Author Topic: .44 Henry cartridge - Very under rated!  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
.44 Henry cartridge - Very under rated!
« on: July 07, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
The .44 henry flat, with its 28 grains of BP and a 200 grain flat nose bullet, travels from the rifle at 1125 fps (confirmed by my 200 grain, 28 grain BP .45 Schofield .44 Henry Duplication load from my Uberti 1860 Henry). At the muzzle, it is around 575 ft lbs , which is better than the best 40 S&W and about 50-75 ft lbs shy of the standard 175 grain Winchester Silvertip 10mm round.  At 100 yards, the .44 henry flat is still traveling about 950-960 fps! This still gives about 425 ft lbs at 100 yards - equal to a good 200 grain .45 ACP loading at the muzzle.  No one disparages the 10mm or the .45 ACP!

Then we have the pistols: Smith and Wesson No.3 Americans and Colt 1871 Open Tops.  Revolvers give  around 800 - 900 fps (based on my 200 grain, 28 grain BP .45 Schofield Henry Duplication load from revolvers). That would give around 350 ft. lbs muzzle energy, the same as standard velocity 9mm or 45 ACP ball.  Not too shabby!

Considering the proliferation of the .44 rimfire in the West, it proved itself effective in combat and hunting (as long as you don't get too ambitious!) for 40 or 50 years! With around 200,000 firearms (1860 Henry, 1866 Winchesters, and assorted S&W and Colt  revolvers) produced, it certainly saw widespread usage.  Was it better than the .44 WCF? Certainly not.  It was, however, far more effective than we modern magnum and +P crazy shooters appreciate!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: .44 Henry cartridge - Very under rated!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 02:24:20 AM »
Its cool that we get replicas of the rifle and pistols that the carteidge was chambered for, imagining what a man did with that cartridge is amazing. I know people put it down as a pip squeak round. But people relied on it...for even the most ambitious huntera out there and tried it on buffalo. I just would hate to be the poor guy who relied on it at a life n death situation and here it go "click". But i wouldve been glad to have a rifle n pistol that shoot cqrtridges at the time.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 01:12:28 PM »
Plus One to Tuolumne Lawman .....

And ........

We are talking about the first practical "Assault Rifle."  Even though the military powers that were didn't realize nor understand the concept.  The rifle was the success it was because of the cartridge.  Follow any Forum or Thread that addresses the trials and tribulations of folks trying to run BP and Subs through Straight Wall cartridges.  The 44 Henry Flat worked so well because it was a Copper case.  Seal'd up the Henry chamber tight like a Frogs Butt.  Modern thick wall "Brass" cases won't do that.  Blow-By is just Du-Rigger unless special steps are undertaken to attenuate (super new wurd) the Blow-By.  The Henry was also equipped with a Double Strike firing pin.  Actually two firing pins, one on each side of the bolt.  Very positive and reliable ignition.

A perfect, although miniature replication of the 44 Henry Flat, is the modern 22LR Rim Fire.  Exactly the same principals and construction methods.  Right down to healed outside lubed bullets.

Now if I could only get my sweaty paws on an Original I could afford, and a couple hundred thousand rounds of 44 Henry Flat Rim Fire >>>>>>>>>>

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:00:24 AM »

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 04:02:55 PM »
I've taken 2 coyotes with my modern henry equivlant loads and both were one shot kills. That round worked without question on the frontier.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
Discovered this Original box label and made this box ....  printed & made the box that is ...no plagiarism...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 05:46:30 PM »
Major Two,

That reproduction 50 Round Henry Flat cartridge box is just so FREEKING KOOL!!!!  Outstanding Monsieur!!!

Now for the Reproduction Henry Flat firing rifle and the Hundred Thousand reproduction Henry Flat Rounds.  Should only take .. What about two three weeks??  Can hardly wait!!

Coffinmaker

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 12:54:42 AM »
 Im not knocking it, if i could shoot an original henry or 66 with the rimfire ammo, id shoot it. I know the double firing pins helped with the whole reliability part. But you know, you can get a dead one in during a bad time....hunting experience memories, sorry about that.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
In my callow youth , and not knowing much about old guns, I held in my hands a funny looking lever action carbine with no original finish but a nice even brown patina. The owner wanted $10 for it, which, since in 1950 that was a lot of money, I passed on it. It did not even have a fore end which any respectable rifle should have.

Fast forward a few years, or perhaps more than a few, when I came to realize what I had missed and you guessed it, an original iron frame 1860 Henry! Even with the shortened barrel a rare piece.

When Uberti came out with the 1860 I decided to purchase of the Uberti Iron frame model 1860 Henry in .45 Colt. This has come to be my go-to-gun for CASS shooting. Thanks to the Happy Trails lifter it has been converted to .45 Cowboy Special.

I realize the brass is not now available but I stumbled on a cache of almost 700 pieces of new and once fired cases. Along with my original AJ purchase it gives me a good supply of cases.

Those cases loaded with the Dick Dastardly recipe of 1.3 c/c FFFg and a 200 grain Big Lube™ bullet which I feel that pretty much replicates the original .44 Henry Flat cartridge.

The rifle has not had a smokessomewhatless load through, just plain old, as DuPont called it, Gun Powder and a hand cast 200 grain 1:30 lead bullet. I find the tiny bit of tin makes a better, fuller, bullet.

The gun shot to POA right out of the box and with the rear sight flipped up will hit a Cody Dixon target at 100 yards not unlike the shot Gus made in Lonesome Dove.

Since I have started shooting Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter the rifle fits me just fine. I am well past the age of a hard case competitor, but I do have lots of fun with it.

Yr’ Obt’ Svt’
Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com