Author Topic: Introducing my 1860 Spencer carbine +10 photos & serial # info request  (Read 1834 times)

Offline meromero

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello Two Flints and Followers:
Fortunately I was just able to purchase an original 1860 Spencer Repeating carbine.The serial number found on the top of the receiver and also under the forearm is 36000.  That date and serial number should be visible in the attached photos.  There is no remaining numbering or lettering on the wood if it ever existed. The rifling is six grooved with slight pitting. Very little rust corrosion is evident on the exterior metal surfaces.The action is tight and functions well. The stock and forearm fit snuggly. Everything seems to be there to the letter.  The entire firearm shows a beautiful patina from legitimate usage along with careful preservation.There should be 10 photos attached.  As correctly recommended by Two Flints, most of the photos show the rifle against a grey background.  I could not resist the temptation to show how the carbine appears as I have it hanging.  This is done at the sacrifice of good detail in the photo because of the ivory colored wall.
Using the serial number any help in establishing the probable original cavalry recipient unit will be appreciated. 
Then if anyone has already discovered any information of the actions and deployment of said unit, I would appreciate if they would share any leads.
It appears that I am only allowed 4 attachments, so I will continue with another post.
Thanks
Meromero

Offline meromero

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Introducing my 1860 Spencer carbine +10 photos & serial # info request
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 04:41:02 PM »
Continuation with photos 5, 6 ,7, & 8

Offline meromero

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:44:56 PM »
Continued with photos 9 & 10.
There were 10 photos in all.

Thanks for looking and reading
bye
Meromero

Advertising

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 08:36:57 PM »
Hi Meromero,

Would you please explain the photo in your first post?  Hard to make it out with my old eyes.

Checked on your Spencer Carbine Serial # 36000 - Spencer Carbine serial # 35976 and the next Spencer Carbine Serial #36097 (as listed in my SRS Research Book) were both issued to Company I, 3rd Michigan Volunteer Cavalry in June, 1865.  So maybe  ::) ::) the assumption can be made that your Spencer Carbine was issued to the same unit.

As a side note, I hope you read my Spencer Serial # Disclaimer on SSS.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline meromero

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 10:34:18 PM »
Hi Two Flints:
Thanks for the rapid response. The painting that you mention is simply a reproduction of a western theme which in this case seems to be a couple of cow-hands packing up for an early start,  hitting the trail.  I already had that picture hanging in my room and thought the carbine and the painting could complement each other.
Before I received this rifle by UPS, I had already been reading your thread with Cantineflas from San Antonio. His rifle had a serial number that approximated mine.  Your present note to me confirms the possibility that his and mine both very well might be from Company I, 3rd Michigan Volunteer Cavalry. I was delighted to hear this since I live in the lower Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville) that borders with Mexico. It seems that shortly after the Civil war before mustering out, the 3rd Cavalry was garrisoned in San Antonio and from there they made scouting expeditions for the protection of the frontier.  This lasted until 15 February 1866.  I bought my rifle up north but it could nevertheless have been used down here on the Border and changed hands up north by a veteran returning home.
There is one thing that does not jive. You say: “In this manner, cavalry regiments, such as the 2nd and 3rd Michigan were issued Spencer carbines (2nd) and Starr carbines (for the 3rd) to replace their Colt rifles.” This reads that the 3rd was issued Starr carbines rather than Spencers.
I hope that was a misprint.  If not, Cantineflas and myself might still be out in the dark.  Most important, however, we have great rifles.
Yes, I have read, understand, and appreciate your disclaimer.
I certainly appreciate all that you are doing to help people like myself in our research.  Perhaps this discussion will affect other holders of 3rd Michigan Cavalry volunteers.
bye
Meromero

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com