Author Topic: Shotgun Chambering  (Read 5583 times)

Offline skidsteer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shotgun Chambering
« on: June 26, 2017, 12:55:34 AM »
I have a 1904 Winchester 1897 which is chambered in 2 5/8. (I used a chamber gauge to check it). Would pressures be too high for target load 2 3/4 12 gauge? Please advise. Thanks!

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Shotgun Chambering
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 05:22:06 AM »
The short answer is to get it fixed.  As it is, it will never be right, fixed it will always be right!

Blackfoot 8)

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 09:52:24 AM »
Yes.
Something to remember about Shotgun "Target" load.  Shotgun target loads are intended to break clay birds out to 35 - 40 yards.  Most think target means "light."  NO.  Often Target ammo is loaded heavier than "field" ammo.  2 3/4 hulls will not open fully in an 2 5/8 chamber and will create nasty pressure spikes.

Things recommended.  Have the gun rechambered and have the forcing cone extended.  Your shotgun and your shoulder will thank you.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:47:14 PM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »
I just had my Model 42 Marlin 12 ga chamber cut for modern shells. It definitely will make a difference in felt recoil. Extending the chamber- forcing cone gives the folded up part of a modern plastic shotgun shell somewhere to go and allows the wad and shot column to enter the actual barrel without restrictions which can deform the shot, disturb the column and increase felt recoil.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline skidsteer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:11:04 AM »
Called my gunsmith yesterday. He will re-chamber to 2 3/4. Then Tech Plate in CA will hard chrome the barrel. Thanks for you replies! Skidsteer.

Offline skidsteer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 06:28:08 AM »
Took this shotgun to my gunsmith a while back. He informed me that model (1904) was originally chambered for 2 3/4.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
People keep coming up with this notion that older Model 97s have short chambers.  All Model 97s had 2 3/4" chambers. 

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
People keep coming up with this notion that older Model 97s have short chambers.  All Model 97s had 2 3/4" chambers. 

I've always wondered, but didn't research it as my 1908 seems to work quite well with regular 2 3/4" shells. You wouldn't be trying to pettifog us, would you 8) ;D

I do shoot split-neck AA's cut to 2 3/8" and roll crimped to gain that extra round for wild bunch shoots. "Cuts down" on gun plumber fees. :)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
There is, however, a difference between a really old 2 3/4" chamber and a more modern one.  That is the forcing cone.  Even though the chambers are 2 3/4" I often run a forcing cone reamer into the chambers of older guns.

If interested you can go here.  The description pretty well describes what the forcing cone reamer does.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-tools/reamers/shotgun-reamers/spiral-flute-long-forcing-cone-reamer-prod1031.aspx

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 06:15:20 PM »
Perhaps i am off thread, but I take RPU (range pick up ) shells any kind, cut off the crimped mouth part  then  load with card and fiber wads, a modicum of FFg (4.0 c/c) and a roll crimp. If the shot misses the target the flame and shock wave does the job.
At least that works for me
Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com