Author Topic: Lead Bullets  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lead Bullets
« on: November 25, 2005, 05:33:01 PM »
Howdy!

I'm posting this here because it's for a Military rifle and I'd like to shoot it perhaps at the GAF Muster or Postal Match.

I have an 1888 Commission Rifle (IMproperly, but commonly known as the 1888 Mauser) that easily falls within the time period of NCOWS and GAF.  Does anyone know of a source of lead bullets for the 8mm (7.92x57, 0.323" variety, ANY weight) caliber?

I KNOW that there are moulds available.  I also know that due to financial constraints, getting started in casting is NOT an option at this time for me:  perhaps later, but I don't know when, if at all.

Thanks!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Lead Bullets
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 06:35:35 PM »
I find that at www.midwayusa.com  a Lee mold is $15, with a production melt pot another $43.  Not all that much.  The lube and size kit is $12, it also seats gas checks.  That's all you need.  Works great in my Krag, and that Liquid Alox is the best stuff there is in a smokeless rifle.  Good charge of XMP-5744  www.accuratepowder.com  and you've got your load.

Not that much, and you probably will have to go that route.  Neither Midway nor Graf & Sons list any.  Probably be cheaper to cast your own.  Especialy as the M1888 has a larger bore than the later mausers, if I recall correctly.

http://www.bonusbullets.com/rifle.htm   $13 per 100

http://www.hunters-supply.com/hunting.htm  also $13 per 100. 

you can use .32-40 bullets, same price, no gas checks.  One nice thing about the 1888.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 05:40:51 AM »
Thanks, Sgt Drydock.

Even that is more than I can spend now.

The 1888s came out originally with .319" (J) bores.  Later, some like mine (a Turkish export model), were redone with the bigger .323" grooves.  A letter "S" (for spitzer which means pointed in Ger-merman) was then stamped on the top of the breech ring.  Unlike the Mauser 98 series which are known for their tremendous strength, the 88s are fragile in comparison due to the fact that it only has locking lugs on the front of the bolt and not front AND rear like the 98s (which I believe ALL have "S" bores).  However, IF you have an "S" bore gun, it is probably safe to fire with factory ammo, but be sure to have a gunsmith check it out, first.  I've also safely fired full power German Military rounds thru it (about 300) but I'm takin' it easy on the old gal nowadays, and only shoot light loads that an ammo tech from Sierra bullets told me about.  (21 -25 gr IMR 4198, 125 - 150 gr. bullet for cheap shooting/plinking - standard disclaimers of "use at your own discretion" apply.)  It's been a fun gun for me for the last 25 yrs. or more - and I still have the receipt which shows the $27.88 price I paid!  I don't think it had ever been fired; I had to clean the German version of Cosmolene out/off of it!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:26:05 PM »

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 10:56:07 AM »
Steel Horse,

Laser Cast, Oregon Trail Bullet Co., has two 170 grain, 0.322" diameter lead bullets available.  They are sized, lubed and ready to load.  These are intended, I believe, for the 32 Special or 32-40 but at 0.322" should work in a 0.323" bore; not ideal, but they should work.  If I run across any other suppliers, I'll let you know.

HHW

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 11:19:19 AM »
Mr Steel Horse Bailey sir,
Since you're posting this in the Barracks the only proper merchant for you to purchase those bullets from would be Meister Bullets http://www.meisterbullets.com/ who have been extremely generous in sponsoring the GAF Muster the past two years. The bullet you want is:

32/40 170GR .323 RNFP     
Product Code: RB-32-40   
Caliber: .32-40 RNFP Weight: 170 GR Diameter:(.323)   
$28.26/500   $8.76/100

It wouldn't hurt to tell them you learned about them from the Muster 
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 02:54:28 PM »
Thanks, Hell-er-High-Water and Lone Gunman! 

HHW, those Laser Cast bullets are probably just fine for my needs.  I once bought 1000 of their bullets for 45 Colt.  They worked jes' fine.

LG, they are bigger (heavier) than I had hoped for, but probably the only ones to get.  I've used LOTS of Meister bullets before and am happy with them.  And I WILL tell them where I heard about these boolets when I find enough seat-cushion change to get some!  (The shipping is what drives the price up-up-& away!)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 02:58:38 PM »
If you need load data, give me a hollor, I think I have some.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com