Author Topic: A question to the group from a newbie  (Read 8879 times)

Offline Kyjames

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 109909
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A question to the group from a newbie
« on: June 18, 2017, 10:18:01 AM »
If a feller had ~$550 to spend on a 5.5 inch Conversion or open top, which one would you buy.  I have a Navy Arms 7.5 38spl conversion but really like the looks and balance of the 5.5.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

James
"Without liberty, law loses its nature and its name, and becomes oppression. Without law, liberty also loses its nature and its name, and becomes licentiousness."

-- James Wilson (Of the Study of the Law in the United States, Circa 1790)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: A question to the group from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 11:32:54 AM »
I like both!  I have one 7.5" OT and one 4.75" OT.  Each has their virtues.  I use the 7.5" on the farther targets, and the 4.75" is quiker from holster to target.  Have one of each! ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 12:01:36 PM »
Do you like Army or Navy grips?  If Navy, your choices are '51 Richards-Mason (octagonal barrel & .38 only), or Opentop.  If Army, choices are '60 Richards-Mason or '60 Type II Richards.   Opentops with Army grips are only available in 7 1/2" barrel.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:51:23 AM »

Offline Kyjames

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 12:27:01 PM »
Thanks again for the info!  I should have been more specific but was typing in a hurry.  I was thinking about Army grips and 44.  Any suggestions on maker?
 I'm looking hard at Cimarron's 1860 Richards Transition Model® Type II .44 Colt, 5 1/2" Barrel.  Anyone got experience with it?

James
"Without liberty, law loses its nature and its name, and becomes oppression. Without law, liberty also loses its nature and its name, and becomes licentiousness."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 12:55:12 PM »
Thanks again for the info!  I should have been more specific but was typing in a hurry.  I was thinking about Army grips and 44.  Any suggestions on maker?
 I'm looking hard at Cimarron's 1860 Richards Transition Model® Type II .44 Colt, 5 1/2" Barrel.  Anyone got experience with it?
James

It is a Uberti ... regardless , Cimarron . Taylor's , Stoeger's  , Dixie Gun Works they are the importers

Mine's not a 5 1/2 " and it been customized a might ...but its my main match for 7 years now.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Kyjames

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 02:10:41 PM »
It is a Uberti ... regardless , Cimarron . Taylor's , Stoeger's  , Dixie Gun Works they are the importers

Mine's not a 5 1/2 " and it been customized a might ...but its my main match for 7 years now.

That, sir is a pretty looking gun!  If you don't mind my asking, what caliber is it and what customization did you have done?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 04:05:15 PM »
44 Colt ....
It was stripped,
polished and nickeled  ...
Grips are custom faux Ivory checkered. It had received an action job & arbor matched.
The above was carried out by the previous owner. .
The previous owner spared little expense.

I got it in 2009, it has been my main match since , and has preformed perfectly.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 08:54:56 PM »
That is a sweet weapon!!!!!!

I prefer the Navy grips, which are about the same size as SAA 1873s.  The Army grips are significantly longer.  If a shooter has larger hands, the Army grips are the way to go.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:46:16 AM »
Kyjames,

Since your current guns is a Navy Arms 38 Conversion, I suspect it is an Armi San Marco Richards conversion built on the equivalent of an 1861 frame and barrel assembly.  I think.

If that were the case and I wanted the guns to look sorta same same, I'd look long and hard at Cimarron's Type II Richards in 44 Colt.  I found the 7 1/2 inch type II to be front heavy and didn't like them.  I was going to cut the barrels but received an offer I couldn't refuse and sold them on.  Plus I quit shooting cartridge guns.  Oh well.  I think the 5 1/2 inch guns would be a lot of fun.

Coffinmaker

Offline Kyjames

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »
Thanks Gentlemen for the replies, but I got to fess up.  I went in the LGS on Monday to pick up the 1860 RM conversion in 45lc.   While looking it over, I looked at the case and there was this 5.5 El Patron there. The little guy in red on my shoulder said"come on, just try it".....   El Patron came home with me.  I strayed but I'm happy.

45 Dragoon

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 01:11:46 AM »
Kyjames,
  Nice revolver!  I have a 5 1/2" E.P. Comp. that is my carry. It was the first one  I'd seen with the lower, wider hammer spur and it came home with me as well! That was about 3 yrs ago. I bought a 45 acp cyl to add "versatility" to the S.D. aspect.
 Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 02:33:51 AM »
Im saving for a 1860 richards type 2 conversion. Cheaper than dirt has some for a few bucks cheaper. But for a run of the mill conversion id say the open tops

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
I am AGAST!!  FLUMOX'd if you will!!  Describing and Open Top as a "Run of The Mill" conversion???  Nay say I.  The "Open Top" was designed and manufactured from the ground up as a cartridge pistola.  Humpff and all that rot.!!

The 1860 Type II is a righteous conversion.  I felt mine were front heavy as I previously mentioned, but Really Nice guns.  I was flexing my Hacksaw ..... was planning to cut them at the Ejector Housing (5 inches).  Therefore, I think the Type IIs with 5 1/2 inch barrels may well be just about perfect.  Chambered in 44.  In my personal Opine, Conversions should never be chambered in .45.  It's just .. well .. wrong.  Even if the gun is built a smidgen larger to accommodate.

Coffinmaker

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 03:18:23 PM »
Coffin, I agree.  I think RMs and conversions should be .44!  Open Tops, though I like in.45 Schofield.  With a 200 grain bullet, they are ballistically identical to .44 Henry Flat, though the bullet in .452", instead of the Henry's .442" bullet.  Still closer than a .44 Colt's .429".
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Kyjames

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 05:54:13 PM »
Coffin maker and Tuolumne Lawman, thank you!  After figuring out that I was not the cause of the "FLUMOX'd"ing, that gave me a good laugh!   I needed that today!   
 ;D

James

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 09:00:49 PM »
KOOL KY.

Glad I could give you a little lift.  As your pile of pistols grows, I'd like to plant a seed.  The Uberti built Open Top is THE most versatile pistol on the PLANET!!  ALL the different Calibers/Cartridges the Open Top is offered, are on the EXACT same action.  Which means, after the Barrel/Arbor fit has been fix'd (AT THE ARBOR), it's a simple matter to purchase Cylinder/Barrel sets in different calibers.  Start with a 38, add 44 and 45.  Start with a 45, add 38 & 44.  Start with a 44 and add 45 and 38.  ALL on the same frame.  Care must be taken however, to match cylinder with correct barrel when swapping them around.  Versatile in the extreme.

Coffinmaker

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 12:09:11 AM »
Coffinmaker, of course you know you can do exactly the same caliber swapping with the SAA.  All ya gotta do is carry a barrel vice and action wrench around with ya.   :D

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 03:41:38 AM »
Would be nice too have a 44wcf cylinder with the 44spl gun

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 04:10:45 PM »
Would be nice too have a 44wcf cylinder with the 44spl gun
[/quote

Will not work, case rims are wider than 45 Colt. Maybe a 5 hole shooter, but not six.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 04:29:08 PM »
Actually, the rims will fit, barely.  There is a guy (Springfield Slim?) who has reamed out his .44 Spcl cylinder Opentop to shoot 44-40.  If I recall, he mentioned that the shoulder isn't in exactly the right place, but seems to work for him.  He is the only one I have heard of who has done it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com