Author Topic: Shot bags, and market research  (Read 1927 times)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Shot bags, and market research
« on: May 20, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
Way back when I signed up to Cas City again (I was previously a member back when it was a mailing list), I mentioned I hoped doing so would get me off my duff on a writing project I had in the works.  Guess I should get to that. . . .

Here's the deal: I've been researching shot bags and powder horns used in the trans-Mississippi west since the early '80s.  In 30+ years, I've only been able to establish provenance for a few bags tracing use of the bag back to a set time period or year.  I've made patterns of those bags, and written up some history to accompany the patterns.  (And some thoughts on the use of the bags, because I've used all of them for at least a little while, and some for decades. . . .)

But there it sits.  I can't decide if I want to market the patterns as individual patterns or as a book (or books) of patterns.  Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions to push me one way or another?
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
Re: Shot bags, and market research
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 01:19:57 AM »
Since it is so niche, Id recommend assembling them into a nicely illustrated booklet in a way similar to the Confederate Sketchbook.
Here is one I found on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-CONFEDERATE-SKETCHBOOK-UNIFORM-SPECIFICATIONS-CIVIL-WAR/222979847081?hash=item33eaa273a9:g:44QAAOSwn55a-xL0 .
The confederate sketchbook was very popular with 1970s-80s because reenactors wanted to be more authentic and larger, more established companies like C&D Jarnagin had yet to really emerge as a mainstream supplier.  People were stuck with the choice of assembling costumes, or making their own using authentic patterns.

There are enough people in the hobby to try their hand at making something like this but I would throw in a few period powder horn and original hunting bag patterns (Perhaps some eastern examples that came west also)  to make it more appealing to a wider base.  It's something more focused specifically on people in our hobby than it is for those who don't reenact but it would  be a cool resource.  Regardless of what you may potentially make in sales, it will definitely help establish you as another reliable authority on the topic.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
BTW, your research involves what has been my primary pursuit for many years.  I look forward to buying a copy so that I may benefit from your patterns as well. I have a virgin buffalo horn and some brain tan collecting dust in my workshop and I was fresh out of ideas.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:50:23 AM »

Offline BlackHillsScout

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 09:29:29 PM »
I'm looking forward to it as well, I need to make a bag and horn that would work between 1850-55 there-abouts

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com