Author Topic: NWMP Mountie Portrayal  (Read 39620 times)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: NWMP Mountie Portrayal
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2017, 02:17:11 PM »
Thank you so much for all the details.  Well even though this one does not date to frontier times, it still does in my story and I really like it.  It is a beautiful little pin.  Took a pic of mine:

That's the post 1954 version.  The Queen's crown has the dip on the top center and the King's crown has a rounded top . Judging by the size of the button hole in comparison, it looks like what we call a collar dog as opposed to a lapel pin.  They have three styles of lapel pins that I am aware of, one is a member on a horse (same one that is on Sgt Klondikes business card) plus a small replica of their police badge along with their shoulder patch all in lapel pin size.  The collar dogs are worn on the lapels of the tunic or on the collar of the red serge tunic as per Sgt Klondikes photos.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2017, 05:08:04 PM »
Gotcha.  I was trying to figure out what you were calling a button hole, it is actually just a seam that shows up in the pic, but what shows up is about the size of a button hole  :) .  The pin is 1.26" tall.

Thanks again for all the detail!

BTW, I know nothing more about Mounties than from the movies and such, but I must say to Sgt. Klondike that everything you are putting together looks outstanding!

One last thing, I was happy to see on the back that it is made in Canada, not China  ;D

Offline Sergeant Klondike

• Texas Territorial Detachment
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life Member, SASS 11461
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2017, 04:59:15 PM »
Finally had time today to finish the gun cart.   Added the wooden boxes, steel runners and long gun rack.   It was a fun project, but I'm glad it's finished.

"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 11:13:29 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2017, 05:12:41 PM »
Very nice, Sarge!  How does it slide with the weight on it?  It doesn't look like you added wheels to the runners.

Now all you need is that NWMP carbine!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2017, 05:31:57 PM »
Very nice, Sarge!  How does it slide with the weight on it?  It doesn't look like you added wheels to the runners.

Now all you need is that NWMP carbine!

CC Griff

Thanks,  It has a tad more resistance, but not enough to make it uncomfortable to pull.   I'll field test it a few times, then decide about the wheels. 
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »
A very neat rig there Sgt Klondike. I like it a lot but I see wheels in your future. I was wondering how you planned to stow your long guns on it. My only issue (and with not being currently active in SASS, NCOWS or GAF officially run matches) would be your closed double. The last that I knew long gun actions had to be open except when preparing to shoot or shooting. In a guncart or carrying actions were to be open. Now I might be wrong and I'm sure that others will chime in if I am. Looks real good. Hopefully I wil have my uniform together soon.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2017, 07:17:06 PM »
A very neat rig there Sgt Klondike. I like it a lot but I see wheels in your future. I was wondering how you planned to stow your long guns on it. My only issue (and with not being currently active in SASS, NCOWS or GAF officially run matches) would be your closed double. The last that I knew long gun actions had to be open when except when preparing to shoot or shooting. In a guncart or carrying actions were to be open. Now I might be wrong and I'm sure that others will chime in if I am. Looks real good. Hopefully I wil have my uniform together soon.

Thanks, Ed!   The rifle actions and coach gun can open on the cart.  I just didn't open them for the photo.   Did you take your Red Serge to the seamstress this week?

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2017, 11:36:05 PM »
My first choice  cleaners/seamstress wouldn't do my button holes but I found another who might. I will carry it to her later this week. She can do the sleeve insignia though. She was knee deep in Marine dress uniforms for the upcoming balls this month.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »
This sort of memorabilia turns up at gun shows on a regular basis. My ex-wife was a civilian employee of the rcmp for years and had a lot of it she gave away as gifts.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2017, 06:49:59 PM »
My boots finally came back from Royal Spurs in Regina.   They did an awesome job adding Spurs, double soling, permanent side lacing and blocking.   My persona/portrayal is finally finished.  Now it's time to start burning powder!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2017, 08:08:13 PM »
Outstanding! Maintien Le Droit.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2017, 09:26:23 AM »
Looks good Sarge.  Just one thing, the ammo pouch is worn on the right side just ahead of the holster.  You have a realistic number of service stars for your rank.  Saw Nelson Eddy in Rose Marie yesterday on Turner Classic Movies ( I'm calling yooooooooou) he was a Sgt with one service star, must have been a streamer. ;)

Cheers!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2017, 10:36:21 AM »
Obviously Sgt. Klondike is using the privilege of rank in that he knows the proper way to reload a DA revolver - with the left hand!

Drives me nuts to see revolver shooters in IDPA and IPSC switching hands to reload a revolver. These same people are capable of reloading an auto pistol in a flash with the left hand under match pressure.

Looks good Sarge.  Just one thing, the ammo pouch is worn on the right side just ahead of the holster. 

Cheers!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »
I had to drag out my Phillips & Klancher. Prior to the adoption of the Sam Browne accoutrements the revolver holster seemed to be commonly on the left. Ammunition was carried in a looped waist belt, and in 1887 a bandolier was added. With the Sam Browne gear the holster was on the right with the ammo pouch to its front, also on the right. Page 160 of Arms & Accoutrements of the Mounted Police 1873 - 1973 illustrates the evolution of the Sam Browne revolver belt from about 1890 to1963.

On the prior page, p.159, the 1969 issue revolver belt is illustrated. The caption mentions the "pouch for 6 cartridges", but to photo omits the pouch?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2017, 12:24:28 PM »
Outstanding! Maintien Le Droit.

Thanks PJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
Looks good Sarge.  Just one thing, the ammo pouch is worn on the right side just ahead of the holster.  You have a realistic number of service stars for your rank.  Saw Nelson Eddy in Rose Marie yesterday on Turner Classic Movies ( I'm calling yooooooooou) he was a Sgt with one service star, must have been a streamer. ;)

Cheers!

Thanks Creek.   I knew the ammo was on the wrong side.  At the time of the photo, I didn't feel like changing everything on the belt.   Later that night I made the adjustment.   Thanks for keeping me correct.    Sergeant Preston had one service star too.  They were climbing the ladder fast :)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2017, 02:14:48 PM »
Obviously Sgt. Klondike is using the privilege of rank in that he knows the proper way to reload a DA revolver - with the left hand!

Drives me nuts to see revolver shooters in IDPA and IPSC switching hands to reload a revolver. These same people are capable of reloading an auto pistol in a flash with the left hand under match pressure.

You are right PJ about the ammo pouch being more efficient on the left when loading a double action.  Not sure what they were thinking when the came out with the dress regs saying it is to be on the right.  One would think someone would have put in a suggestion outlining how inefficient it was for reloading to have it mounted on that side. 

Looking at a 1895 photo with 7 members of the Pincher Creek Detachment, it shows  the side arm on the left, butt forward with pistol ammo on loops western style on the right side of the belt. So, the ammo pouch obviously came in much later. I also noticed that the lanyard knot is at belt level just off to the right side, and they are all wearing the unauthorized stetson at the time, with the Sgt wearing the right brim turned up Australian  style.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2017, 05:18:04 PM »
As for the location of the ammo pouch, you have to remember that until they were first issued a 9mm semi-auto, rcmp recruits were taught to single action cock their .38 Spl. M10 S&W revolvers and shoot with one paw. I don't think they were ever issued speed loaders and were likely discouraged from carrying them as 'non-issue' items.

In most things, the rcmp moves at glacial speed when it comes to adopting what works, i.e the delay in getting AR15 "police carbines" (aka "assault rifles when in civilian hands) into service.

I trained a few rcmp types on both the PROPER way to load and shoot revolvers ala IPSC and the semi-auto. Got my knuckls rapped for so doing until I 'splained that THEY asked me, I didn't ask them.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »
As for the location of the ammo pouch, you have to remember that until they were first issued a 9mm semi-auto, rcmp recruits were taught to single action cock their .35 Spl. M10 S&W revolvers and shoot with one paw. I don't think they were ever issued speed loaders and were likely discouraged from carrying them as 'non-issue' items.

In most things, the rcmp moves at glacial speed when it comes to adopting what works, i.e the delay in getting AR15 "police carbines" (aka "assault rifles when in civilian hands) into service.

I trained a few rcmp types on both the PROPER way to load and shoot revolvers ala IPSC and the semi-auto. Got my knuckls rapped for so doing until I 'splained that THEY asked me, I didn't ask them.

Members of the Innisfail Detachment carried 2 speed loaders on the left side front until they went semi auto.  Of course they were one of the last police forces to switch to semi auto
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2017, 07:14:51 AM »
Sgt Klondike, you has certainly nailed the entire persona. Your uniform and accoutrements are 100% and I especially like the dog sled gun cart. Wow! Very nice job.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com