Author Topic: Bob Munden tuned Colt SAA ?  (Read 23351 times)

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bob Munden tuned Colt SAA ?
« on: June 11, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »
I have a third gen Colt in 44 SP. I bought new in the early 80`s, it`s still like new but I have shot about a box of shells through it.
I had it tuned by Mr Munden years ago, my question is since MR. Munden has passed away does it add value to the gun, I have the receipt for the work done.
Thanks
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Bob Munden tuned Colt SAA ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:24:25 PM »
It is very doubtful that a Munden (or any other) will add to the value of on an SAA.  In fact there is a considerable body of opinion that Munden's work may have the opposite effect on value.  If the gun runs to your liking value it for what it is and don't sweat the rest.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 10:33:33 PM »
+1.  Some liked Munden's action jobs some did not.  On a Colt SAA any action work detracts from the value for most purchasers.  If you find a cowboy shooter that knows the smith that did the work that person may be willling to pay a litlle extra for the action job.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:11:20 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 10:55:12 PM »
The only one interested will be an aficionado of his work and thinks there'll be a form of 'mystique' attached.

Far, far too many SAAs had to be rebuilt after one of his so-called 'action jobs' for a Colt collector to have any interest.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 05:47:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies, interesting, I thought there would be more interest in his work but I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I`m not planning on selling it anyway was just curious, its a nice gun but I need to get it out and shoot it more.
Thanks again.  :)

On a side note IMO his work was outstanding, it`s the smoothest action I`ve ever had here`s a picture of said gun.

USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »
PLUS ONE to Pettifogger.

PLUS ONE to St. George.

Most Colt collectors want guns in "Original" condition.  Preferably unfired.  Fortunately, I'm not a collector nor even a fan of Colt, so none of that matters.  I've worked on many Colt SAs that weren't quite right from the factory.  Seems like the "Collectors" don't really care if the gun works OK.  Or even works at all.  If it's a Colt, it must be Swell.

Coffinmaker

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 11:04:10 AM »
I have an old cas video showing Mr Munden shooting a stage in which he missed a pistol target. In his over the top anger he slammed the mty revolver down on a hay bale prop before holstering the gun. If I had been the RO I would have given him a Spirit of tha Game penalty for the outburst and a safety penalty. After seeing that I never much cared for him.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
Geeez guys if I knew there was such a bad taste for the man I wouldn`t of posted about it but my experience with him was great and it would take about five minutes to put original springs in it.
It`s a nice gun and I love it and have no plans on selling it.  :)
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »
Aw Heck Pitchy,

Don't take it personal like.  We aren't annoyed with at all.  You asked a very good question and we probably should have stuck to just answering your question instead of "T-ing" off on Bob Munden.

I tried to stay away from personal views.  I personally knew Bob Munden and knew him as a Loud Mouth Profane Bully.  At several matches he was told to either clean up his potty mouth or take a hike.  None of which has anything to do with your question.  I think Pettifogger put it best. 

Regardless of manufacturer.  Any Manufacturer.  An action job is money spent and will never be recovered.  I have never seen a "used" gun gain much in value for action work.  It's still "just" a used gun.  You will probably do somewhat better on the price for Used Colt than you would for a Used Uberti.  It's like re-modeling your back porch.  Makes it nice while you have it, but adds no real value to your Realestate.

Coffinmaker

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 05:34:32 PM »
Thanks Coffinmaker, naw I didn`t take it personnel, I can only go by my experience with him.
Doesn`t matter anyway it`s a beautiful gun and I`ll probably pass it on to the kid and in the mean time get it out and shoot it more.
I`ve been suffering from health issues for quite a while so haven`t been shootin much of anything.
Thanks everyone for they're opinions appreciated.  :)
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
Pitchy,

I probably should not post this here because for -- 1. I do not own a real Colt SAA even though I would like too and 2. This is a suggestion that will redirect you to the 'Colt Forum' (I will not add the link here just direction).

This same topic of Bob Munden conversion was discussed at length over on the Colt Forun under the 'Colt revolver' 'Single action army' subsections.  If you go there, go to page 20 (as of today) of the posting and look for a post titled 'Bob Munden 'Six Gun Magic' questions'.  There are 5 pages of postings with 'Colt peoples' feelings about his conversions of the standard design.

This will only give you some of other peoples opinions.

Hope this helps you a little more.
Black River Smith

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 12:18:11 AM »
Quote from: Pitchy
...it would take about five minutes to put original springs in it.

If only that were so.  Typically Bob would cut down the firing pin to get his light action jobs to fire a primer and he would trim the bolt, hammer cam and main spring so they would need to be repaired or much more likely simply replaced.  Most folks who actually did shoot a Munden trigger job much ended up replacing everything Bob "tuned".   I knew Bob well myself and shot with him.  Didn't know much about the SAA when I sent him a NIB Colt.  I learned quickly while paying that bill the second time around.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 05:58:42 AM »
Thanks again for the info, I have no interest in reading  about peoples dissatisfied dealings with Mr Mundens work I`m happy with mine and that`s what matters.
I`m sure some would love to have a gun tuned by him and some wouldn`t that`s the way it works in the world, some people like me and some don`t .
Thanks again.  :)
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline buttebob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 08:31:15 AM »
I had him do an action job for me on an EMF Hartford that shot about 8" to the right at 25 yards. When I got it back the POI was POA and it had the smoothest single action I've ever shot. I dropped it off at his house in the morning and picked it up in time to take it to the range that day.
I knew him and spoke to him at least once a month for several years and have been to his house. I never heard him utter a single curse word in that time.
I have seen videos of him participating at an End of Trail match when he was upset about his performance.
 Maybe he was on his best behavior around me?

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 10:44:44 AM »
This popped up on another forum this morning.  Thought it added to the conversation.  Noted that Jim Martin who literally helped write the SAA book practices thumb cocking and holds or has held most of the world fast draw records doing so.  Never heard a compaint or a gun devalued from a Martin action job.     

1961MJS

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 03:32:03 PM »
Hi

I shoot Bullseye pistol more than SASS, and a good 1911 job is worth a few extra dollars when I buy one.  I DO get why Colt COLLECTORS don't want a Munden action job.  They're collecting COLTS and he didn't work there.  I don't see why SASS shooters would get upset about an action job, even if the guy who did it was a complete twit.  My old gunsmith was not "universally beloved", but no one complained about his 1911 trigger jobs.

Later Y'all

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 05:36:25 PM »
Loaded up some rounds today using a lead 200 grainers over 6.5 grains of Unique, going to shoot off a rest tomorrow and see how they work out.
The fine rear sight on these Colts is a total blur to my ageing eyes but we`ll see what we can do.  ;)
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »
Did some shooting today, not very good groups for sure but I blame it on the fine rear sight and my bad eyes and not the gun.

The Colt SAA on the right  :roll:
USAF 72-76
DAV member

45 Dragoon

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 11:43:02 PM »
Yahoody, thanks for posting about Jim Martin! I'm doing what I do today because of Jim!  Very easy to talk to and an excellent teacher/mentor. I have the utmost respect for that man.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 12:13:41 AM »
Agreed Mike.  Jim Martin is a national treasure as far as I am concerned :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com