Author Topic: Opportunity for Uberti Schofield  (Read 24827 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Opportunity for Uberti Schofield
« on: July 01, 2017, 11:05:08 PM »
Well, I have an opportunity to get a Uberti Schofield for a Cowboy Chronicle article.  I plan on paying for it and keeping it.  I got one of the first Navy Arms Schofields in .44-40 about 1996 or 1997 when they first came out, and loved it.  Even though I have 44-40 rifles, though, I think I will go with .45 instead of .44-40 this time for two reasons: One, I already shoot 1971 Open Tops loaded with .45 Schofields, and two, .45 Schofield is just the correct caliber.

I already have an 1881, butt forward, half flap Schofield holster that I have been using with the 7.5" Open Top and my Fairweather Christian cartridge belt.  I'll probably sell one of my two Open Tops, but not sure if it will be the 4.75" or the 7.5"  I could get a left hand butt forward for the 7.5"  That would be cool.

No BP will be shot, just Trail Boss and occasionally APP.  I learned 20 years ago that Uberti Schofields HATE BP and Pyrodex.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Opportunity for Uberti Schofield
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
Well Humpff !!

Pyrodex was originally invented as a Rusting Agent.  It was only later found it would burn  ::)   ;D

You will find APP, like Black, will tie your Schofield up like a Hog going to BBQ.   :o 

Don't ask how I know these facts   :P

Coffinmaker

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »
Well Humpff !!

Pyrodex was originally invented as a Rusting Agent.  It was only later found it would burn  ::)   ;D

You will find APP, like Black, will tie your Schofield up like a Hog going to BBQ.   :o  

Don't ask how I know these facts   :P

Coffinmaker

Kind of agree with the coffin dude. You either go smokeless, or full blown blackpowder*. The way in between should be called no man's land. ::)

*You can even use both. Preferably not at the same time (for logistic reasons).  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:27:35 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 01:57:06 PM »
Thanks, 99% of my shooting is smokeless i.e. Trail Boss in both .45 Schofield and .44-40.  Once a year, there is a BP night shoot at Railroad Flat annual match.  That would be the only time I would even use APP at all.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 03:53:29 PM »
Thanks, 99% of my shooting is smokeless i.e. Trail Boss in both .45 Schofield and .44-40.  Once a year, there is a BP night shoot at Railroad Flat annual match.  That would be the only time I would even use APP at all.

For blackpowder in a Schofield try to get hold of Swiss powder #1(FFFG equivalent) if you can. You will be surprised with the small amount of soot fouling left behind. And be sure to use plenty, and I do mean plenty of a good blackpowder lube.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »
Keep in mind, with APP there is lots of smoke.... but little flame and no sparks

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blackjack Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • BADGES!!!!! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES
    • Open Top Productions
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 03:39:13 PM »
I feel your pain Tuolumne Lawman.  I have an opportunity to purchase an 5.5" Uberti Schofield in 45 Colt, but I only load with APP or BlacklMZ powder. I know...I know its not like the real thing but I'm working my way towards the Holy Black.  I wish there was a cure-all for these revolvers beside the use of smokeless.
Blackjack Charlie
NCOWS Secretary
Senator
NCOWS #3785 Pistoleer
STORM 433
2017 Inaugural SMVS The Quick and The Dead  Shootout Winner
Webmaster and Deputy Marshal Johnson County Rangers
http://www.jcrangers.org/

A proud member of Open Top Productions
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1giK15YACmSiF93l-kiS3Q
Please subscribe to our YouTube channel

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 04:11:43 PM »
There actually is a "Cure All" for the Uberti Schofield.

The gun has to go to a really good machinist.  The barrel lug has to be relieved under the barrel to permit a gas ring to be installed.  It helps if one has either an original or very good photograph of the Original Schofield Gas Ring.  The gas ring should also be rebated into the cylinder face.

Driftwood Johnson has done some really excellent explanations accompanied with some really good photographs of what is necessary to get an Uberti to run with BP.  It will be a mite expensive.

Coffinmaker

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 07:28:45 PM »
There actually is a "Cure All" for the Uberti Schofield.

The gun has to go to a really good machinist.  The barrel lug has to be relieved under the barrel to permit a gas ring to be installed.  It helps if one has either an original or very good photograph of the Original Schofield Gas Ring.  The gas ring should also be rebated into the cylinder face.

Driftwood Johnson has done some really excellent explanations accompanied with some really good photographs of what is necessary to get an Uberti to run with BP.  It will be a mite expensive.

Coffinmaker

Thanks, good info.  Makes sense!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 11:46:35 AM »
Wooo Wooo!  ;D My 7" 45 Colt Schofield is on the way to my dealer for 10 day Californication jail.  It will be my Schofield and my 7.5" Open Top, both shooting .45 Schofield loads for my primary main match pistols....  

As I said, I had one of the first Schofield Navy Arms brought in in the 90s, but it was .44-40.   I foolishly sold it when I went out on disability retirement 4 or 5 years later, and have always wanted to replace it.  I'm like Ralphie waiting for Christmas to get his Red Ryder BB gun!  ::)
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Buzzard Bayne

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
Looking forward to your article.  I just picked up a Uberti New Model No3 Frontier Model in 45 Colt from Taylors and Company. 

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 02:08:01 PM »
Thanks.  I am enjoying myself since I re-joined the Cowboy Chronicle as a staff writer, after a 4 year hiatus.  I was with them from about 1996 until around 2013 or so.  In the past, I evaluated guns from EMF, Cimarron, Marlin, Taylor's, Winchester, Pedersoli, Pedretti, and a couple others.  Thus far, only Taylor's has stepped up with author samples.  So for now, the majority of my CAS armory is from Taylor's.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 09:30:46 PM »
How ironic:  I happen to watch Crossfire Trail with Tom Selleck again today.  He carries a 7" Schofield strong side, and what appears to be a 7.5" 1872 Open Top in a cross draw.  When I get my Schofield out of jail, I will have it strong side, and my 7.5" .45 open top cross draw!  LOL.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »
Wooo Wooo!  My Schofield is at the dealer's place.  He is a fellow shooter at our SASS club, and he is bring it (and the 44-40 1866 24" Sporting Rifle) to the match to start the 10 day jail.  The cool thing is he said I can "test fire" them at the match! ;D  I think 50 rounds from the rifle and 25 from the Schofield will be a good test....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 08:29:01 PM »
WOW!     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The FFL brought the Uberti Schofield to the match for me to "test fire", and I shot it as one of my main match pistols.

Awesome!  It is slick and smooth from the factory, and has about a 2+ lb. trigger. The fit and finish are gorgeous, at least as nice, in fact nicer than the original Navy Arms .44-40 Schofield I got in 1995 or 1996.  The bluing on all of the upper end Ubertis these days is really good, very dark and lustrous.  The color case on the latch, hammer, and trigger guard is very defined and noticeable.

It was dead nuts on at 10 yards with my 200 grain RNFP bullet, over 7.0 grains of Trail boss in a .45 Schofield case. Unlike the .44-40 Schofield I had 20 years ago that shot low,(you had to use the open top part of the latch as a "battle Sight") this one was perfectly regulated using the rear sight notch in the bottom of the open part of the rear latch.

There was unanimous agreement that the Schofield and the 1871 Open Top (both shot duelist) got the style award points for the match!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 10:27:19 PM »
...There was unanimous agreement that the Schofield and the 1871 Open Top (both shot duelist) got the style award points for the match!

There was a guy who shot with the Tejas Caballeros around 15 or so years ago that always shot that same pair of pistols.  I can't remember if he shot them duelist or not.  Just remembered his alias, it was Lanky Lambert  :)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 09:42:24 AM »
Thanks!  He was probably inspired the way I was:  Tom Selleck in "Crossfire Trail."  I watched it a week or so ago for the first time since it was first released.  Selleck had the Schofield in a nice Mexican Loop (which I have for mine) and a cross draw for the Open Top.  Before I watched it this time, I struggled a little bit with not getting a second Schofield, but the coolness of Selleck with one of each   

I'll post pics when I pick it up.  started my Cowboy Chronicle article about it last night.  i was feeling inspired!won me over!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 10:37:17 AM »
I have a Laramie, which although they call it a New Model Number 3 it's really just a fancy version of a Schofield.  I had it to the range and it shot well but the top screw that you loosen to open it fell out and I nearly lost it. Any suggestions to keep this from happening again.  Loc Tite?
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 02:46:10 PM »
Yep. Blue loctite gums it and doesn't really get hard.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 05:38:29 PM »
ARGHHHH!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P
5 more days until I can pick up my Schofield (and 1866 in .44-40!).  Patience in NOT my strong suite.... I'm like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story" waiting for his Red Ryder BB Gun.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com