Author Topic: NWMP Mountie Portrayal  (Read 39615 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: RCMP Mountie Portrayal
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »
"Dudley Doolittle" digs notwithstanding, you definitely are doing it right. Being ex-Regular Army and a Victorian re-enactor, I can vouch for the work and effort it takes to be Regimentaly correct - the ONLY way to do the impression.

My 1860's RE uniform was made in Toronto by the outfit that makes the uniforms for the Guards that perform on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. My repro medals are of high quality.

I served two years as a reservist after 10 years Reg Army and it used to take me an hour to don my Seaforth Highlander dress uniform AFTER things were polished, spit shined, brushed, blancoed, etc. The horse hair sporran had three brass components that needed to be removed in order to polish them. You needed a button hook to do up your white spats.

I also do Mexican Revolution as a Brit Soldier of Fortune, wearing puttees. I could also do an impression of "Steele's Scouts", the ad hoc Cowboy Cavalry formed during the 1885 Rebelllion. These guys were mostly working Cowboys, many of them Americans (some on the lam) and were required to swear an oath of allegiance to Queen Victoria.

They were issued a horse, saddle (if required), rifle and pistol (if required) and after the dust settled, they got the service medal and 160 acre land exemption.

A good book on the unit is "Cowboy Cavalry" by Gordon Tolton. I met him at Fort Whoop Up where he was working in the gift shop. I told him how much I enjoyed the book and he said - "Thank you. I wrote it"!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Sergeant Klondike

• Texas Territorial Detachment
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life Member, SASS 11461
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 06:22:08 PM »
"Dudley Doolittle" digs notwithstanding, you definitely are doing it right. Being ex-Regular Army and a Victorian re-enactor, I can vouch for the work and effort it takes to be Regimentaly correct - the ONLY way to do the impression.

My 1860's RE uniform was made in Toronto by the outfit that makes the uniforms for the Guards that perform on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. My repro medals are of high quality.

I served two years as a reservist after 10 years Reg Army and it used to take me an hour to don my Seaforth Highlander dress uniform AFTER things were polished, spit shined, brushed, blancoed, etc. The horse hair sporran had three brass components that needed to be removed in order to polish them. You needed a button hook to do up your white spats.

I also do Mexican Revolution as a Brit Soldier of Fortune, wearing puttees. I could also do an impression of "Steele's Scouts", the ad hoc Cowboy Cavalry formed during the 1885 Rebelllion. These guys were mostly working Cowboys, many of them Americans (some on the lam) and were required to swear an oath of allegiance to Queen Victoria.

They were issued a horse, saddle (if required), rifle and pistol (if required) and after the dust settled, they got the service medal and 160 acre land exemption.

A good book on the unit is "Cowboy Cavalry" by Gordon Tolton. I met him at Fort Whoop Up where he was working in the gift shop. I told him how much I enjoyed the book and he said - "Thank you. I wrote it"!

Thanks, I think it's worth the effort, time and money to do it right.   Sounds like you've spent a great deal of time and money on your portrayals.   I'm going to google "Cowboy Cavalry" to see if I can find a copy.  Thanks for the referral and history lesson.  The great thing about boards like this.   You always learn from the members. 
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 06:30:09 PM »
PJ Hardtack,   

I found and purchased the book on Amazon.com for $33.88

"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Advertising

Re: NWMP Mountie Portrayal
« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:49:11 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »
Great! You'll enjoy it and learn a lot about our common history before the 49th became a wall along the DMZ, only penetrable by illegal immigrants crossing it by hundreds daily, delivered by bus and taxi.

Tolton has other titles as well, all of them about the history of the era. I asked him if there was any money in writing about Canadian history. Answer: "No, it's a ticket to the poor house, but I can't help it. Somebody has to tell the story."

Gotta admire a man like that!

Yes, I've invested a lot in my portrayals over the years in uniforms, medals, rifles, bayonets, travel, etc. It was a lot of fun and a joy to educate the unwashed, unletterred, unappreciative public about the history of their country prior to political correctness.

It irritated the hell out of me explaining that I was NOT a member of the NWMP but a Royal Engineer circa 1858-63, the era of the Cariboo Gold Rush. In Canada, the red serge automatically means NWMP/RCMP in people's minds. I took great delight in 'splaining that the upstart NWMP never came along until 1873.

Here's a trick for you - if you can't 'splain adequately from the era, you draw a line in the dirt and step across into the current time frame. Do your 'splaining and then step back into your era.

Some things cannot be interpreted otherwise.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 10:57:19 AM »
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
I used to watch Dudley Do Right when I was a kid.   Dudley must be past mandatory retirement age :)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 05:42:51 PM »
I used to watch Dudley Do Right when I was a kid.   Dudley must be past mandatory retirement age :)

He can't retire as long as Snidely Whiplash is on the loose! Who would rescue Nell from the train tracks?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »
My Mountie gear acquisition is coming along nicely! 

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 06:50:37 PM »
Looking real good. Don't forget the white lanyard. Where did you get your tunic? Nice looking. Here I am in my RE tunic made by Coon Creek Old West.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 07:13:37 PM »
Looking real good. Don't forget the white lanyard. Where did you get your tunic? Nice looking. Here I am in my RE tunic made by Coon Creek Old West.

Thanks, Ed

I have the lanyard, just didn't have it on for the photo.   I bought 2 tunics an original and a reproduction.  The one in the photos is the reproduction.  I bought it off ebay for under $100.  The seller has tunics in all different sizes.  If you're in the market for one.  Go on Ebay and type in RCMP Red Serge or Tunic.  He didn't have my size listed, so I messaged him.  That's how I found out he stocks all the sizes. 

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 07:50:23 PM »
That looks GREAT! (From an ignorant American who only had good feelings about the RCMP/NWMP prior to reading what some of our Canadian pards have written here.)

CC Griff

P.S.  I have appreciated the RCMP response to various police funerals over the years.
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 08:07:34 PM »
That looks GREAT! (From an ignorant American who only had good feelings about the RCMP/NWMP prior to reading what some of our Canadian pards have written here.)

CC Griff

P.S.  I have appreciated the RCMP response to various police funerals over the years.

Thanks, Coal Creek

I always had nothing but respect for the NWMP/RCMP too.   It's a shame they've apparently lost a step or two in the eyes of their citizens.  I totally agree they've had a good presence at American police funerals. 

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 09:03:34 PM »
I forgot to ask but what pistol are you carrying, Mountie txchuckcook? I carried my .45 New Services when I wore my red tunic and swapped out my RE collar insignia for RCMP insignia. Did your outfit come from Singapore? That the only one that I see.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
I forgot to ask but what pistol are you carrying, Mountie txchuckcook? I carried my .45 New Services when I wore my red tunic and swapped out my RE collar insignia for RCMP insignia. Did your outfit come from Singapore? That the only one that I see.

Singapore is the correct one.  Barry is the person I contacted.  I believe he's the contact or partner in the states.  He was very easy to work with.  The first tunic they sent did not fit.  I sent it back and they exchanged it.   As of now, I'm using a Colt 45LC.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 09:15:46 PM »
Thanks, Coal Creek

I always had nothing but respect for the NWMP/RCMP too.   It's a shame they've apparently lost a step or two in the eyes of their citizens.  I totally agree they've had a good presence at American police funerals. 

More than just a step or two, I assure you. Their anti-gun track record over the last few years has dropped their popularity with the general public immensely. One of Sir Robert Peel's principles of good and effective policing is willing public support. The modern rcmp (note the lack of capitals) has utterly disregarded that.

There are still many good Mounties out there, the problem is with their politicized upper management. A national police force ought not to be making up arbitrary rules re: what guns vetted, licenced gun owners can have and under what conditions. That is more than a little over the top, more like one would expect from a Third World police state.

You guys are representing them from an era where they were still held in high regard - except for out native and Metis populations. They still hold grudges stemming from historic wrongs as the enforcers of government policy.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 09:39:14 PM »
More than just a step or two, I assure you. Their anti-gun track record over the last few years has dropped their popularity with the general public immensely. One of Sir Robert Peel's principles of good and effective policing is willing public support. The modern rcmp (note the lack of capitals) has utterly disregarded that.

There are still many good Mounties out there, the problem is with their politicized upper management. A national police force ought not to be making up arbitrary rules re: what guns vetted, licenced gun owners can have and under what conditions. That is more than a little over the top, more like one would expect from a Third World police state.

You guys are representing them from an era where they were still held in high regard - except for out native and Metis populations. They still hold grudges stemming from historic wrongs as the enforcers of government policy.

I wouldn't be happy at all with arbitrary rules on firearms by law enforcement either.  We have a hard enough time dealing with liberal Democrats.  Most of them have zero knowledge on firearms.  Their lack of knowledge never stops them from talking and trying to pass anti-gun legistation.    I've read several posts by members of the RCMP.  Apparently, some of the rank and file have concerns with their leadership.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 10:05:33 PM »
Thanks, Ed

I have the lanyard, just didn't have it on for the photo.   I bought 2 tunics an original and a reproduction.  The one in the photos is the reproduction.  I bought it off ebay for under $100.  The seller has tunics in all different sizes.  If you're in the market for one.  Go on Ebay and type in RCMP Red Serge or Tunic.  He didn't have my size listed, so I messaged him.  That's how I found out he stocks all the sizes. 

Make sure that your lanyard knot touches your top button.  Sgt Preston missed this a few times.  Now you need the RCMP metal tags for the shoulder boards.  Also why not promote yourself to Sgt. three hooks and a crown worn on only the right arm.  Might as well give yourself 2 or 3 service stars (each 5 yrs service) worn on the upper left arm mid way between elbow and shoulder.

The RCMP is still a good outfit, They just badly need a leadership adjustment at the senior level. 
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2017, 10:20:38 PM »
Make sure that your lanyard knot touches your top button.  Sgt Preston missed this a few times.  Now you need the RCMP metal tags for the shoulder boards.  Also why not promote yourself to Sgt. three hooks and a crown worn on only the right arm.  Might as well give yourself 2 or 3 service stars (each 5 yrs service) worn on the upper left arm mid way between elbow and shoulder.

The RCMP is still a good outfit, They just badly need a leadership adjustment at the senior level. 

Creek,

That's good info on the lanyard knot.  I wasn't aware of the knot rule, I appreciate the heads up.  I purchased a pair of RCMP shoulder titles last week.  They haven't arrived yet.  I've been keeping an eye out for Sgt stripes with crown, service stars, crossed pistols and crossed rifles.   I'm sure they will turn up soon.   

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2017, 10:29:54 PM »

Ed,  That's a good photo!

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2017, 11:29:11 PM »
We were talking about RCMP members attending law enforcement funerals.  Here's a photo from 2009.  This picture shows maybe half of the Mounties that were there as they prepared to march in.  It was very impressive and a great show of support to the families of the four fallen officers.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com