Author Topic: Custer In The News  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Custer In The News
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »
I don't think we will ever let Custer and his men rest in peace. My favorite Custer book is Custer's Trials   A Life On The Frontier Of A New America by T. J. Stiles. What's yours ?    Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »
I don't think we will ever let Custer and his men rest in peace. My favorite Custer book is Custer's Trials   A Life On The Frontier Of A New America by T. J. Stiles. What's yours ?    Jw

I have 61 books, numerous articles, essays, notes, photos, maps etc on Custer and the Little Bighorn and, they are all my favorites.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:55:46 PM »

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 11:16:41 AM »
If your interested, W. W. Cooke's pocket watch up for sale.                      Jw

Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 10:12:17 PM »
If your interested, W. W. Cooke's pocket watch up for sale.   https://youtu.be/4zTJgEcpw_c                   Jw

[/I can add to this story.  On April 5, 1999, the Remington revolver, holster and farriers knife that belonged to WW Cooke, were sold at auction at Red Deer, Alberta, Canada by Blake Cooke (WW Cooke's great-nephew). Bud Haynes was the auctioneer. I was at the auction and actually had the pistol in my hand,  The person who bought them was Art Unger of Hicksville, NY for $40,000 US.  I assume it was Art Unger who sold them in 2015 for $55,000.

One correction on the talk given on youtube, Capt Benteen was not in charge of the pack train on June 25, 1876.  Benteen was in command of companies D,H and K.  Capt Mcdougall was in command of Company D, and it was he who was in charge of the pack train that followed behind the rest of the command on the advance forward.  Other than that everything that was said regarding the LBH by the speaker was accurate as we know it.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »
If your interested, W. W. Cooke's pocket watch up for sale.   https://youtu.be/4zTJgEcpw_c                   Jw

[/I can add to this story.  On April 5, 1999, the Remington revolver, holster and farriers knife that belonged to WW Cooke, were sold at auction at Red Deer, Alberta, Canada by Blake Cooke (WW Cooke's great-nephew). Bud Haynes was the auctioneer. I was at the auction and actually had the pistol in my hand,  The person who bought them was Art Unger of Hicksville, NY for $40,000 US.  I assume it was Art Unger who sold them in 2015 for $55,000.

One correction on the talk given on youtube, Capt Benteen was not in charge of the pack train on June 25, 1876.  Benteen was in command of companies D,H and K.  Capt Mcdougall was in command of Company D, and it was he who was in charge of the pack train that followed behind the rest of the command on the advance forward.  Other than that everything that was said regarding the LBH by the speaker was accurate as we know it.

Actually, Benteen was in charge of the pack train. The Pack train wasn't in Benteen's immediate area when he left on his oblique, but when Custer originally split the command, Reno took 3 companies, Benteen in charge of 4 companies, including the pack train and Custer kept 5 companies under his immediate command.
I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com