Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2017, 06:00:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: civil war arms 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: civil war arms  (Read 365 times)
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

Got whiskey, will stumble.

« on: July 10, 2017, 02:56:56 pm »

I have just found out that my great grandfather was in the 81st regiment, New York infantry, company G. Is there a place to find out what his company was armed with and what battles they were involved in?

Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 03:32:53 pm »

Start with the state of New York historical records. They will have regimental histories.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 03:36:42 pm »

I have the complete Compendium of the War of the Rebellion....this will give Muster in and battles they were involved in.

That I can copy.... as to Arms ..... I'd be 95% they were armed with a Springfield perhaps a Bridesburg Manufacture  

or     https://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/81stInf/81stInfMain.htm

http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/81stInf/81stInfCWN.htm
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 06:57:55 am »

Sometimes officers from the unit wrote memoires. I found that the captain of the company my G-G-Grandfather was in wrote one and it is on google books. When I read it I found that his company of the 20th Iowa Infantry was armed with 2 band Enfield's.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA RSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Endowment Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: civil war arms « previous next »
Jump to: