Author Topic: Screw Removal Question:  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Pinback

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Screw Removal Question:
« on: June 22, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
I'm going to attempt to replace the lever spring on my '76. Uberti Customer Service sent me a new replacement spring (no charge, no shipping fee) when I explained to them that the one installed in my new rifle was heavily rusted and pitted. Granted the nasty area was confined to the narrow side of the spring, visible when removing the left side plate. The new replacement spring is perfect and nicely blued, matching the opposing carrier spring. My question is: "Are the two holes on the underside of the receiver threaded or are they simply recessed to accept the screw heads?" I'm asking just in case I have to drill out the screw. I have two replacement hardened screws coming just in case I destroy it and I'd like to replace both of them. So far there is no damage to the screw head though it hasn't broken free. I soaked the screw from the inside and the outside with "Kroil" to no avail. Perhaps an impact wrench could help the situation. I haven't yet struck the screwdriver with a hammer to see if that would help. I have read about "prying" the spring sideways out of the receiver to perhaps relieve some pressure on the screw but I'm not sold on the idea. My inner "Bubba" wants me to use a Dremel cut off wheel from the inside and "Go to Town", but that's a horrible thought. I could just leave well enough alone and have an extra spring and two replacement screws on hand when the rusty spring breaks. I'm venting a bit of my frustration here. Thank you for your helpful responses in advance.
"The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."  Alexander Hamilton

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Screw Removal Question:
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:31:31 PM »
No, the frame is not threaded for those screws.  Before I got an impact wrench, giving the butt of the screwdriver a good whack with a hammer worked almost every time.  And prying the end of the spring out so it can drop down outside the frame does work well, but be careful that when it drops that the end doesn't make a scratch on the side of the frame.

Offline Pinback

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:40:01 PM »
I appreciate the information Abilene. I meant impact driver but you know what I was thinking. I'll give my hollow tipped screwdriver a good whack next time I attempt the job. Thanks again, Bruce
"The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."  Alexander Hamilton

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:59:56 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 09:09:47 PM »

Abilene covered most of the fix quite well.  However, when you re-install your going to find a problem.  the back end of the spring has not been radius'd to match the radius of the frame.  When the screw in tightened down, the spring "cocks" and binds the screw threads.  You won't actually be able to get the spring back down where it should be.

After the Lever Side Springs have been taken out, and the back of spring radius'd the OEM screws are just fine.  When over-stressed, hardened screws will snap off just as easy as OEM screws.

Coffinmaker

Offline Pinback

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 10:05:26 PM »
Thank you Coffinmaker. I'll contour the back edge of the spring to nest against the receiver, enabling a natural fit. I understand the binding effect on the screws, when cockeyed they can't align correctly. I'll get it right. 

Offline Pinback

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 11:25:29 AM »
Mission accomplished. I successfully removed the two screws with no damage The new spring was a drip in fit. The old one was modified at both ends, I'm fortunate the replacement spring needed no alteration. I performed a function test with live rounds and all is well. Thank you guys for your greatly appreciated assistance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com