Author Topic: Heads Up  (Read 6731 times)

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Heads Up
« on: June 11, 2017, 10:46:30 PM »
There's an 1873 Winchester on the Colt Forum.  I won't have access to my computer for another week, and the pics don't show up on my phone well enough for me to tell if it has been refinished.  It is in 32-20, but he only wants $1,300 for it.  I'm tempted.  Someone please either advise me or buy it yourself so I'll quit thinking about it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Heads Up
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »
Well POO there OD.

I can't access the pix cause I'm not a member of the Colt forum and it was giving me fits trying to register.  So I quit.  No help are I.

Coffinmaker

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 02:39:54 PM »
Well, thanks for trying anyway.  I suspect that it must be refinished, 'cause it should have been snapped up by now for that price.  I noticed that it had a full-length octagonal barrel and a blued receiver.  Both looked a little purple on the pics I could see, but the flats were very sharp on the barrel, and the lines looked pretty good on the receiver--from what I could tell.  I just don't know.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:17:17 AM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 11:19:03 PM »
I was able to register but they do not allow viewing for sell till you have 15 posts. Looks like an excellent forum though.

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 08:11:28 PM »
Thanks all.  It dropped to $1,150, so I figured it was worth it to me, refinished or not.  I won't have it for about two weeks, but I'll be sure and share--good and bad--when it comes.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:13:57 PM »
Well, I for one am anxious to hear about it.  Nice find!

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »
Those of you who were unable to view that ad should be very much relieved that you didn't.  Though I suspected that there was some old refinish in some of the photos, others looked like original finish.  And the barrel flats were very sharp, so I was leaning towards poor photography.  I took a chance, and it arrived today.  Very poor decision on my part.  This rifle is worn slap out, the barrel is a sewer pipe, and it is definitely a refinish.  Though I cannot determine how it was refinished.  There are rainbow colors in there, but not like color casehardening.  It looks more like the colors one gets when he views a drop of oil on water.  The colors change depending upon the angle it is viewed, if that makes any sense.  Most of the screws were "thumbnail" tight, and the sideplate screw was already buggered a bit, so I did pull the sideplate off.  The toggles are a sloppy fit as well, so I suspect someone put some of those high-velocity loads meant for the '92 through it at some point in its life.  So I have an $1,150 wall-hanger unless the seller wants it back, and that is doubtful.  Live and learn....

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »
OD, nuthin' a reliner fer the barrel and a new set of links won't help. Course it depends on how much more you want to put into for a 'shooter'.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 06:47:34 PM »
 E-BAY,,, for part's.

Hootmix.

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 09:41:51 PM »
Here's a little bit of a silver lining.  I expressed my disappointment with the guy who'd brokered the sale, and he has successfully negotiated a partial refund with the seller.  Either of them could have just taken a "caveat emptor" attitude, and I'd have had no recourse.  But the broker knew that I'd only trusted the poor photos and description because of his excellent reputation on the forum, and he took an active interest in making sure that this transaction was ultimately satisfactory.  So I now will have a few hundred bucks to invest in getting this thing in shootable condition.  Ultimately, I wish I'd never bought it, but I'm feeling a lot better about it now.  Total investment is still probably higher than what it is worth, but I'm a lot happier now, and the broker has earned my respect in a big way.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 03:30:39 PM »
Well POOP OD,

I can only share a bit of a commiserate.  After I retired as an active Gunplumber and burned my shingle, I have been taking the occasional job for a couple of my valued (they paid their bills) customers.  Several times I have heard "looky the Smokeun Deal I just got."  the next words are "can you fix it??"  Then, to ice the cake, I get a gun inna BAG!!  Once in a while the "bag" actually has all the parts.  Then, I make sure I remove ALL the screws and shake it lustaly over the TRASH CAN and start from scratch.

Here is the unfortunate part.  Normally, I'm dumb enough to quote my old "Flat Rate" from six years ago when I accept the job.  That usually covers about half the actual cost to rebuild the gun. 

I keep tellin um, "quit buying guns off auction sites."  Start from NEW.  Much more Harmonious outcome.  Af course, you can't exactly do that with an Original 1873.  Now your gonna be stuck re-liing the barrel, sourcing some new (used) links, probably some new (used) springs and assorted other bits and pieces.  Oh, and all new (used) screws.  Wood Stripper, Satin Spar Varnish, those fun things.

Now comes the Opportunity.  Pick a caliber when you re-line.  Put the Knew-Two-Ewe Springs aside and re-work the the springs that are in it for a lighter baster action.  Polish up all the Knew-Two-Ewe replacement parts for smoooooth.  Folks I've worked for have been amazed at just how fast an original '73 or Reproduction can be with just a quality action job.

Really sorry you took it inna shorts on this one.  Hard to make lemonade when the lemons are old and dried out  :'(

Coffinmaker

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »
I'm not sure how much work I'm gonna put into this.  The barrel needs relining for sure, so a caliber change would be nice.  But the .32-20 case head is so much smaller than the others, that I'd have to replace the magazine, elevator, and bolt as well, and that ain't happening.  So it will have to stay a .32-20.   Bare minimum I'll need is a barrel reline, and a new lifter spring, and most likely new links.  The nub on the original lifter spring is worn down so much that it no longer holds the elevator up high enough.  I'm assuming that the links are worn out, because the knee joint feels loose.  But I've never messed with original Winchester links before.  By loose, I mean that if I pull on each end, the center joint develops a significant gap.  My Ubertis and Mirokus don't do that, but their links are made differently.  So I'd appreciate any expertise on how the original links are supposed to behave at the knee joint. 

One tiny upside to this acquisition, is that I've been able to see how the original springs were shaped.  Boy, Uberti REALLY beefs their springs up!  The flat springs in the original are gracefully tapered.  And it is gratifying to see that the shape of the mainspring is very close to how my mainsprings end up after I finish grinding them.

I'll start a new thread whenever I start fixing this rifle up.  Don't expect anything close to a restoration though; my goal will just be to make this a shooter again. 

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »
FWIW, you can get new manufactured parts for original Winchesters (including 1873's) from Homestead Parts (www.homesteadparts.com). 

I just took a look at their website, and it appears they have any part needed except the receiver - for all calibers.  You shouldn't have any problem getting what you need to get her working.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 12:58:50 AM »
Yeah, I was checking them out just the other day.  I wanted to order some parts then, but my gun fund remains depleted until the seller's refund check gets here. 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 03:14:02 AM »
Most,  if not all of us can relate ....  :)

might have been a gun or a bike perhaps a car....  :-\

philosophically is the way to approach it , look at it as quest if you will....

Money is fleeting, more can be made.... Original 1873' s are not , unless you do it.   ( insert, 68 Charger or 67 Mustang GT,  maybe an old Jeep here if you like )  ( old Jeep CJ8 ... my Waterloo  ::) but then the journey and  8) )

Ok so maybe it wasn't your best moment when it came home.... but the Journey, the fine Video of same  I'm sure you are capable of producing.  ;) , that will shine .

KOOL never goes out of style.... and KOOL is what you will have .... I look forward to the video documentation.
I'll gladly "Sticky" your quest  :D

Course , you could offer an abridged video to post (preview if you will)  , and then offer a complete DVD step by step "How To "   "This Old Gun "

I'd buy that ! ...bet I'm not alone  ;)  
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
Oh well fudge and Poop and all that. 

I completely missed the part about the rifle being a 32-20.  Oh sure says I, Make it a 38-40 or some such.  Silly Me.

Please feel free to completely ignore any comments I made about caliber change.  With the barrel reline in 32-20 it's going to be really fun rifle to play with though.

Coffinmaker

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »
Nutin wrong with a 32. I'd go with it. I love the 32-20 but thats the one caliber I don't have in original 73's.

Hell we've all been there with a purchase we wish we had passed on but make a fun shooter out of it and get your money's worth in fun.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »
I'll add + on 32/20   Saw one at Melbourne Gun Show back in January ... It was a refinish, bore look like they scrubbed it
Bon Ami Powder Cleanser...white powder residue & rough as a cob  ???
$1250....

He pulled out another... to tempt me ....Original finish ...worn bore
$1550 was beyond my bag of clams ....but I was sure eyeballing the portable ATM  in the front hall  ::)

Both were tie wrapped closed so I could not cycle.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 05:57:12 PM »
I've gotten to love the 32-20.  I've got revolvers and a couple of rifles chambered for it now.  It's the black powder shooters "gamer" cartridge.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com