Author Topic: NWMP Mountie Portrayal  (Read 39628 times)

Offline Sergeant Klondike

• Texas Territorial Detachment
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life Member, SASS 11461
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NWMP Mountie Portrayal
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »
Thanks Ed

I hope your having as much fun putting yours together as I did with mine. 
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2017, 08:07:54 AM »
Something that I realized the other day is that your RCMP Stetson is slightly different than my DI Stetson. Other than the obvious color the dimples are 45 degrees different, my ridges are square to the front, back, L,R while your hats dimples are square to the front back. Something the average cowboy wouldn't even notice unless we were standing next to each other. I might have to invest in still another hat???
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2017, 09:34:41 AM »
Something that I realized the other day is that your RCMP Stetson is slightly different than my DI Stetson. Other than the obvious color the dimples are 45 degrees different, my ridges are square to the front, back, L,R while your hats dimples are square to the front back. Something the average cowboy wouldn't even notice unless we were standing next to each other. I might have to invest in still another hat???

Sgt Klondike's stetson is a true copy.  But, you are right, the average U.S. cowboy probably wouldn't know the difference having never seen one in real life. other than in the movies.

Cheers!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 12:44:41 AM »

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2017, 09:58:42 AM »
Jist an observation here, only...
Awhile back someone posted old pics of the Gold Rush late in a former century, don't recall if they were in Canada or Alaska Territory. At any rate, in the pic of a town plumb full of guys with gear, almost to a man they were wearing the Mountie-style hat, must have become instantly popular and available overnight at the local haberdashery!
Hopefully someone will recall the pic and repost it here.
Best regards and good researching!
'Ol Gabe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2017, 04:04:18 PM »

Ed, I think your hat has a crease similar to the Montana Peak style. 
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2017, 04:17:44 PM »
Sgt Klondike's stetson is a true copy.  But, you are right, the average U.S. cowboy probably wouldn't know the difference having never seen one in real life. other than in the movies.

Cheers!

During my uniform gathering adventure, I was fortunate to locate a new/old inventory RCMP issued hat and hatband.  The sweatband has the maker and RCMP markings.  It was made by Biltmore-Canada on October 1997. 

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2017, 08:15:36 PM »
For those wondering what GRC means, it's French for RCMP ...Gendarmerie royal du Canada
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure that "Rattlesnake Jack" posted some pics on this topic a few days back. Where did they go?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2017, 10:36:42 AM »
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »
Yes. I was looking on the wrong forum.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2017, 09:02:22 AM »
Yesterday I watched the enhanced DVD version of "Gene Autry and the Mounties".  BS story but enjoyable nevertheless.  The "Mounties" were wearing 1950 uniforms while being RNWMP (1904-1920).  In one of the shoot outs a Sgt was actually using the NWMP carbine.  Another Sgt had no service stars.  The story line took place in western Canada however most the bad guys were French Canadians, touques, sashes, broken English, etc.

You are probably wondering how Gene Autry got into this story.  He was a U.S. Marshall from Montana, he and his deputy played by Pat Buttrum (sic) following the trail of bad guys into Canada.  They, together with the "Mounties" rounded them up.

Bruce Carruthers, an ex RCMP member who played a background Mountie in the movie, was the technical adviser.  He tried to keep the Mounties as authentic as Hollywood would allow him.  The salute was correct, palm facing forward.

Just as an side note:  Bruce Carruthers was technical adviser on several of Hollywood's Mountie movies during the late 40's and into the 50's.  In Pierre Burton's book, "The Americanization of Canada" by Hollywood, it stated that Bruce had an uphill battle with the directors trying to keep the Mountie image correct.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »
In Pierre Burton's book, "The Americanization of Canada" by Hollywood, it stated that Bruce had an uphill battle with the directors trying to keep the Mountie image correct.

The key word in the above is "image". That is what the rcmp suffers from greatly at the moment.

In addition to making up arbitrary gun laws that are almost impossible to keep track of and follow, the list of women signed up in the class action lawsuit for sexual harrassment in the force has risen to 11,000!

This is why you don't see many Canadians anxious to portray NWMP/rcmp impressions in CAS. We'd be fearful some lady would charge us for inappropriate conduct - :>)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2017, 06:59:10 PM »
Picked up a nice pair of RNWMP collar dogs.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2017, 10:03:07 PM »
"King's Crown"

P.S: Royal Northwest ...    Prior to 1920
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2017, 09:41:26 AM »
During the reign of Edward VII or George V.  Is it full size or a lapel pin?  I have a copy in lapel pin size.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »
During the reign of Edward VII or George V.  Is it full size or a lapel pin?  I have a copy in lapel pin size.

They're full size. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com