Author Topic: Opportunity for Uberti Schofield  (Read 24823 times)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Opportunity for Uberti Schofield
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 09:17:20 PM »
I have a Laramie, which although they call it a New Model Number 3 it's really just a fancy version of a Schofield.  I had it to the range and it shot well but the top screw that you loosen to open it fell out and I nearly lost it. Any suggestions to keep this from happening again.  Loc Tite?

Actually Will, the New Model Number Three is not a fancy version of the Schofield. It is a completely separate model. Different grip shape, different barrel latch, and the lockwork is a bit different too. Shorter ejector mechanism too, that's why the extractor housing is so short. Rebounding hammer too, that the Schofield does not have.

Can't help you with the screw on top, that is an addition that Uberti made, it is a carry over from the 3rd Model Russian. The original New Model Number Threes did not have that. To remove the cylinder you just open the latch up all the way and spin the cylinder up against the thread on the arbor.

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »
Hey pard, is that an ASM Scofield?  The baffle on the front of the cylinder that goes under the barrel looks longer than my Uberti.  IRC, ASMs did better with black powder than Ubertis.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
Yippee!  Shot the Schofield at a River City regulator's match today.  Shot clean with it!  (In fact I shot the match clean except for one shot from my Open Top wher I was a might too anxious to get off that last shot! ???
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 09:53:57 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »
A picture of this old f@rt shooting the Schofield.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 11:58:58 PM »
Since I was going to the range to test my new Type II Richards Conversion (I LOVE IT!!!!!), I thought I would drag the Schofield along.  Last match I thought I was still shooting low, even using the open "U" above the rear sight notch as a battle sight, with the blade even with it.  

Well, shooting at a 4" Bullseye at 7 yards, it was still shooting low, POI being about 2"- 3" below POA.  Granted I was shooting the last of my 7.0 grains of Trail Boss (I am stepping down to 6.0 grains, now), but I don't think that was the problem.  I think I will take some 6.0 grain loads and a file, and go to the range and do a little trimming of the front sight.  I like my POI to be about 3" above POA at 7-10 yards.  I figure about 1/8" off the top should be about right, but I will start at 1/16" first.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 03:37:13 PM »
I shortened the front sight on my Uberti Schofield several years ago.  It was consistently 4" low at 25yds.  If you're confident what he error is and the exact range, you can use a little high school math and determine how much to shorten the sight. (Think similar triangles)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »
I shortened the front sight on my Uberti Schofield several years ago.  It was consistently 4" low at 25yds.  If you're confident what he error is and the exact range, you can use a little high school math and determine how much to shorten the sight. (Think similar triangles)

Thanks!  That's where I came up with 1/8", but even so, I will start with half that.  The 44-40 Schofield I had years ago, I had to trim the sight also.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2017, 06:53:48 AM »
I've ordered a new model 3 from cimmaron but won't be here for another couple of months. Any ideas on where to pick up a set of black plastic grips like the ones shown in the photo above on the nickel plated one???

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2017, 06:56:36 AM »
Disregard on the grips ! I re- discovered the discussion and will be looking at S and S as well as Dixie Gun works. Thanks guys.  :-[

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2017, 08:29:24 PM »
Found a website called. Vintagegrips.com.

Found the exact hard rubber ( plastic) I will be needing!!

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2017, 08:43:44 PM »
Good company. I have bought from them before.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2017, 05:21:55 AM »
"....Found a website called. Vintagegrips.com. "

They weren't lost  ;D

Your Disregard post.... suggested I not mention them....  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2017, 03:54:03 PM »
Nice!!!!!

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2017, 09:28:38 AM »
Update:  I trimmed the front sight down about 1/16".  Using it with the top of the front sight level with the "U" in the latch above the rear sight, it shoots about 2 inches above point of aim at 7 yards.  PERFECT!  Also, the Schofield much prefers the 6.0 grains of trail Boss to the 7.0 I was using.  While I really like the thump of the 7.0 grain load, the 5.9 to 6.0 grain load still has better group size with enough thump to make me happy.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2017, 05:02:05 AM »
I only shoot .45 Scholfield FFg Goex loads in my 5" Navy Arms Schofield. Never had any problems getting through a 6 stage match. No modifications, just lube the arbor with bore butter and go.
When I bought it used I ran 60 rounds of goex loads through it to be sure.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2017, 11:32:37 AM »
Wow, I'm impressed!  When I had my 44-40 Schofield, even lubing the arbor with Bore Butter, I was lucky to get three stages.  May a difference of powder charge (I was doing 35 grains FFFG Goex as opposed to 25 grains FFG) or a difference in tolerances.  Mine was a first year production Navy Arms gun, and the tolerances were TIGHT!  On an annual match with a lot of stages, I would have to clean it after 6 or 7 stages, even shooting smokeless.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2017, 08:09:40 AM »
I only shoot .45 Scholfield FFg Goex loads in my 5" Navy Arms Schofield. Never had any problems getting through a 6 stage match. No modifications, just lube the arbor with bore butter and go.
When I bought it used I ran 60 rounds of goex loads through it to be sure.

JW
It depends on the individual gun. I had one Schofield that would shoot BP until the end of the day. Now I have one that won't shoot 5 rounds without binding no matter what I do with it.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com