Author Topic: NWMP Mountie Portrayal  (Read 39638 times)

Offline Sergeant Klondike

• Texas Territorial Detachment
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life Member, SASS 11461
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NWMP Mountie Portrayal
« on: July 23, 2017, 05:11:27 PM »
Greeting,

Growing up I often watched Sergeant Preston of the Yukon.  Has anyone done an impression/portrayal of a Mountie?   I recently started gathering uniform items for an accurate Mountie portrayal.    

"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: RCMP Mountie Portrayal
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:16:40 PM »
Whoop-Up Roy from Flin Flon, Manitoba and Sgt Burnt Ass from Alberta, both wore period NWMP uniforms  Sgt Burnt Ass was a real Mountie in his younger days
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:05:08 PM »
I did a Sgt Preston a few years ago. Ive got the red tunic as you can see in my avatar photo, I carried my New Service Colts, Sam Brown belt, wore a brown DI hat with the belt hat band and carried a stuffed plush Husky to each stage. I even have a Sgt Preston signed whistle. I've got a NWMP 76 carbine (repro) but am working on a full stocked 73 Spanish Contract Carbine that looks alot like the 76 src. I've got buttons and insignia too. I also grew up watching Saturday morning tv, Sgt Preston, Foreign Legionaries, Sky King.  Good stuff.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

Re: NWMP Mountie Portrayal
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:10:25 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »
The surplus shops and antique shops in Canuckistan always have a stock of RCMP kit. There is a high turn over of personnel as the rank & file gets quickly disillusioned by senior management.

Our once iconic national police force is no longer held in high esteem due to repeated incidents such as the High River and Slave Lake gun grabs when thousands of firearms were seized from abandoned homes after a major fire and a catastrophic flood.

They make arbitrary rules about what guns we can own under what conditions based on colour ('black' guns are 'bad'), barrel length, calibre, magazine capacity, etc. We do not regard the force as our "friends" and most Canadians in CAS would not care to do an NWMP/RCMP impression.

The movie and TV images are from a long gone era. The reality of today is far different. Today we have RCMP members wearing turbans and niqabs.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 06:18:57 PM »
The surplus shops and antique shops in Canuckistan always have a stock of RCMP kit. There is a high turn over of personnel as the rank & file gets quickly disillusioned by senior management.

Our once iconic national police force is no longer held in high esteem due to repeated incidents such as the High River and Slave Lake gun grabs when thousands of firearms were seized from abandoned homes after a major fire and a catastrophic flood.

They make arbitrary rules about what guns we can own under what conditions based on colour ('black' guns are 'bad'), barrel length, calibre, magazine capacity, etc. We do not regard the force as our "friends" and most Canadians in CAS would not care to do an NWMP/RCMP impression.

The movie and TV images are from a long gone era. The reality of today is far different. Today we have RCMP members wearing turbans and niqabs.

Wow.... I hate to hear that.  When I think of Canada, it's natural to fondly think of the iconic RCMP.  I retired 5 years as a Trooper with the Texas Highway Patrol.  10-12 years ago the Highway Patrol and RCMP had an exchange program.  6 Mounties were stationed at my duty station for 2 or 3 weeks.  They were great guys.  It was nice having them work side by side with us.   Several of us have maintained our friendships.
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 07:06:23 PM »
We also regret the current state of affairs re: the rcmp. You'll note that like many, I choose not to capitalize their initials.

Historically, as our west expanded, the NWMP was given carte blanche to write the book on 'gun control'. They decided who could own what even then.
The iconic Canadian hero Sam Steele rode herd on the mining and railroad construction camps, maintaining the peace, which amounted to civil disarmament. This carried on into the Yukon during the Gold Rush.

After his service in the Boer war, he was seconded to the South African Constabulary where he implemented 'gun control', disarming the Boers, blacks and Chinese, issuing permits to those he deemed acceptable. In other words, he took 'gun control' to Africa.

Today, it is a tag team game between the rcmp and the gov't of the day, each pointing at the other saying - "Don't blame us, it's them."
The gov't has allowed the rcmp to make arbitrary decisions about what guns, calibres, etc. we can own. This makes instant criminals out of Canadian gun owners.

For example: -

- a .22 LR lookalike AK47 is classified "Prohibited", a crime to own one
- a 25 rd Ruger 10/22 magazine is a "prohibited device
- a .50 Beowulf magazine than can hold more than 10 .223 rds is now a "prohibited device AFTER thousands of them had been sold
- all other .223/5.56mm mags must be pinned to 5 rds
- the AR 15 is a "restricted" weapon, which must be transported in a locked case with trigger lock installed and can only be fired on an "approved range, whereas my Tavor can be shot anywhere it is legal to do so

I could go on at length with this insanity, but you get the point. None of our gun laws make any sense and are not intended to. The ultimate aim is total civil disarmament one, one calibre, one action type, one classification at a time.

Firearms ownership here is NOT a right, but a PRIVILEGE, subject to gov't whim. Now you know why the low regard for the once proud rcmp. Your second amendment is the most important part of your constitution. If it falls, so will the other parts of it no longer deemed convenient or appropriate.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 07:22:41 PM »
We also regret the current state of affairs re: the rcmp. You'll note that like many, I choose not to capitalize their initials.

Historically, as our west expanded, the NWMP was given carte blanche to write the book on 'gun control'. They decided who could own what even then.
The iconic Canadian hero Sam Steele rode herd on the mining and railroad construction camps, maintaining the peace, which amounted to civil disarmament. This carried on into the Yukon during the Gold Rush.

After his service in the Boer war, he was seconded to the South African Constabulary where he implemented 'gun control', disarming the Boers, blacks and Chinese, issuing permits to those he deemed acceptable. In other words, he took 'gun control' to Africa.

Today, it is a tag team game between the rcmp and the gov't of the day, each pointing at the other saying - "Don't blame us, it's them."
The gov't has allowed the rcmp to make arbitrary decisions about what guns, calibres, etc. we can own. This makes instant criminals out of Canadian gun owners.

For example: -

- a .22 LR lookalike AK47 is classified "Prohibited", a crime to own one
- a 25 rd Ruger 10/22 magazine is a "prohibited device
- a .50 Beowulf magazine than can hold more than 10 .223 rds is now a "prohibited device AFTER thousands of them had been sold
- all other .223/5.56mm mags must be pinned to 5 rds
- the AR 15 is a "restricted" weapon, which must be transported in a locked case with trigger lock installed and can only be fired on an "approved range, whereas my Tavor can be shot anywhere it is legal to do so

I could go on at length with this insanity, but you get the point. None of our gun laws make any sense and are not intended to. The ultimate aim is total civil disarmament one, one calibre, one action type, one classification at a time.

Firearms ownership here is NOT a right, but a PRIVILEGE, subject to gov't whim. Now you know why the low regard for the once proud rcmp. Your second amendment is the most important part of your constitution. If it falls, so will the other parts of it no longer deemed convenient or appropriate.

I totally understand your frustration and concerns.   If liberals here had their way, the only folks who would have guns would be the criminals.   

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 11:20:51 PM »
One of our past Ministers of Justice (now with a plum UN job) stated that his vision of Canada was one where only the Army and police have guns. That is a police state.

A retired female Senator admitted that our gun laws had nothing to do with public safety and everything to do with rendering us a gun-less society within a few generations.

Never thought your ally and neighbour to the north was headed for such a fate, did you? Kind of puts the lie to "True north, strong and free ..." doesn't it?

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 12:16:39 AM »
I have always wanted to do this as well, 1870 period, guns were always a issue. But have the 76 now but in 45-60.
Buffalochip

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 10:15:34 AM »
You've got the better calibre for brass and shooting comfort.

Back to my 'rights' comment .... I just heard a former Justice minister say on TV that under our constitution, NO rights are absolute and are subject to 'limitations'.

Most Canadians are unaware of this and presume they have absolute rights of some kind. Apparently not so.

That is why your constitution is so valuable as it enshrines God given rights, not subject to limitations and interpretations.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 05:10:56 PM »
PJ is correct on his comments regarding the RCMP.  Some people feel that they went from protectors of the Constitution to the Palace Guard.  Back in the 50's, 60's and early 70's the RCMP recruit was just that, a recruit.  RCMP basic training was very physical and was similar to a military boot camp.  He received a recruit salary and when he graduated, he came out a man.  With the advent of Females being recruited, the training format changed.  Instead of being a boot camp it became a campus.  Recruits now pay a tuition to attend and have certain opting out features in their training. 

Members now must have a university degree to attend basic training and, I use the term basic training loosely.  As it turns out, most of them have either a degree in social work or criminology and the latter is very similar to the former.  As a result, we now basically have social workers with badges.

PJ was also right when he said that the RCMP have a high turnover.  One of the reasons, is that many members are leaving the force to join municipal police forces mainly, for family stability.  They were getting tired to being transferred to places that start with the word "Fort" or end with the word "Creek".

Having said all that, I have met many current and former RCMP members who are/were dedicated and are a credit to the RCMP but, in my opinion, the Prime Minister does need to pull a Trump and do some swamp draining at RCMP HQ in Ottawa, where I believe the problem lays.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 05:34:15 PM »
I'm very sad to hear these stories about the RCMP. They were, at least to me the neatest police force out there along with the Texas Rangers. But too much power corrupts anything. Sorry to hear what they've become. Canadian CAS CITY members, you have my deepest sympathies.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 05:45:39 PM »
I have always wanted to do this as well, 1870 period, guns were always a issue. But have the 76 now but in 45-60.

I found this article today.  It's a pretty good read.

https://gunsmagazine.com/guns-of-the-scarlet-riders/

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 06:03:05 PM »
I'm very sad to hear these stories about the RCMP. They were, at least to me the neatest police force out there along with the Texas Rangers. But too much power corrupts anything. Sorry to hear what they've become. Canadian CAS CITY members, you have my deepest sympathies.

I too totally agree with Baltimore Ed's sentiments. 

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
Good article. I did not realize that the NWMP used the #3 .44 Russian. I just sold mine as I was unable to cock it with one paw. With two paws, using the trigger guard hook, it was a ringer on steel out to 100m.

Now you understand why our once highly esteemed national police force is no longer held in high regard. In fact, I'd say that the feeling more closely borders on contempt.

It would be as though the Texas Rangers started to allow turbans and niqabs, made up arbitrary laws as to which guns you could own in Texas and under what conditions and kicked in people's doors searching for guns during catastrophic times.

Extrapolate that to a national police agency doing those things in the name of "public safety".  Now you know why we don't see many CAS folks doing a NWMP/RCMP impression. We'd be embarrassed.

I found this article today.  It's a pretty good read.

https://gunsmagazine.com/guns-of-the-scarlet-riders/

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 05:01:57 PM »
Good article. I did not realize that the NWMP used the #3 .44 Russian. I just sold mine as I was unable to cock it with one paw. With two paws, using the trigger guard hook, it was a ringer on steel out to 100m.

Now you understand why our once highly esteemed national police force is no longer held in high regard. In fact, I'd say that the feeling more closely borders on contempt.

It would be as though the Texas Rangers started to allow turbans and niqabs, made up arbitrary laws as to which guns you could own in Texas and under what conditions and kicked in people's doors searching for guns during catastrophic times.

Extrapolate that to a national police agency doing those things in the name of "public safety".  Now you know why we don't see many CAS folks doing a NWMP/RCMP impression. We'd be embarrassed.

I totally understand your concerns and feelings.  It's always amazed me how people apply for employment in a uniformed service.  Knowing fully what the job requires and what the uniform dress code consists of.   Surprisingly, once they join they expect and demand special treatment due to religion or ethnic beliefs.   Uniform service has no place for religious or ethnic beliefs.    If the applicant has issues prior to applying, then don't apply!   Look for employment outside a uniformed service.   You can tell, I'm an old school law dawg. 

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 05:13:01 PM »
Update on the Mountie gear for my portrayal.   A friend sent me an old pair of his breeches.  My muskrat hat arrived today.  Red Serge is in transit from Great Britain.  My brown Sam Brown/holster/cuff case is all polished.  Just have a few more things and I'm ready!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 05:27:07 PM »
Looks like you're doing it right! 

Now you know where the expression - ".... more tongue than a Mountie's boot ...." comes from.

They keep those boots spit shined. I mean - "Whatever woukd the Queen think ....", not to forget the the RSM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »
Looks like you're doing it right! 

Now you know where the expression - ".... more tongue than a Mountie's boot ...." comes from.

They keep those boots spit shined. I mean - "Whatever woukd the Queen think ....", not to forget the the RSM.

Thanks, PJ   I'm trying!   I shipped my boots back to Canada to a business called Royal Spurs.  The owner worked at the RCMP Depot in Regina.  After he left the Depot he started his own business.   He's double soling and fitting my boots with correct spurs and leather.   He  emailed a PDF file titled Polishing 101B.  It's the RCMP polishing instructions for the Strathcona boots/ Sam Brown gun rig and Stetson hat band.  The instructions will be a big help maintaining the standards for the leather gear.  It takes 4 different color polishes to achieve the correct look.

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 09:21:19 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com