Author Topic: Using blackpowder inline bullets in a .45 acp.  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Using blackpowder inline bullets in a .45 acp.
« on: July 12, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
I have a feeling this has been asked before so please forgive me if i am beating that dead horse.

I have a bunch of .45 caliber black powder inline bullets I need to get rid of. I had an epiphany a while ago and realized that if I remove the plastic thingy on the end they might be usable in my 1911s. The ones I have a 225grain, .450 diameter. My normal .45 bullets of course are .451. Other than the diameter and the boss for the cup to mount on, they look about the same as a standard .45acp bullet. I am sure there are some differences in the shape of the ogive and so forth but I can see no reason they should not work in my 1911s. I am sure I will get some blow be because of the smaller diameter. I normall shoot plated bullets anyway.

Any body ever try this?  

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Using blackpowder inline bullets in a .45 acp.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »
Well, your pistol will have to answer this question for you.

Many 1911 pistols are designed to have the rebated shank of the exposed part of the bullet (the beginning of the ogive) up, into the lands.  Most 1911s will not run if the bullet is not rebated (relieved) in front of the case mouth.  Many 1911 pistols have no throat.

Load a few dummy rounds and see if your pistol will eat them.  There is no other way to know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com