Author Topic: Most historically accurate western movies?  (Read 10883 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Re: Most historically accurate western movies?
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 07:14:48 AM »
Hey Major, I had forgotten that movie!  I saw it when VCRs and videos had to be rented, just about the time I started college.   I agree, as a guy who has watched the Magnificent Seven and Silverado more times than I can count, I have seen it once.   Having read about the Sand Creek Massacre, it is probably a tame presentation, but disturbing none the less.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 08:38:08 AM »
And, you solidly approve that, because you were there - right?

Bill

Of course not. Have I given cause for offense or something? I imagine that a frontier boomtown would have been a shockingly crude place to those not used to it in its time, and I thought what the showmakers did was a good way to convey that to the audience.

Granted, I went into Deadwood knowing that it would be crude at best and offensive at worst. It's not a show that I want to watch all the time, but it's great when I have that particular itch. Just like how I prefer other Westerns like Open Range when I'm wanting more of a Heroic Western or something to that effect.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed Deadwood. It wasn't completely accurate from a historical aspect, but David Milch did put in tons of research on many aspects of the era. I am absolutely no Boy Scout, so violence, sex, and language don't bother me. But, it does offend some, which is why they put the warnings up before the show starts.

Not everybody likes vanilla, and that's ok. That is why they also make chocolate and strawberry :)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:23:03 PM »

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 03:25:18 PM »
To sum it all up.

Western movies and historically accurate. Do not belong in the same sentence.  ;D

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 06:21:35 PM »
Western movies and historically accurate. Do not belong in the same sentence.  Grin

Then again they get a lot closer to reality than most romances lol! :)

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 08:33:39 AM »
Appaloosa? Ed Harris not only gave a great performance, but wrote and directed. He was quite a stickler for detail.

Yes, this is a good one.  Try The Homesman as well.  I also thought the redone True Grit was good, especially the language. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 08:35:20 AM »
From what I've heard, they used the language to show offensive such a town would have been to folks of the period. Had they used the authentic language, everyone would have sounded like Yosemite Sam and the modern audience wouldn't have understood how shocking and offensive a frontier boom town like that was. Given that reasoning, I solidly approve.

Having said that, the show is certainly not for everyone, and I don't blame anyone who turns away from it for the language.

This, you cannot convey the feel of the frontier with authentic frontier language. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 09:05:15 AM »
Yes, this is a good one.  Try The Homesman as well.  I also thought the redone True Grit was good, especially the language. 

The Homesman was very good, and the Coen Brothers' True Grit is maybe my favorite film of all time. It was one of two things that got me interested in the Old West & Old West guns. And I agree, I thought they did a very good job with the little details throughout the whole move.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you folk, but I am a movie nut. By that, I mean that I am into the "behind the scenes" action, as much as what you see on the screen. When I get a DVD, I will watch it, then watch it again with the commentary on. Sometimes, the Director is so very dry, it is painful. Sometimes, they are very entertaining, and give you so much more depth. Deadwood had a few good commentary tracks, some not so much. The ones with Timothy Olyphant are hilarious! Ed Harris gives a decent commentary for Appaloosa, not so much entertaining, as revealing the entire process behind the film. That beautiful looking glass, was created by painting regular glass with varnish, if I remember right. I like the Coen Brothers, but don't own True Grit yet. Waiting for it to pop up on sale. The one thing I like as much as commentary, are dirt cheap DVDs :)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
For realistic dialogue, how about the remake of "True Grit"? Right out of Portis's book. Formal, stilted, almost a foreign language or spoken by a person whose first language was not English.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com