Author Topic: Hi all, newbie 1860 question?  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Beachallo Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi all, newbie 1860 question?
« on: June 11, 2017, 01:05:07 PM »
Hi everyone
Since this is my first post I better give some background! I am an Australian Ex-pat who has had the pleasure of being a green carded tax paying permanent resident of the fine state of Texas for more than 12 years. It has been a time I will always treasure and I have many friends here that will remain friends for life.
Needless to say, after being a licensed shooter in the firearms repressive state of Western Australia since 1976 living in TX was like being a kid in a candy shop and I fully indulged myself of the opportunities to own every gun that I had never been allowed to own previously; don't you guy's EVER let any rights slip because you will never get them back!
However, I am going back to OZ at some point and want to take a special momento with me when I can eventually get through the anticipated mountain of restrictive importation bureaucracy and paperwork.
I am thinking of an 1860 and probably an original Henry for the stronger metallurgy in the brass frame. The intended use will be to shoot SSAA (Sporting Shooters of Australia Association) lever action classic events, something I used to do a LONG time ago and it was fun indeed!
My first question relates to the protruding magazine follower or tab- if only five rounds are loaded in the magazine is it possible to get a decent hold (not too far out front) with the left hand on the magazine and still be on the far side of the tab- so that no hand change will be required as the five shots are taken?
Second- how would you rate the ladder and blade sights on the 1860 in relation to more recent standard lever action open sights?
Third- does the magazine and barrel heat up much if only firing 5 rounds (factory loads of 44/40) at a time, with maybe a few minutes before the next round?
Thanks in advance for any advice offered and I love your forum!
CMV

Offline dromia

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Hi all, newbie 1860 question?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 07:46:46 AM »
I use a wooden dowel follower in my Uberti replica, it has a hole drilled through about an inch from one end and but of wire epoxied through to act as a stop that way the follower just comes to my hand on the forend with my last shot. My follower allows ten rounds in the magazine but you would just adjust length to suit the number of rounds you require.

My replica sights are just fine.

Shouldn't heat up too much with five shots, I can rattle off my ten smokeless or black without any discomfort.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
Hokey Dokey ........

YES.  Dromia posted part of the answer.  Several lustrum ago, I developed "Stick, Mark 1, A1.  Stick is made up of two cut down 45 Schofield cases.  Epoxied on each end of an appropriate length dowel.  Then drilled through for a brass wood screw, epoxied in place and cut to act as a "stop" to prevent the stick from entering and naming the action.  You can cut several dowels to whatever length you need.  The cartridge cases on the ends insure the dowel will run free in the Mag Tube.

I like the Uberti copy of the original Henry Ladder Sight.  However, I have opened my real sight up a bit to give more of a sight picture.  You will also find the "graduations" marked on the Uberti reproduction don't actually pertain to any specific range/load.  They just look good.  I actually prefer a "flat" sight to a Buckhorn or similar.

The Henry barrel and magazine are going to get warm.  A full magazine of smokeless ... real warm.  5 rounds, not so much.  Now, a full magazine of BP and the barrel will get dam'd HOT.  Take a glove with ya.

As an addendum.  IF you can find an original Henry for sale, take your broker.  Your going to need a lot of money.  Once you get your original Henry, you don't get to shoot it.  There is NO ammunition available.  Well, there is ammunition available.  Collectors have all of it.  A box will cost somewhere around a Grand.  There isn't enough difference in strength between current reproductions and an original Henry to spit at.  Current Henry frames are proofed for current SAMMI spec 45 Colt and 44-40.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:59:58 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 12:50:55 PM »
...As an addendum.  IF you can find an original Henry for sale, take your broker. ..

I sorta think the OP was talking about an HRA rifle since they call it the "original henry".

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 07:55:53 PM »
Anyone who doesn't think that a Henry barrel gets more than warm after a string of 10 rapid fire BP loads has a high pain threshold.

Shouldn't heat up too much with five shots, I can rattle off my ten smokeless or black without any discomfort.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blackjack Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • BADGES!!!!! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES
    • Open Top Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 10:45:18 PM »
Anyone who doesn't think that a Henry barrel gets more than warm after a string of 10 rapid fire BP loads has a high pain threshold.

While drinking barley pops at the NCOWS Nationals, me and my pard Wild Bill were having that exact conversation around the campfire. He ran his "new" 1860 Henry through all the stages and didn't feel one ounce of discomfort.
Blackjack Charlie
NCOWS Secretary
Senator
NCOWS #3785 Pistoleer
STORM 433
2017 Inaugural SMVS The Quick and The Dead  Shootout Winner
Webmaster and Deputy Marshal Johnson County Rangers
http://www.jcrangers.org/

A proud member of Open Top Productions
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1giK15YACmSiF93l-kiS3Q
Please subscribe to our YouTube channel

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 05:50:13 PM »
It has been my experience over the last 10 - 15 years, running 10 straight rounds through a Henry with BP will normally make the Barrel/Magazine to hot to hold bare handed.  Smokeless, not Quite so bad.  I'm talking about full cases.

On the other hand, when shooting Cowboy 45 Special cases, and APP, not much of a problem.  I would also think, were I to load Schofield cases with the same load I shoot in C45S and filler, would also be .... Not So Bad.  In a week or two, I'll be able to report back on that.

Coffinmaker

PS:  I have also be led astray (believe) the new manufacture 1860 Henry from Henry Repeating Arms also has a solid BRASS receiver.  NOT gunmetal (Bronze).  Don't quote me.  Don't know anyone who has tested one.

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
The follower has never been a problem for me when hunting, and the brass front sight works well at dusk and in low light conditions. I've never shot a match with it though. Good luck

Offline Beachallo Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 06:11:00 AM »
Thank you for the informative responses and I apologize for not getting back earlier, work and stuff has been a bit hectic!
I am in Florida this week and noticed that the local CAS club (Gold Coast Gunslingers) have a match on this morning so I am going to wander over there and check it out, hopefully they will have a few 1873/1866/1860's there and regardless it sounds like a fun way to spend Sunday morning.
Cheers and thanks again

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com