Author Topic: Marlins ????  (Read 5267 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Marlins ????
« on: July 28, 2017, 06:00:40 PM »
Question: where do Marlin owners hang out on CasCity?

At any event I go to, there are always several Marlin rifles and carbines being used. They have a lengthy history of use in the old west along with Winchesters, etc.

Maybe we oughta have a Marlin list on this site? We know have one for the big Winchesters who used to orphans like Marlins are now.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
Re: Marlins ????
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 06:45:04 PM »
I'll second that motion there, PJ. And my Marlin thirds it!
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:15:45 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
We are aware of the Marlin Owners Forum. That's where I learned how to determine the date of manufacture of my 95. We were referring to a Marlin forum on CasCity.

I ignoring one of the most popular rifles used in CAS just doesn't compute, just like it didn't to ignore the '86 and '92.

I started out in CAS with a Marlin .357 carbine in the era when if a gun wasn't in a calibre starting with the number '4', you were considered to be light in your Lamas.

Now the .38/.357 is the darling of the IPSC Cowboys.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »
To PJ

"IPSC Cowboys"  Perfect description.  I like the one you used a couple of years back, "IPSC with cowboy boots"  The targets are too close and too close together.  I say, "Move 'em out, spread 'em out, make it more challenging but, the gamers won't buy it and they rule.  I look forward more to the side matches where it's accuracy over speed.

Three years ago I joined the muzzle loaders where it is all accuracy in both rifle and pistol, very enjoyable.  I am also doing Silhouette, and once again, accuracy.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »
You'd enjoy our annual CAS event coming up next month - fire situation permitting. No pistol target can be closer than 10m. Rifle targets at 25m and beyond.

One stage will have a rifle target at 75m and others getting as close as 25. Bonus targets are small.

This will be our 17th year and no one has ever shot a clean match here. The award has gathered dust. Instead we present a "Close As Damn" award for coming close.

Our guys avoid the "IPSC In Cowboy Boots" shoots in the main, only taking in a couple out of nostalgia as they were once like ours - you had to be able to shoot.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 09:49:50 PM »
I don't mind the big, close targets, the trick holsters or even short stroke kits as much as the mousefart loads. If you're already shooting a 32 or 38 why do you need primer powered loads. I would love to see some kind of minimum power factor. I don't think that it would slow anybody down but it looks so silly when these big 'cowboys ' with all their gear go to the line and the beep happens and all you hear is tink- tink- tink - tink - tink. Come on guys? Really?
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 10:42:36 AM »
There is a power factor in SASS. It just isn't enforced.

Factory .38 Spl. 158 gr ought to be the power floor.

I see guys whose loads are so mild that the bullet hitting steel makes slightly more noise than the report of the rifle. Pathetic.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »
I guess you're shooting in the wrong places PJ. In the last 12 months I have shot from the east coast to the west coast and I have seen very few MF loads. Certainly not as many as 5 years ago. One regional I attended this year had one stage with 10 small plate rack targets for the rifle. I shoot nearly every weekend at a Cowboy action match. No I don't shoot 38/357's or 32's. I shoot 38/40, 44/40 and 45 Colt.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »
The only sass match that I would attend nowdays would be a Wild Bunch match and I'm thinking they enforce the power factor correctly.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 04:10:18 PM »
You'd enjoy our annual CAS event coming up next month - fire situation permitting. No pistol target can be closer than 10m. Rifle targets at 25m and beyond.

One stage will have a rifle target at 75m and others getting as close as 25. Bonus targets are small.

This will be our 17th year and no one has ever shot a clean match here. The award has gathered dust. Instead we present a "Close As Damn" award for coming close.

Our guys avoid the "IPSC In Cowboy Boots" shoots in the main, only taking in a couple out of nostalgia as they were once like ours - you had to be able to shoot.

That sounds like a fun shoot.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 07:44:37 PM »
The o.p. asked about a Marlin thread, I'd say let's combine all lever guns to one as any one gets little action over all. Look at all the sub divivisons and how often the new posts are. United we stand divided we fall.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 10:50:53 AM »
I am the OP.

All guns are not equal just as all men are not. Each have a unique set of issues and problems. They need to be dealt with bearing that in mind.

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
I am not sure there is any point, since the only respected Marlins are out of production (JM). You can talk about solving issues and have a circle hug for JM owners, but there can be no productive talk about buying new guns. Personally, my Remlin 44 works real nicely but it's not a race gun, and I am not a race shooter. I like to take time to actually aim and to shoot clean, if I can. There is no way I can go faster than the equipment. It is just a sport wherein I get to shoot guns I wouldn't otherwise find very useful and guns I prefer in looks and how they work. I kinda like dressing up too.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 07:38:33 AM »
My most used lever guns at cowboy matches are Uberti 66/73s. When my wife started shooting cowboy as well, I needed a compact, light gun for her and the Marlin competition model filled the bill. She loved it. I also shoot at one club where the sand is deep and I got tired of losing so many 38-40 and 44-40 cases so I purchased another Marlin in 357 for myself. That helped ammo logistics when my wife and I both shoot and I have more 38 special cases that I could ever use. Getting to the point, I found I loved the Marlin the more I shot it. It is now a favorite and I too would like to see a specific section here for Marlins. I have been on the Marlinsowners website and it is useful, but not enough cowboy specific for me.
PS--Boy, would I love Marlin to chamber the 94s in 44-40 again.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com