Author Topic: Measuring bore/bullets: am I doing this right?  (Read 9485 times)

Offline mehavey

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Measuring bore/bullets: am I doing this right?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 04:47:33 PM »
Doug.38,

0.429" w/ Rem brass is just fine (actually recommended) in the Uberti.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »
Doug 38 -- nice !! .......my eyes not good enough to do stuff like that anymore - but on a good day - offhand - can still pull em good enough they know I was there ... I have a uberti 66 rifle in 44/40 (among others) we were shooting a CBE 225 grain (all we could get at the time with the crimp groove in the correct place) I always shot as cast unless there was an issue with chambering (or a wonky mold) and we shoot black almost exclusively in our blackpowder style guns. Do you get any splits with Rem brass? - not the necks, these are case body split - have had more than a few over time but not getting them with Winchester cases? Blackpowder loads and the uberti chamber looks ok to me. just curious...... 

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 10:36:09 PM »
' nother one for Coffinmaker
This is the 1860 Army (shoulda been scrap)
Same measures .464 ball - cylinder reamed to .463 - barrel 440 x 462  -  34 grains of homemade FF + lubesoaked eggcarton wad + lubesoaked saddle serge wad + ball ---- NO LUBE OVER THE BALL! .......have come to the conclusion that once we get a good fitting ball to barrel - then the lube over top is a hindrance to accurracy - I was seeing odd little spots of lube cookie on the target at 25 yards - first shot went high (clean oily barl) tothers strung across target aboot 3inch wide but vertical is pretty good - I reckon this gun and load could do 2 inch if the operator was able ... anyway thanks to Coffinmaker (despite the fact he thought I was mad) and Pettifogger - we now got two sixshooters that are good enough to do somethin with. 

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:33:36 AM »

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 04:35:25 PM »
Okay...reloaded and clocked for tge first time:

1) factory ammo (from ind. ammo maker called T's Guns & Ammo in Texas City):  200 gr. Bullet lead:  average 1230 ft per second

2). Handload:  200 gr hardcsst hunter bullet 7.5 gr of Unique: 1085 ft per second

3). Handload:  200 gr hardcast hunter bullett 8.0 gr of unique: 1181 ft per secomd

All bullets, including the factory i believe, were .427

Gun was a 20 inch Uberti winchester .44-40 1873 carbine.

Pretty impressive i thought.   That factory ammo was shocking.  It all felt shooting an AR and sounded like a .22.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »
Doug - the chrono can be fun .. I have managed to squash 40 grains of blackpowder into a 44/40 case and that got me 1355fps out of a uberti 66 rifle .. 39 gr = 1340 fps ...36.5 gr is our normal load and that goes 1288fps ... all those with 200grain cast .... 225 grain  cast dropped it to 1160fps ... wano PPP powder instead of Goex dropped to 1060fps --- if I just load up for fun I get aboot 30fps variation in a string of ten - If I get picky with the process I can get that down to about 15fps in the 44/40 - with a muzzle loader every dang thing you do makes a difference to velocity !

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »
25 grains of Cleanshot (don't make it anymore, a white can I've had for 16 years) FFFG 200 gr LHC (.427) = 1230 ft per second.    Pretty impressive I thought.   This gun is exceeding my expectations. 

I just bought a can of Pyrodex P FFFG Saturday.  Loaded a dozen rounds of 200 gr .427 with about 25 gr of powder behind it them.   Look forward to testing them this weekend.  Never used Pyrodex.   Heard it's easier to clean than Black Powder and harder to clean than other substitutes

I actually wouldn't mind trying to take down a deer with this as it's killed more deer than any other round except for the .30-30

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 12:25:53 AM »
25 grains of Cleanshot (don't make it anymore, a white can I've had for 16 years) FFFG 200 gr LHC (.427) = 1230 ft per second.    Pretty impressive I thought.   This gun is exceeding my expectations. 

I just bought a can of Pyrodex P FFFG Saturday.  Loaded a dozen rounds of 200 gr .427 with about 25 gr of powder behind it them.   Look forward to testing them this weekend.  Never used Pyrodex.   Heard it's easier to clean than Black Powder and harder to clean than other substitutes

I actually wouldn't mind trying to take down a deer with this as it's killed more deer than any other round except for the .30-30

Doug
Do a bit more research on the pyrodex vs black story - chemically its much more corrosive to steel than real powder - black is so easy to clean using plain water and a dash of dish soap - I wonder where the hard to clean story comes from - I got my first can of blackpowder in 1965 at age 17- been shooting black seriously for thirty years - cleanup is easy - so easy - I can clean a blackpowder cartridge gun quicker than the same gun after smokeless - the main difference is you cant put a blackpowder gun in the safe dirty! 

Offline mehavey

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »
>
> I wonder where the hard to clean story comes from....
>

It comes from people who have never ever shot black powder...
-- OR -- people who shoot BP once, put it away w/o cleaning...
...then and wonder where the rust came from next deer season.

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 11:07:49 AM »
Doug
Do a bit more research on the pyrodex vs black story - chemically its much more corrosive to steel than real powder - black is so easy to clean using plain water and a dash of dish soap - I wonder where the hard to clean story comes from - I got my first can of blackpowder in 1965 at age 17- been shooting black seriously for thirty years - cleanup is easy - so easy - I can clean a blackpowder cartridge gun quicker than the same gun after smokeless - the main difference is you cant put a blackpowder gun in the safe dirty! 

Yeah, actually not too hard to clean with the .44-40 rifle as the chamber seals good and all you really have to worry about is the chamber and bore and maybe a little residue that drips into the action on cleaning the gun.

But I shot my .45 Colt Vaquero this weekend in Pyrodex and I tried the usual Cleanshot/American Pioneer method of letting the gun, cylinder and brass sit in hot water and vinegar for a few minutes...the water started looking like I poured Coke into it with that Pyrodex.  And it didn't all come off either.   Had to get patches and bore rod and paper towels to thoroughly wipe everything down constantly.  And then I dried and soaked the gun as best I could with Breakfree oil.
The Brass I ran though the tumbler for about 6 hours.   The .44-40 brass from last week still had a black stain around the upper neck but a little hard work with steel wool removed that.   The just shot .45 Colt Brass was completely shiny.  The insides though weren't brassy looking, still a little black.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com