Author Topic: I knew there was a reason I liked Tom Selleck westerns!  (Read 6225 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
I knew there was a reason I liked Tom Selleck westerns!
« on: July 07, 2017, 09:34:21 PM »
How ironic: I knew he has good taste, because in Last Stand at Sabre River, he carries a conversion/open top.  I happen to watch Crossfire Trail with Tom Selleck again today.  He carries a 7" Schofield strong side, and what appears to be a 7.5" 1872 Open Top in a cross draw. I just ordered a 7" Schofield to mate with my 7.5" .45 Open Top.  When I get my Schofield out of jail, I will have it strong side, and my  .45 open top cross draw!  LOL.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: I knew there was a reason I liked Tom Selleck westerns!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:19:33 AM »
In Last Stand, he carries an 1860 Richards Type I conversion. In Crossfire Trail, the OT is a 5½" Navy grip model. This was before the Italian replicas were available, built from scratch by Kenny Howell.

Took this at the big cowboy museum in OK City in 2012.

Then two years later these two at the NRA museum in Fairfax. The guns have their labels swapped.

SASS #81,827

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »
Not quite....they were built on Second Gen. 1860 Armys

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:38:05 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 11:31:53 AM »
Thanks, I actually saw the one at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum OKC in January. It was actually that visit that inspired me to return to SASS after a 4 year Hiatus. (actually inspired my wife to nudge so I would!  She I had been grumpy since I quit in 2012!)  You are right about the OT.  I re-watched it.  I kept my 4.75" Open Top to pair with my Schofield.  Now I need to get some affordable faux Ivory grips!

As a sideline, I got the Resistol hat and the vest I am wearing in my avitar pic at the museum store.... 

I believe I recall reading in Adler's book that Howell made two conversions and two Open Tops.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
Me at a local match.  Action shot of me shooting the 4.75" Open Top.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:58:49 AM »
Thanks, I actually saw the one at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum OKC in January. It was actually that visit that inspired me to return to SASS after a 4 year Hiatus. (actually inspired my wife to nudge so I would!  She I had been grumpy since I quit in 2012!)  You are right about the OT.  I re-watched it.  I kept my 4.75" Open Top to pair with my Schofield.  Now I need to get some affordable faux Ivory grips!

As a sideline, I got the Resistol hat and the vest I am wearing in my avitar pic at the museum store.... 

I believe I recall reading in Adler's book that Howell made two conversions and two Open Tops.

actually no.... Kenny made 3 Type 1's  for Saber River ...one the NRA has , that would be Selleck's take away gun...

National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum has another one , maybe the one (Director) Lowry received...
there was still another....

Hero pieces ( guns ) are usually made in 3s some times more ....Selleck's "Quigley" Sharps was 5 I think , one non-shooter with an Aluminium barrel ( lighter to carry around )  another toss about,  land in the dirt stand in gun...

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:03:05 AM »
I saw the one at the Cowboy Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City in January.  That's one of the reason I have an Open Top today, and a Richards Type II waiting!!!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »
I credit that visit to the Cowboy Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City (FABULOUS PLACE!) with my return to Cowboy Action Shooting after a four year hiatus.  As I walked wistfully around, my wife finally said "Why in the hell don't you start cowboy shooting again?" i could not give her a good reason.  So I said I would. 

She bought me my Resistol John Wayne collection hat and vest in the museum store, and told me it was a start.  I sold off about $3,500 of modern guns when we got home to California, and bought that much in Cowboy guns and costumes.

I left CAS in about 2013 for several reasons.  Partially, I was bored after 20 years and tired of gamers and too many rules.  A major factor though, was that I was working a job where I literally had to work every weekend.  To go to a match, I had to either trade a day or call in sick!  No being self employed as a Realtor, I had no good excuse.

Besides ther is a small club in our town that has matches much more like the matches 20-25 years ago.  Clay pigeon s and tin cans at 25 yards for rifle, some 50 and even 75 yard steel rams for rifle sprinkled in.  Our pistol targets are farther away than most clubs rifle targets!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »

I left CAS in about 2013 for several reasons.  Partially, I was bored after 20 years and tired of gamers and too many rules...

Besides ther is a small club in our town that has matches much more like the matches 20-25 years ago.  Clay pigeon s and tin cans at 25 yards for rifle, some 50 and even 75 yard steel rams for rifle sprinkled in.  Our pistol targets are farther away than most clubs rifle targets!

My Good Tolumane Tulomine ummm Lawman -

You have nailed my sentiments exactly.
There is even now on the "official" forum nitpicking arguments going back and forth over legality of "textured/lugged/treaded" boots... arg.

I myself prefer to dress as authentically as I can manage. but two pair of otherwise correct boots sport man-made slightly ridged soles. One can only see it if I am kicking the observer in the face LOL.

When I go , I go to a local club where they are "flexible", and yet most shooters are incredibly authentically dressed.

Everybody shoots
Everybody is safe
Everybody has a good time,
no nitpicking.
Some of us don't so much "compete for score" we are just there for the fun.
rather like an 1870 Rondy.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 11:12:37 PM »
My Good Tolumane Tulomine ummm Lawman -

You have nailed my sentiments exactly.
There is even now on the "official" forum nitpicking arguments going back and forth over legality of "textured/lugged/treaded" boots... arg.

I myself prefer to dress as authentically as I can manage. but two pair of otherwise correct boots sport man-made slightly ridged soles. One can only see it if I am kicking the observer in the face LOL.

When I go , I go to a local club where they are "flexible", and yet most shooters are incredibly authentically dressed.

Everybody shoots
Everybody is safe
Everybody has a good time,
no nitpicking.
Some of us don't so much "compete for score" we are just there for the fun.
rather like an 1870 Rondy.

yhs
prof marvel

AMEN, brother!  Our club we have fun, and only have one or two that even care about time/score.  I have even seen a "close miss" be called a hit because it "may have nicked" the target! Safety and fun.  And we all come back every month!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 07:25:36 AM »
Prof and Tuolumne,

I also agree.  We work hard to keep our club flexible and a place to have fun rather than focus on "gaming".  Our Range Master is one of the top national shooters, but I refuse to let him drag us down that road too far.  We let folks shoot pretty much anything that is safe and they enjoy - Wild Bunch, Cody Dixon (real rifle calibers at about 100 yards, Josey Wales (2 extra pistols instead of the rifle for the rifle targets), etc.

We've got to remember that if the average guy (who isn't a national champion level shooter) can't have fun, then the club, and our sport, will eventually fade away.

That's why I like to make smoke and harass all the posse members.  And I've gradually gotten quite a few other club members to take up BP and get more fun out of life......
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 07:27:37 AM »
And getting back to Tom Selleck - have you noticed in Crossfire Trail that Wilford Brimley uses an Evans rifle?  That's the only time I've seen one in a movie.  I actually got to see an Evans in the Boot Hill Museum in Dodge City Kansas recently.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline G Bulldog Grainisland III

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 08:43:57 AM »
This has inspired me to go and watch some TS westerns later.
Nice photos and good views on cas also

-Bulldog

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 09:27:40 AM »
And getting back to Tom Selleck - have you noticed in Crossfire Trail that Wilford Brimley uses an Evans rifle?  That's the only time I've seen one in a movie.  I actually got to see an Evans in the Boot Hill Museum in Dodge City Kansas recently.

Yep, love the Evans.  I actually had a chance to buy one 20+ years ago.  It was at an antique shop (the same one where I handled the Lt. Fahenstock 1860 Henry rifle).  It was non-functional, though, and I knew parts were unobtainable, so I passed.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »
It was Kenny Howell that got the Evens up and running ....That one was one of a kind

If you watch closely in "Saber River" you'll see a Halls carbine , Martha Cable's Spencer , the Henry Cable ( Selleck ) carries ( there were several of those two ) and if I recall a LaMat .

On a sad note it was Harry Carey Jr.'s last appearance on film  :(

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »
Yep we talked about this subject before  :)

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=26602.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com