Author Topic: Cimmeran Thunderer vs SAA Colt 45?  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Cimmeran Thunderer vs SAA Colt 45?
« on: July 20, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
At first glance, the Thunderer looks like a Colt 45 SA. But I have heard it is a DA. In either case, what are the physical differences, as it pertains to holster making?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Cimmeran Thunderer vs SAA Colt 45?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »
The original Colt Lightning and Thunderer were double action, and I think the frames on those are smaller than the SAA.  The modern Cimarron Thunderer by Uberti as well as the Pietta Thunderball version are single actions.  Everything about these modern guns is the same as the SAA version except for the backstrap and grip, so holsters would be the same as the SAA.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
Thank you sir.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:01:30 AM »

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
Abilene:

Do they still produce the lightning in .41 LC?
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »
Mean Bob,
There are none in stock but the inventory list does still list the p/n's of the .41 models.  And their website still lists those caliber models.  So I would assume that they either have some on order, or are willing to place a special order for them.  You would have to call them and ask.

It was always a slow mover.  Ten-X made, ammo but holy cow $$, and they don't list it any more.  Gotta reload healed bullets.  But still, an original caliber, even if one is single action and the other double.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 04:14:06 PM »
The original Colt Lightning and Thunderer were double action, and I think the frames on those are smaller than the SAA.  The modern Cimarron Thunderer by Uberti as well as the Pietta Thunderball version are single actions.  Everything about these modern guns is the same as the SAA version except for the backstrap and grip, so holsters would be the same as the SAA.
Yes, the originals are considerably smaller and double action. Here's a comparison to the SAA.

I just looked at the Cimarron site and the Thunderer is definitely a single action with a larger frame. I bought an original one time and it had the most comfortable grip shape. The Cimarron version is different and feels much like a golf ball in my hand. If you haven't held one, definitely try one before buying. As to a holster, I suspect the Cimarron will probably fit in a standard SAA one.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 04:27:08 PM »
Well, the holster ain't my problem. A fellow Holstier on another board as the request, and was looking for a dummy gun. I have a 45lc I could loan him, but he would have to think around the barrel, seeing how my Colt is a 7" bbl, the Thunderer is a 3.5". Not a real issue, if you can think on your feet. But, there may come a day when I'll get a request for one, and it is nice to know.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:22:07 AM »
Mean Bob,
There are none in stock but the inventory list does still list the p/n's of the .41 models.  And their website still lists those caliber models.  So I would assume that they either have some on order, or are willing to place a special order for them.  You would have to call them and ask.

It was always a slow mover.  Ten-X made, ammo but holy cow $$, and they don't list it any more.  Gotta reload healed bullets.  But still, an original caliber, even if one is single action and the other double.

Yeah, I want one because, it was the real deal caliber wise.  I shoot black powder and from what I have read that tends to produce an accurate load.  Knowing what a pain they are to acquire ammo for, how impractical the damn things are, I am ever hopeful of finding one that no one wants for a decent price. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 08:10:35 AM »
Yeah, I want one because, it was the real deal caliber wise.  I shoot black powder and from what I have read that tends to produce an accurate load.  Knowing what a pain they are to acquire ammo for, how impractical the damn things are, I am ever hopeful of finding one that no one wants for a decent price. 

Don't wanna dissuade you from what you want, but bear in mind that theses single action lightnings/P-Juniors tend to do very poorly with black powder, according to most who try it.  Foul out quickly.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 10:05:36 AM »
Don't wanna dissuade you from what you want, but bear in mind that theses single action lightnings/P-Juniors tend to do very poorly with black powder, according to most who try it.  Foul out quickly.

Cowdude, when you put as much BP as I do in the cases, everything fouls out; hell the spectators at my matches bitch about gumming up.  That's why God made Ballistol, to ease the burdens of silly middle aged folks with delusions of Cowbaby grandiosity.  I thought you knowed this?

Besides, If I get a 3.5 inch model, that will likely end up tucked in my belt on a regular basis.  I like the .38 for that as well. 

Your access to all things Cimarron is a boon my good brother, thanks. 
- Cole Younger

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 09:02:35 PM »
Even holster fit on originals is not all that different. The frame is smaller on the double action but the trigger guard is larger.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 04:10:03 AM »
Double action 1877s - seriously sexy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com