Author Topic: NWMP Mountie Portrayal  (Read 40152 times)

Offline Sergeant Klondike

• Texas Territorial Detachment
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life Member, SASS 11461
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NWMP Mountie Portrayal
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »
PJ,  I think you're right about adding steel runners. 
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »
Ed,   I agree, once it's loaded I'll be able to tell how must actual pulling resistance it has.  If it's not bad, I'll take it to a few matches and see how it does in the field.  If it ends up becoming uncomfortable to pull, I'll add wheels. 
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2017, 09:50:06 AM »
Thanks, Coal Creek Griff!  I appreciate you taking the time to scan and email a high-resolution NWMP logo.  I ordered two 5-inch iron-on decals for the canvas sides.   

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 07:20:21 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2017, 10:23:32 AM »
That looks GREAT!  I'm glad to have been able to help.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »
I still regret not having purchased an 'as new' rcmp cape with the beautiful buffalo head devices that connected to the chain closure. At the time I had a similar cape from the Royal Military College I use in my RE portrayal.

I also balked on an 'as new' Winnipeg Police buffalo coat that fit me perfectly. Could have had it for $750. It had a tag on it for $900 at a show and I walked away to think on it, came back and it was gone.

Snooze - ya loose.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »
I think we've all been in the same boat before.  I've let a few great deals slip through my fingers.  I try very hard to not let that happen nowadays. 

That's a shame about the buffalo coat.  I have one that keeps me toasty during the winter.       

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2017, 08:30:13 AM »
Working on my extreme winter look. 

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2017, 10:08:34 AM »
WOW!! Gorgeous. Making me hot just looking atcha. Curious but how many Mounties got mistook for sasquarches? I will definitely have to get one of those hats for my outfit before winter.

PJ. Just found this. Theres an outfit called Fur Hat World that lists a muskrat fur rcmp hat for 140.00 including shipping. Good reviews. Probably get one next payday.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »
The rcmp are no longer issuing the muskrat winter hats - too expensive. Last one I saw was asking $350.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »
Next step.... Staining and lettering the two boxes.   Build a raised box frame behind the seat at the same height as the bed.  Finally, build the rifle rack.   Probably, moving the Winchester ammo box 8 inches back towards the seat.  I'm going to move the box in different positions once the rifle rack is built, to see what works and looks best.   

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »
Like your box joinery there Klondike.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2017, 02:29:38 PM »
You're quite an artisan! Good lookin' work.

That sled is gonna weigh a mite when fully loaded. I predict some discreet wheels 'ere long .....

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »
This isn't the actual box frame.  Just a pine prototype to work out the kinks.  One issue I found so far.  The box needs to mount approximately 1.5 inches away from the back of the seat.  If not, the box lid will not open all the way.   

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »
This is amazing!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2017, 04:03:04 PM »
You're quite an artisan! Good lookin' work.

That sled is gonna weigh a mite when fully loaded. I predict some discreet wheels 'ere long .....

Thanks, PJ, It's going to be nip and tuck on the wheels.  A few fields tests should tell it.   I bought two sections of 6 foot by 2-inch flat stock steel to bolt on the bottom of the runners.  Hopefully, that will assist in gliding.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »
This is amazing!

Thanks, Good Troy!   It's been a fun project.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2017, 08:08:54 AM »
Well Sarge, now all you need is snow.  :D   I sure would like to see the faces on your shooting pards when you roll in with that whole outfit.  You certainly deserve a trophy for "Spirit of the game".

Cheers!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »
thHowdy fellas, sorry to butt in but you guys should know the answer to my question.  At ShotShow a couple years ago, I was showing the Cimarron NWMP 1876 to a guy from Canada, and then he told me he was a Mountie and he gave me a lapel pin such as Sergeant Klondike is wearing (not sure on his, but this one has red in the crown).  I have been wearing it on my vest lapel for CAS.  If asked, the story is that I helped the NWMP catch a criminal and they gave it to me.  Anyways, I am curious if this design dates back to the 19th century or if it is a more modern design?  Thanks!

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2017, 02:21:19 PM »
thHowdy fellas, sorry to butt in but you guys should know the answer to my question.  At ShotShow a couple years ago, I was showing the Cimarron NWMP 1876 to a guy from Canada, and then he told me he was a Mountie and he gave me a lapel pin such as Sergeant Klondike is wearing (not sure on his, but this one has red in the crown).  I have been wearing it on my vest lapel for CAS.  If asked, the story is that I helped the NWMP catch a criminal and they gave it to me.  Anyways, I am curious if this design dates back to the 19th century or if it is a more modern design?  Thanks!

If it has red in the crown, then it is from 1954 to present.  The crest on Sgt Klondike's sled is "probably" commemorative, as it has the modern Queens crown and, it doesn't match any official crest of the NWMP.  The NWMP crest has the word Canada right under the crown, the full words NWMP on the ribbon at the bottom of the crest and MAINTIENS . LE . DROIT Is on the ribbon surrounding the buffalo head.  The RNWMP crest is the same except for the added word, Royal.  The first RCMP crest (1920-1954) is similar to the current one except the wreath was wider at the bottom and narrower at the top and in 1954 the crown changed from the King's crown to the Queen's crown and the little what looks like a bow tie at the bottom, disappeared.   Hope this helps.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »
If it has red in the crown, then it is from 1954 to present.  The crest on Sgt Klondike's sled is "probably" commemorative, as it has the modern Queens crown and, it doesn't match any official crest of the NWMP.  The NWMP crest has the word Canada right under the crown, the full words NWMP on the ribbon at the bottom of the crest and MAINTIENS . LE . DROIT Is on the ribbon surrounding the buffalo head.  The RNWMP crest is the same except for the added word, Royal.  The first RCMP crest (1920-1954) is similar to the current one except the wreath was wider at the bottom and narrower at the top and in 1954 the crown changed from the King's crown to the Queen's crown and the little what looks like a bow tie at the bottom, disappeared.   Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for all the details.  Well even though this one does not date to frontier times, it still does in my story and I really like it.  It is a beautiful little pin.  Took a pic of mine:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com