Author Topic: Llama 1911?  (Read 6791 times)

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Llama 1911?
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:04:11 PM »
Stopped in to the Pawn shop today, and came real close to walking out with a Llama 1911 for $300. Not exactly what I want ( A GI Issued Springfield), but the price is doable. Fortunately, I decided to look into it first, much like the mystery Colt Navy they had. I found conflicting reports, almost 50/50. Some said it was ok, some said it was garbage, some said it came apart while firing. Others said that a Rock Island Armory was as close as you could get, for under $400.

Thoughts?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Llama 1911?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 10:42:58 PM »
Unless it was built during WWI, Springfield Armory didn't make any issue pistols - just 'GI-Type', like those of RIA.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:46:13 PM »
My son has a Llama. It's okay but regular Colt type magazines are a lose fit.  I would pass myself and agree about the Rock Island. I don't own one but have held them and read good things about them.  You might also consider a Springfield.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:56:08 AM »

Offline Queasy Dillo

• Usual Suspect
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Boiler Plate Rat
    • Steel Carnival
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »
I got one for a holster-filler and possible blank conversion a few years back.  On the plus side, it cleaned up pretty well and does about what I expect it to do. 

Two strikes against it are

a) the magazines, as mentioned and
b) good luck finding replacement grips

Of course Llama made several models of 1911, so some of these may not apply. 
"Get it together?  Lady, last time my people got it together we needed most of Robert Lee's backyard to bury the evidence."

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 09:04:13 AM »
I have a High Standard made by Armscor, which is the same as the RIA GI models. Great gun for the price.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »
I've owned or carried goernment issued 1911 for years.  When it came to buy my "last" 1911 I got  Rock Island, put some Saarc (?) wood double diamond grips on it and have the perfect gun for me.

Looking for a few more magazines that won't break the bank, but she's a keeper.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

llanerosolitario

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
It depends on Year of manufacture. Llama pistols made before  1956 were forged and machined. They were excellent pistols that saw the Civil War and are still around today. The Llama special was a close clone of the 1911, and was made until the 1940s. Not fully compatible with a 1911, it is an excellent pistol, fully forged and a nice collection piece...one of the best pistols in Europe at
that time.

However, Llamas made from 1956 until the early 1990s were made by the Investment  casting process and they have a characteristic ventilated rib. They are mediocre pistols and not 1911 compatible.

The last Llamas, made fron early 1990s until the early 2000s, the Llama Max, are 100% 1911 compatible and very well made pistols, with tough steel ( I engraved one...very hard on the burin). They have much better steel and craftsmanship than all the Philippine made Rock Island pistols and STI's.

In short: if the pistol has a ventilated rib,  my advice is not to buy  it. If it lacks it, it is a better buy than a brand new Philippine pistol.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 03:04:39 PM »
I'm not very familiar with Llama pistols, but they have been discussed vis-a-vis the rules of the game.  It is not clear if the ventilated rib would be viewed as legal -- maybe, maybe not.  Further, my understanding is that Llama pistols did not always have a grip safety, the absence of which would definitely disqualify the gun for competition in WBAS matches.  Finally, there is the matter of weight -- a Modern class pistol must weigh in at less than 42 ounces with empty magazine.  Does the Llama meet that weight requirement?  So, there are some questions that you can answer before putting the gold down, and one -- the rib -- you cannot.  Too much angst me thinks.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
I don't compete in Wild Bunch. I'm just looking for as close a match to the pistol I used in the Army, without breaking the bank.

The pistol I saw didn't have a ribbed vent, but it was a wider double stack mag. So, I'm guessing it is a newer model?

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »
@August- I don't do competitions, so it is a non issue. I'm just looking for as close a match to the pistol I used in the Army, without breaking the bank.

This pistol didn't have a ribbed vent, but it was a wider double stack mag. So, I'm guessing it is a newer model?

Yup. It's a Llama Max. I have one in 9mm used to compete in IPSC with it, it never failed me.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 04:49:20 PM »
Yup. It's a Llama Max. I have one in 9mm used to compete in IPSC with it, it never failed me.
Judging by your hat, you are a wise man with taste. I'll take your word on the gun.

By the way, I have the same hat :)

llanerosolitario

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »
I'm not very familiar with Llama pistols, but they have been discussed vis-a-vis the rules of the game.  It is not clear if the ventilated rib would be viewed as legal -- maybe, maybe not.  Further, my understanding is that Llama pistols did not always have a grip safety, the absence of which would definitely disqualify the gun for competition in WBAS matches.  Finally, there is the matter of weight -- a Modern class pistol must weigh in at less than 42 ounces with empty magazine.  Does the Llama meet that weight requirement?  So, there are some questions that you can answer before putting the gold down, and one -- the rib -- you cannot.  Too much angst me thinks.

Llamas do have a grip safety. It was the Star pistols the ones with no grip safety as they were mechanically slightly different to a 1911.  Star pistols were all great pistols. The Germans in WW2 ordered quite a few 1911 inspired Stars in 9mm Luger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com