Author Topic: It's OD #3's Fault > Annealing Cases  (Read 8368 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: It's OD #3's Fault > Annealing Cases
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »
I have been tempted to modify the carrier in my 45 colt 1860 Henry to allow the use of 45 Schofield or even 45 CS loads but have had concerns about the build up of carbon/lead deposits in the forward section of the chamber. Is this likely to be a problem?

I shoot Schofields in my 45 Uberti Henry.  I keep a 45 colt case in my cleaning stuff.  I periodically bell the case mouth in my dies, and it works as a scraper when you chamber.  I learned this trick about 1998, when a pard had a Marlin Cowboy he only shot Schofields in, and it would not chamber .45 Colts.  I soaked the chamber with WD40, then forced in the 45 Colt case with the bell case mouth.  Finished off with bronze brush, and it worked perfectly.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 01:20:01 PM »
Wool,

Gona depend.  First up for bids is the 45 Schofield in a 45 Henry.  There is no modification required to shoot Schofields.  However, there is a caveat.  You can't shoot bullets any shorter than a 200Gr RNFP.  Any shorter and you get a double load to the carrier that jams the rifle.
The Carbon build up at the case mouth may well depend on your choice of powder.  When I used that Heathen Fad Smokeless stuff, I used TightGroup.  For Years.  Never had "ring around the chamber."

Also modified Several Henry rifles for C45S.  It takes a carefully placed setscrew in the Carrier Block and clearance channel in the side of the Breach Block.  Same result as the Schofield with TightGroup.  No ring around the chamber.  Other powders may give you different results.  Trailboss leaves ring around the chamber.

When I gave up on Smokeless, I switched to APP.  Neither BP nor APP has left ring around the chamber.  Go For It!!

Coffinmaker

Offline wool

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 05:40:19 AM »
Many thanks Coffinmaker and TL. Yesterday I loaded up some Schofield rounds with Vihtavuori N320 and 250gr RNFP bullets; got no feeding problems at all and much less blowback than expected.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:14:44 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com