Author Topic: NWMP Mountie Portrayal  (Read 39629 times)

Offline Sergeant Klondike

• Texas Territorial Detachment
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life Member, SASS 11461
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: RCMP Mountie Portrayal
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2017, 12:03:12 AM »
That is a very impressive showing of support by the RCMP.   
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 07:54:25 PM »
The RCMP is still a good outfit, They just badly need a leadership adjustment at the senior level. 

You got that right! Hate to keep hammering away at this .....

But the rank & file will always close ranks when the chips are down. For example, after the travesty of kicking in 1500 doors at High River, Alberta, to search for guns and ammo after residents had been evacuated due to a devastating flood, not ONE has stepped forward to say who issued the order.

No one has been named, no one has been disciplined, no one has been charged. The Army had been patrolling in LAV's and operating boats while this was happening. When they realized what was going down, they withdrew, thereby saving their honour. The rcmp sacrificed their's by following orders.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
Mountie Txchuckcook, I ordered one. Lets see what I get. My 1912 Punitive Expedition tunic got sent back twice before I got one that fit and it's still on the short side but the sleeves work. I'm thinking that it came from WPG.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

Re: NWMP Mountie Portrayal
« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:58:56 AM »

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 12:46:31 PM »

Creek,

That's good info on the lanyard knot.  I wasn't aware of the knot rule, I appreciate the heads up.  I purchased a pair of RCMP shoulder titles last week.  They haven't arrived yet.  I've been keeping an eye out for Sgt stripes with crown, service stars, crossed pistols and crossed rifles.   I'm sure they will turn up soon.   

Is your holster for a revolver or a semi auto?  Just wondering what era it is from.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »
Creek,

It's made for a revolver.

"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »
I finally acquired all the necessary Mountie gear for my impression.   Now working on building a gun cart specific for a Mountie.   I've decided to modify a dog sled.   My thoughts are to install wheels on the inside of the runners, add canvas or wood sides with the RCMP emblem on both sides.   Build an oak rifle rack which follows the angle/contour of the sled.   Install a wood box in the bed for ammo and gun supplies.  Add a wooden box for a cooler on the runners behind the seat.  Once loaded drape a buffalo hide over the loaded bed.   It should turn out to be a pretty unique gun cart.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2017, 05:13:51 PM »
I finally acquired all the necessary Mountie gear for my impression.   Now working on building a gun cart specific for a Mountie.   I've decided to modify a dog sled.   My thoughts are to install wheels on the inside of the runners, add canvas or wood sides with the RCMP emblem on both sides.   Build an oak rifle rack which follows the angle/contour of the sled.   Install a wood box in the bed for ammo and gun supplies.  Add a wooden box for a cooler on the runners behind the seat.  Once loaded drape a buffalo hide over the loaded bed.   It should turn out to be a pretty unique gun cart.

What a neat idea, be sure to show us pics when you get it done.  You might have to change your alias to "Sgt Preston"'  :D
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »
Now you need a Malamute to pull the cart.

Another idea would be a Metis Shaganappi cart with babiche (raw hide) wrapped wheels. Rattle Snake Jack has just such a cart, a real work of art.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2017, 07:51:08 PM »
What a neat idea, be sure to show us pics when you get it done.  You might have to change your alias to "Sgt Preston"'  :D

Creek,  We must think alike.  I contacted SASS last week and changed my alias to Sergeant Klondike.   I'll post photos when I've finished the sled.   

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2017, 07:53:29 PM »
Now you need a Malamute to pull the cart.

Another idea would be a Metis Shaganappi cart with babiche (raw hide) wrapped wheels. Rattle Snake Jack has just such a cart, a real work of art.

PJ,   I had to do a google search for Metis Shaganappi cart.  That would be a good cart too.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »
Txchuckcook, I don't find your coat on E-bay, maybe I'm just not searching right.  :)
Was it from someone known by Barry Lindon  or Kliederkasse/ Spearhead Militaria? If it is, I've looked at some of his other items. If I can ask, how is the quality and service time?

Online Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »
Your portrayal sounds awesome! Thanks for including us!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2017, 06:10:28 AM »
Txchuckcook, I don't find your coat on E-bay, maybe I'm just not searching right.  :)
Was it from someone known by Barry Lindon  or Kliederkasse/ Spearhead Militaria? If it is, I've looked at some of his other items. If I can ask, how is the quality and service time?

The below link might help.   If your size is not currently listed, contact the seller.  He stocks many sizes.  The quality is good. The brass buttons are generic however work fine.  I have enough RCMP buttons that I can replace the generic one.  Most folks might not even recognize the difference..  It took several weeks for delivery.   After I purchased the tunic, I found and bought an issued RCMP Tunic. It was new or only worn a few times.  It fits perfect so I'll use it most of the time.     

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-WWII-Pattern-CanadianMP-Red-Srege-Servie-Dress-Tunic-L-/152638102704?hash=item2389f09cb0:g:bdgAAOSwa-dWjfHC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2017, 06:11:46 AM »
Your portrayal sounds awesome! Thanks for including us!

CC Griff

Thanks CC

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2017, 09:04:23 AM »
Thanks! I wasn't looking at doing an RCMP,(or NWMP)impression, but looking at some of his other military uniforms. French greatcoat for Foreign Legion. I did notice the plain brass buttons, but I bought some "Legion Etranger" buttons several years ago off e-bay I can use.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2017, 11:31:37 AM »
I had some free time today, so I thought I would make a few SASS business cards.   I used a friend's actual business card for the basic design.  Then changed the information to fit my SASS alias. 

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »
That's a neat bus card. It was the "Northwest Mounted Police" until 1904, when it was awarded the prefix "Royal". In the absence of an original, I think a Carte de Visite with an 19th century font would be closer to the marque.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
Txchuckcook/ Sgt Klondike, appears that you have a split personality. Either a chef or a cop. Food police? You don't say if you were a good cook but you look good as a Sgt so I'd keep that persona. I'm still trying to mail off my uniform for one a bit bigger. Two different local post offices couldn't do it and by the time that I got to the big PO Saturday they were closed. Hopefully tomorrow and then I will order my insignia. Can't wait to see your sled. The bigger the wheels the easier it will move.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Online Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »
I've wondered what time period you're after too.  It may be too late, but I'd find a better copy of this logo if I was making business cards.  I think the uniform that you've put together looks GREAT!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »
That's a neat bus card. It was the "Northwest Mounted Police" until 1904, when it was awarded the prefix "Royal". In the absence of an original, I think a Carte de Visite with an 19th century font would be closer to the marque.

I was unable to locate period correct NWMP collar and shoulder titles.   In the absence of those, I elected to do an RCMP impression.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com