Author Topic: Liking My Uberti Carbine!  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Liking My Uberti Carbine!
« on: June 17, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »
I don't really have much to report here, but I have to tell folks who might appreciate it, I am liking my Uberti NWMP carbine!

I chose the NWMP version from Cimarron primarily because I wanted a carbine with a blued receiver.  I chose .45-75 WCF for the historical accuracy and because it seemed more interesting to load for.  I had Accurate Molds make me a bullet mold that I really like and I've come up with a smokeless load that is working well.  I've done a little smoothing on the gun, but it was really not at all bad when I got it.  It cycles so smoothly and feeds so easily that at first I would look down to make sure that it picked up a round, but there was always one in the chamber.  I ended up putting a Marble's tang sight on the gun, which is kind of... unsightly  ;), but it sure works well for hitting what I'm aiming at.  I had it out today and shot up all of the ammo I had loaded.  I just didn't want to stop, it was that nice.

Anyway, I figured that y'all might appreciate hearing about it more than anyone I know around here.  Thanks.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Liking My Uberti Carbine!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 12:03:22 AM »
 ;D
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »
Yep ! make's me want to go shooting CCG . ,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:34:30 PM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
I also have a NWMP carbine in .45-60. They are a good looking rifle, it's hard to think of a rifle this large as a src. Those mounties must have been huuge fellows. It had headspace problems which turned out to be a too long rt toggle. A little bit of adjustment with a needle file and belt sander it chambers fine. My question is how did you smooth the action of your rifle out. Mine is very hitchy and hard to cycle. It's accurate and is easy to reload for though.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 03:40:12 PM »
Ed:

That's not a bad group from your carbine.  Is that a Chaparral (I can't see much of it, but the rear sight suggests it)?

As far as smoothing, like I said, my Uberti didn't need as much as I anticipated.  I'm not much of a gunsmith, but I smoothed some of the inner parts, like where the lever and lifter springs ride.  I also noticed that the bolt was rubbing pretty hard on the opening in the frame where it passes through.  I sanded the opening with fine sandpaper on a dowel until it didn't rub so much, which helped a lot.  The main thing that I did to reduce the "hitch" in the cycling had to do with the lifter arm. I noticed that the rounded part which rides inside the lifter had a knuckle on it.  It seemed that as it raised the lifter, there was a hitch when it got to the knuckle.  I filed the end of the arm to a more rounded profile, which helped a lot.  I haven't thinned any of the springs, but I did back out the screws for the lever and carrier springs until they didn't require as much force to operate.  I keep thinking that I'm going to file those springs down a bit, but so far things are working just fine.

There is more that could be done by someone with more knowledge and ability, but those slight improvements have worked for me.

Thanks, fellas, I figured that you'd appreciate hearing from someone who is pleased with his old fashioned gun.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 04:42:30 PM »
Thanks, Yes it is a Chaparral. When I get a few of my other projects knocked out I'll see if I can slick it up some. Thanks for the ideas about how to unhitch it.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com