Author Topic: Amateur milling machine - Anybody got one - recommendations.  (Read 16944 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: Amateur milling machine - Anybody got one - recommendations.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »
Prof, I've ordered a pair of gas springs to replace the coil spring unit. They will mount inside ofnthe column. I also plan on stiffining the column with a piece of plate. Photos to follow.
Update-- air springs came today, I've built the air spring assembly with the small pulley on the bottom. Tomorrow I'll build the cap that sits on top of the column. Waiting for the 1/16 in cable. Also need another small pulley for the top. I've built the column y axis tram adjustment gizmo. Painted the base too. Pictures tomorrow.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »
Guys, I've gotten my upgrades done (so far) and here's what I've done. A stiffening plate with extra bolts to allow in-out adjustment of the column, two air springs in the column--eliminating the spring, a 9 inch stand and removal of the backlash. To get the unit on my stand I had to use my deer gimbals, a double pulley and a single pulley hung off the upstairs floor joices over my bench. Hoist a bit and put something under it until it was the right height and then I rolled the one work table out of the way and the one with the stand under it. Didn't even mess up the paint. Here's some photos.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 03:04:28 PM »
The air springs work great. But when they sit awhile you have to remember to compress them before you slacken them because they stick and and then expand which can mess up the cable. I used bearings and aluminum odds and ends laying around the shop to build the top of the column.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:23:49 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 03:17:58 PM »
Here's where the air spring idea came from. Next thing that I'll have to order is a longer rack to take full advantage of them.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 05:03:26 PM »
 Those are nice improvement's,,,,and nice work!!! Thank's for sharing.

smoke'm if y'a got'm,,,,Hootmix.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 06:38:33 PM »
After doing an eyeball tram of my mill using a small right angle I finally started on my first job. Making chips, HDPE chips but chips non the less. (As soon as I get my dial mic and magnetic base unit I'll properly tram the mill.) My first job is a Lewis gun-AR upper pan magazine mod to get it to work with .45 acp. I'm milling slots in a piece of HDPE spacer that will hold the acp ammo in the tray. Hardly a thousands of an inch proposition though the math for the cuts was a challenge to my old brain. If I can get the pan mag to work I will work on the ratchet assembly that mounts on the upper. As nobody has done this as far as I know it's an experimental feel as you go kinda thing. Pictures tomorrow.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 01:38:46 PM »
Here's my work so far. I like my new toy a bunch.

Here is the teflon or HDPE (not really sure) insert in the Lewis pan. I had to use a 1/4 inch aluminum spacer under it. I plan on removing a lot of the spacer to lighten the magazine. The actual Lewis pan has no bottom as the posts and slot in the center part held the bullet of the 303 ammo. I will have to make a bottom that will be screwed to the aluminum center piece. This part will be stationary on the gun while the pan and insert holding the ammo will rotate. As the pan rotates a fresh rd will drop onto a carrier that will be in the mag well. Just thinking out loud here but if I can make it spring loaded so that it catches the rd as it drops from the pan and then as the bolt moves forward the bolt will pick up the rd and depress the carrier out of the way. If I can get the pan mag to work I'll try to make the ratchet unit. We'll see what works and go from there.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Sergeant Klondike

• Texas Territorial Detachment
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life Member, SASS 11461
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »
NIce job, Ed!
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »
Just a heads up. I used flat rollers on top of the column for my air spring cable instead of an actual pulley. I did use a pulley with a guard wire on the bottom of the springs. I got cheap and used what I had in the shop. Well today the cable got hung up between the top roller and the aluminum support. Didn't damage anything. But I put a thin oversized washer on each side, maybe that will keep the cable from hanging up. I've ordered my 14 inch rack and some more goodies from The Little Machine Shop today too.
Update---my goodies arrived. Will install this week before it gets too cold next week.
Update---installed the 14 inch rack yesterday and removed some slack from the cable to get more z height.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com