Author Topic: Nettleton questions.  (Read 7835 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Nettleton questions.
« on: June 25, 2017, 01:03:33 AM »
If only I had $1,900. Henry Nettleton .45 Colt with 5 1/2" barrel.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/660114310
Since this forum has been slow I'll ask some questions.
1. The cartouche on the right side stock appears to be HN for Henry Nettleton. Whose initials are on the left side cartouche?
2. The left side cartouche also has "1878" above it. Is a 5 1/2" barrel historically accurate for an 1878 Nettleton inspected SAA?
3. Lastly, regardless of historical accuracy, what barrel lengths did USFA offer on the Nettleton?

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Nettleton questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 10:08:30 AM »
I will get my Nettleton out and check the cartouche's.  5 1/2 " barrel is not historically correct.  The 5 1/2 barrel US pistols aka Artillery Models were cut down by the arsenal about the time of the SA war.

I bought mine new several years back and paid about $1500 then.  $1900 is a good price IMO.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
Not sure that we can say that the 5 & 1/2" models are not "historically correct."  To do that, we must assume that none of the Nettleton models were ever cut down.  Hopefully, Gary Granger will step in and educate us all. :)
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:00:39 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:50:41 PM »
When we speak of "authenticity," it matters not what USFA or Uberti or Alfred E. Neuman manufactures.  It matters what was done when to what by USG Armorers.  We don't necessarily know what was sent back for re-hab when nor why.  Ergo, I don't think we can positively state one way or the other.  At this point in time, since the gun is a reproduction, does it really matter??  I don't really want to be too flip (you believe that ... right??) but with a reproduction ... ah .. who cares??

coffinmaker

PS:  I'm a dry hole for what barrel length was offered on the Nettleton guns by USFA.  Original Colt guns, on the other hand, were 7 1/2.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
When we speak of "authenticity," it matters not what USFA or Uberti or Alfred E. Neuman manufactures.  It matters what was done when to what by USG Armorers.  We don't necessarily know what was sent back for re-hab when nor why.  Ergo, I don't think we can positively state one way or the other.  At this point in time, since the gun is a reproduction, does it really matter??  I don't really want to be too flip (you believe that ... right??) but with a reproduction ... ah .. who cares??

coffinmaker

PS:  I'm a dry hole for what barrel length was offered on the Nettleton guns by USFA.  Original Colt guns, on the other hand, were 7 1/2.

Absolutely true.  I just inspected three of my Alfred E. Newman's.  One with a 3 5/16 barrel, one with a 4 7/8 and one with an 8 3/4".  Each was absolutely authentic.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 05:03:26 PM »
Good for you, Pettifogger!   apparently "Ol' Alfred E" really knew how to replicate a handgun!  ;D

Even though a reproduction SAA (be it USFA, Uberti, ASM, etc.), there is nothing wrong in wanting one that is a historically correct representation.

You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 01:35:58 AM »
Does anyone know if this is an all-USA made revolver?

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 12:45:17 AM »
 hatman I am no expert, having got my first USFA only a couple months ago. That said, I do believe the Nettleton I linked to at the top of the page is indeed a 100% American made USFA. I base this on the following:
1) The pamphlet in pic 2 with the picture of the Indian says right at the bottom "100% American made".
2) The ejector rod housing has a slot with a gradual taper. Uberti's had a sharp taper.
3) The cylinder flutes are wide and do not extend past the cylinder notches. Uberti's had narrower, more pointed flutes that the points went past the cylinder notches.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 03:26:41 PM »
1) The pamphlet in pic 2 with the picture of the Indian says right at the bottom "100% American made".

Ya, that was a joke from the very beginning at USPFA and USFA after them.  It was simply untrue until very late in their history.

Is this one USA made?  Yes.

Neddleton gun's serial numbers?

Serial numbers:
123093 is a early Uberti Neddleton with a USFA roll marked barrel built "under the blue dome".

HN 47169 Uberti gun
HN 47191 Uberti
HN 47238  Uberti

HN 47273 (5.5")
HN 47280  USA gun
HN 47346  USA
HN 47472  USA

HN 47238 is a Uberti

The hammer and front sight clearly show a USA made gun.  A US made 5 1/2" Nettleton is extremely rare and likely made up to match an original Colt with the same serial number.  I've only seen one other 5.5" USA made Inspector Series ...and I own it.   The price on this one is a lot less than what I paid for mine.

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline CJS57

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 08:17:59 PM »
I sold a USFA Neddleton with 5 1/2" barrel with all matching numbers and mint in the box back in 2010. Serial HN 47350 so that is one more for the list.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 08:48:20 PM »
Man, that is a pretty one!  Thanks for the info.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 11:38:54 PM »
CJS57 that's a beauty for sure. Did you buy it new? It looks American made to me but I'd like to see what the experts have to say.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 12:30:28 AM »
One of the higher numbered Nettleton's listed...clearly a USA made gun

HN 47239  (this is a 5.5" Neddleton the owner says is all USA made, compare to Uberti 47238 below)
HN 47241 USA gun
HN 47280  USA gun
HN 47346  USA
HN 47350
HN 47472  USA

https://pistolsmith.blogspot.com/

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 11:33:49 PM »
yahoody,

HN 47239 is my revolver and I am not the only one who says it is an all USA made firearm. The paperwork shows when the firearm was ordered and shipped and according to Gary Granger nothing but USA made Nettletons were ever shipped from what was then USFA's new 445-453 Ledyard Street address, plus it has all the ear marks of a USA made revolver, proper hammer, proper longer more gradual taper of the ejector housing slot, more rounded flutes on cylinder, and the small angled hole on the loading gate pivot instead of the larger more squared hole. For all I know it may be the first of the USA made 5 1/2" Nettletons.

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 11:45:47 PM »
Wasn't doubting you.  I also know the original owner.  But I do know the gun proceeding yours was a Uberti parts gun.  So my comments were made to note....the difference  between the two guns.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 12:12:38 AM »
OK, I apologize. it almost sounded to me as though there may have been doubt as to whether or not it is a USA revolver. I just misunderstood.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 12:44:53 PM »
Although I don't have a picture to up load right now (finally quit Photobucket) I have Nettleton #47241 and to the best of my knowledge of this business it is a USA parts gun. Hammer profile is correct, loading gate to frame fit is correct, front sight profile is correct, ejector slot is correct, cylinder flutes are correct, and finally the grip frame feels right (more like a Colt than the Italian versions).

Mine isn't pretty like most shown here. It was a used gun when I bought it for $1100 and I've put a number of rounds through it in load development and just shooting for fun. (smile)

Dave

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »
Dave T, You can upload photos from your computer. They don't have to be from a photo site such as Photobucket.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
Lou,

I didn't know that. Guess I'll have to learn how that's done. Given my low tech knowledge this should prove interesting! (LOL)

Davre

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com