps aploogies for borin ya with this - thought it might help someone is all 

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 10:41:42 AM »
Most folks don't roll their own. For those that don't and shoot dirty powder, sock it. Iffen ya use Schuetzen, Swiss Or OE no need ta sock it.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »
man oh man that seem to slide past every one...It's a joke son
I actually wear socks and shoes every day not just for church on Sunday.
At CAS range going through that extra "socking" would be a waste of time.
I like my gun powder straight from the can. Real gun powder that is. No subs for Bunk.
Bunk

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:01:33 AM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »

Waste of time in silhouette, midrange and long range bptr as well.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 08:41:31 PM »
Waste of time in silhouette, midrange and long range bptr as well.

Ranch 13
we were buyin that GOEX 5FA for about half the price (or less) of canned rifle powder - same plant, same powder, just not as carefully graded (although it was pretty good) later the chinese stuff was way more variable (cheaper too and all we could get for a while) 4FA Chinese ran all the way from a few grains of cannon to FFFFg priming - most of it FFG and FFFG - screening that stuff was a definite plus - cut my velocity variation over the chrony to less than half - our choice is wano or swiss - most blokes put up with wano because they reckon swiss is too dear - last time I looked wano was $90 a kilo and swiss way over $100 -I still have GOEX on hand and a fair amount of graded out chinese - would not need to buy powder for several yrs anyway - my set of screens cost me less than 20bucks - it maybe a waste of time with the expensive powders but has paid off my end . Still have not took the sock idea seriously tho.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »
man oh man that seem to slide past every one...It's a joke son
I actually wear socks and shoes every day not just for church on Sunday.
I like my gun powder straight from the can. Real gun powder that is. No subs for Bunk.
Bunk
Hey Bunk
Ya almost had me there for a bit - the sock thing didnt make sense - ladies stocking might have - I drag me feet a bit - kinda had this mental picture of that sock detonating from the sparks off me hobnail boots .......... wonder what the trajectory would be like on that .??? 

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 09:24:29 PM »
I kinda miss not seeing the 5FA. I remember buying 50 lbs of it for the shotgun & revolvers. From the Goex website it was the same screening as FFFg just not graphited. I had heard it was a little quicker powder. Can you still buy it anywhere?
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 08:50:48 AM »
I kinda miss not seeing the 5FA. I remember buying 50 lbs of it for the shotgun & revolvers. From the Goex website it was the same screening as FFFg just not graphited. I had heard it was a little quicker powder. Can you still buy it anywhere?

Friend of mine chronoed a lot of loads - he said 5FA at least 10% qicker than FFFg - he used to buy 50lb and we'd split it. I built a good stash over time - still regret the stuff I sold on to other fellers - we screened some and got a little FFFFg out - mainly I think the ungaphited helped it - we dont see GOEX of any sort in Aus any more - used to get it from Howard and sons (pyrotechnics mob) they had a blowup at their plant round about the same time GOEX blew up at Moosic Pa - by time they got back on track they decided to switch to Chinese powder - proly a lot cheaper and its way closer for freight - the chinese stuff was good at the start - later stuff was dirty in the bore - we only see swiss and wano as commercial rifle powder now - wano looks nice in the can, shoots consistent but its slow compared to goex.   

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2017, 04:51:24 PM »
Greyhawk .....

HA!!  You just thought it was for free  ::).  Me-n-Pettifogger are still figuring up our bills.  Gotta include long (really long) distance charges,  Special handling (keep it from floating off down under), Special double charge for a Harmonious outcome and of course there is the ubiquitous discount for the free unsolicited testimonial from the recipient. 

Since I can add 2 and 2, come up with 5, seven out of 9 tries, it may take me a while.  Rest assured though, I are working on it.  Just don't wait around for it.  Like I said, with my math and figuring in discounts and all, it'll take a while.  ::)

Coffinmaker  ;D

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2017, 08:36:10 PM »
Greyhawk .....

HA!!  You just thought it was for free  ::).  Me-n-Pettifogger are still figuring up our bills.  Gotta include long (really long) distance charges,  Special handling (keep it from floating off down under), Special double charge for a Harmonious outcome and of course there is the ubiquitous discount for the free unsolicited testimonial from the recipient. 

Since I can add 2 and 2, come up with 5, seven out of 9 tries, it may take me a while.  Rest assured though, I are working on it.  Just don't wait around for it.  Like I said, with my math and figuring in discounts and all, it'll take a while.  ::)

Coffinmaker  ;D

Well old son !! good luck with your devious dollar scheme - youse ll have ta com n get it -- see ya shouldna told me how ta do it -- the horse has bolted mate! - now when you come ashore from yr leaky lil boat with yr powder half wet I can plink yous from afar with that nasty ole walker rested over a log like uncle Sam meant it - an ifn one of yr pards survives that, I got me that bullseye shootin army colt to git im with before he gits close enough to spray me with his slicked up cowboy gun that only hits big things up close. On tother hand IF ya act frenly ...... fires goin ......coffees on ..........

ps the walker (CVA branded) is an Army San Marco - we found the box - sent here from the US by M S S Company , New Market Tennessee. - Back when we could still do stuff like that. ! 

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2017, 04:52:07 AM »
Never tried socking powder for cartridge guns. Used to do it all the time for front stuffers shooting long range.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com