Author Topic: The wedge, thoughts?  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The wedge, thoughts?
« on: June 14, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
I`ve always wondered what the original designed use of the wedge was, as noted there is a spring on the wedge with a foot on the end of it and a screw above the spring in the frame.
Could someone explain how it was intended to work, what is the function of the screw and the ledge on the end of the spring.
Please pardon my stupid question.
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: The wedge, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:47:08 PM »
When it was working properly the spring, ledge and screw were supposed to keep the wedge from being lost.  A "wedge" is wedge shaped so if it got bumped in a holster or loosened during firing and fell out the gun was rendered useless.

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
When it was working properly the spring, ledge and screw were supposed to keep the wedge from being lost.  A "wedge" is wedge shaped so if it got bumped in a holster or loosened during firing and fell out the gun was rendered useless.

Thanks for the explanation, after I posted my question I got to looking and see that your right, even when pulling the wedge for breakdown the screw will catch the spring keeping it from coming all the way out or sort of if ya don`t pull to hard.
Over the years I`ve heard different thoughts like the screw is adjusted out to keep the wedge from going in to far too the screw was backed out to remove the wedge.
I`m afraid if the wedge backed out far enough to catch the foot on the spring the poor guy would loose more than the wedge, possibly the whole barrel.
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:15:13 PM »

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
But a barrel is easier to find in the grass than a wedge  :)

You may be thinking of the opentops and conversions.  On those, the wedge does not have the spring, and it cannot be inserted or removed from the gun unless the screw is turned so that the flat side of the screw head is downward.

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 06:03:08 AM »
You may be thinking of the opentops and conversions.  On those, the wedge does not have the spring, and it cannot be inserted or removed from the gun unless the screw is turned so that the flat side of the screw head is downward.

Huh ?

I was just kidding about the barrel falling off though I imagine it could happen.
You have pictures of this wedge your talking about, all the open tops I`ve ever had over the last 40 years had the spring.
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »
Here are two parts Schematic's  to illustrate

I think you may be generalizing the term Open Top .... Where Colt's design was open topped 

The 1871 & 1872 evolvement of the 1860 ...Richards Type 1 & 2 and the Richards & Mason  evolved to what was called the 1872 Open Top just prior to the new 73 Colt Army.

Richards type 1 & 2 Richards & Mason & the 72 Open Top all had the spring less screw retained wedge.

The 1872 Open Top is where the name evolved...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 07:26:00 AM »
Thanks Major 2, yep I`ve only had the black powder versions of these guns, never had a model like in the first picture.
Learn something new every day.  :)
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
Impressed with my wedge, it used to back out from shooting but now I have filed it for the perfect fit.
It never loosens but yet I can remove it by hand and don`t tap it in either, cool beans.  :)
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »
A while back, there was photograph making the rounds of an 1860 that lost it's wedge and when fired, launched the barrel down range.  there was lots of smoke in the picture and the barrel was about 2 feet out from the front of the frame/cylinder. 

Coffinmaker

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 06:25:33 AM »
I forgot which thread I read it on here but someone was talking about if ya file and smooth the wedge, and get a good fit you can remove it by hand and it stays put.
That`s what I did and it seems to be working.  :)

Edit.
Read it in this thread .
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,58983.0.html
USAF 72-76
DAV member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com