Author Topic: A day with the cylinder loader  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
A day with the cylinder loader
« on: July 07, 2017, 06:00:59 PM »
Took a pair of Uberti 1860s out for a mornings shooting. They have Slix-Shot nipples and the usual attention necessary to make them run OK. I usually use a loading stand and simply load on the gun. This time I took along Dick Dastardly's Tower of Power, just for a change of pace. Long story short, I was able to fire each gun 60 times each without a single problem. Lots of people have duplicated this, and more, so whats the big deal? Well, each time I broke down the gun to load the cylinder I did a quick cleaning in areas that were getting the most fouling, like where the barrel lug and frame meet. I also wiped off the Slix-Shots and did a spray of Ballistol on the arbor. My whole point is, due to this minimal attention in between loadings, shot #1 and shot #60 felt exactly the same from both guns. The guns could have kept going for more. There was no feeling of sluggish fouling drag when working the actions. When I load on the gun using a stand which doesn't lend itself as easily to this quick cleaning, I can get about 40 shots in before things start to feel sluggish. It doesn't matter what combination of wads and lubes I use, and I've tried most of the combinations people have suggested over the last few years.
So it took me about 2 1/2 hours to fire 120 rounds by the above method, but it was trouble free. If I am in for a relaxed day of shooting the cap & ball pistols, I think I will take along the cylinder loader.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: A day with the cylinder loader
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 08:02:09 PM »
Hey Navy Six.

I am also an unabashed, card carrying, vocal proponent of "The Tower of Power."  Mostly for all of the reasons you cite.  I actually don't have a real choice.  I shoot Cap Gun Snubbies as my main match guns.  No rammers on the gun (that can be used).  I also shoot Gunfighter.  I can't really tolerate "oops."

Since I essentially take the gun apart between each stage, I wipe down the cylinder face, wipe down the breach end of the barrel, wipe off the fouled part of the arbor and hit it with a couple drops of oil.  Takes longer to type than to actually do.  It matters not, One Stage, Six Stages or 10 Stages.  My guns run exactly the same for the entire match.  Gotta LOVE IT!!

Unashamed, unsolicited, shameless PLUG for "The Tower of Power."  Plus, I have added "Ram Stops" so both of mine seat the projectile to exactly the same depth every time.

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 06:01:33 AM »
Wanted one, but DD was out of stock...he was also having issue with his manufacturer...
 I was communicating with Dick and he had orders backed up as he tried to resolve.
He ultimately had to find a new supplier and that took several months.

I agree the "The Tower of Power." is a slick piece....

But....during the above "out of stock" my order went hunting  :(

I had just received my Schaeffer and Coffin Maker had done his magic....it was time to shoot....but no loader

Putting another 51 Navy barrel on just to load ...was  'no bueno'

I'm not very patience  ::)  IT WAS TIME TO SHOOT !   

So there is another loader out there ... cylinder loader from Powder, Inc.   it works , it ain't "George Jetson" Uber Cool looks
like the "The Tower of Power." ....but it works with efficiency and  mutt looks .  :P

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:31:59 AM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 08:24:36 AM »
Finally, the Tower of Power cylinder loading stands are back in stock for immediate delivery.  It took some arm twisting but they are once again available.

Thanks for mentioning.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »
DDD

My pleasure!!  And another SHAMELESS PLUG for "THE TOWER OF POWER"

It's really nice to buy something that works right out of the box, First Time - Every Time

Your Pal
Smedley

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »
I wanted Steak.... settled for hamburger  ;)

like I said ..."I'm not very patience  ::)   IT WAS TIME TO SHOOT !   

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »
That little bit extra attention given to the guns when you break them down for loading makes a difference for me. I frequently run a posse and don't have time to do this during a match. This has led to a variety of issues, probably because I'm trying to hurry the loading process while attending to posse duties. I have a consecutive pair of Uberti squareback 1851 Navies which are my favorites. They never let me down, until I used them in one match. It was one of those days where everything and everybody seemed to go wrong. I got a total of eight rounds to go off after two stages! Kept getting the priming disc blocking the firing channel in the Slix-Shots. Probably seating the caps too hard while simultaneously dealing with posse concerns. But isn't that the point? Breaking down for loading allows for a little more finesse when time allows. Just my opinion.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 03:41:38 PM »
Six >>>>

Delegate Padawan .... Delegate.  You really don't have time NOT to take the time to do it right.

Priming Disc??  Does not Compute.

Coffinmaker

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 12:34:48 PM »
The thing I'm calling the priming disc is the little green priming compound inside the Remington caps. For some reason I got a batch that when they didn't fire, left the green priming compound, in the shape of a round disc or wafer, in the the Slix- Shots which effectively blocked the fire from the next cap. Each time was exactly the same. I had two possible conclusions:  1. I initially seated the caps with too much force (I use a wooden dowel) 2. I noticed the Slix-Shots are squared off at the cone opening which may "cut into" the priming compound with too much seating force, or 3. a combination of the two--I know I said only two conclusions but I just thought of the third now! Anyway, anyone else run into this problem, with Remington caps or otherwise?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 01:46:20 PM »
Ummmm ....... No  :o

Coffinmaker

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 03:56:46 PM »
Back-off the pressure when seating the caps. Just enough, till you feel the cap bottom-out and no more. I had that happen a few times, till I figured it out.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 05:14:34 AM »
I've seen it a few times, in reenacting days with RWS , on occasion,  I note the cap had no compound at all
Never enough, to analyzed it though, just chalked it up to defective cap.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 07:59:35 AM »
OK over the years (back to corrosive caps) that is one thing that has not happened to me. I think that any thing else including a chain fire has gone on with the cap guns. Looking forward to this occurring some time when running the last stage and going clean.
No booya for Bunk
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
I used to hate my 60's cause of the binding that would happen so quickly.

It was suggested that I reduce my powder load, and Navy Six, you know that isn't gonna work for me......

But I asked another C&B'er what he used, and he told me he uses what Rowdy Yates suggests........Tri-Flow.....on the arbor.  I now use lithium grease on the arbor, and when the binding starts, I drop a few drops of Tri-flow on the arbor/cylinder face to take care of the fouling/binding.
God forgives, I don't........

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 09:18:01 PM »
and +1 on the Tower of Power.

Even works with my loads...... ::)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 03:19:43 PM »
Cemetery, I'm working on welding two cylinders together for one of your 1860s. This way you can have a little more powder capacity!!! ;) Heaven forbid you shoot a reduced load! ::)

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 04:23:46 PM »
The welding would be the easy part.  The fitting would be a bitch.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
Heaven forbid you shoot a reduced load! ::)

That's right.

And you know what I say, if I ain't shooting 80grains of black, no reason to get outta bed..... ;D 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com