Author Topic: Commercial bullets with BP lube?  (Read 5080 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Commercial bullets with BP lube?
« on: June 03, 2017, 01:25:03 PM »
Despite having cast thousands of bullets I really dislike the task. I find most of the commercial bullet manufactures do not sell BP lubed bullets and I would like to acquire some. I shoot mostly 25-20 thru 44-40 and 45LC with some .50 cal Spencer Thrown in for some great fun. Any forum members know of commercial bullet vendors with BP lubed bullets?

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Commercial bullets with BP lube?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 02:36:31 PM »
You can try Bug lube bullets from:  http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/

Then there's Chey-cast: http://www.cheycastbullets.com/

And Desperado Cowboy bullets:  http://cowboybullets.com/

Those are companies I have dealt with.  Others will chime in with their picks

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 03:47:56 PM »
While Desperado says that their blue waxy lube (stickier than regular smokeless crayon lube) is BP compatible, maybe that means that it doesn't turn to tar?  But I have found that I get way less fouling in the barrel by melting out their lube and relubing with my homemade.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:24:41 PM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »
Cheycast and Montana Bullet Works
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »
Keep in mind that it is not just a question of the type of lube, it is also a question of the quantity of the lube.  Modern bullets have shallow, narrow lube grooves.  These might work OK in a revolver but cause fouling in a longer rifle barrel as the bullet simply runs out of lube before it gets to the muzzle.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 08:02:08 AM »
Keep in mind that it is not just a question of the type of lube, it is also a question of the quantity of the lube.  Modern bullets have shallow, narrow lube grooves.  These might work OK in a revolver but cause fouling in a longer rifle barrel as the bullet simply runs out of lube before it gets to the muzzle.

Exactly and many offered by some mentioned above don't even have enough lube for a pistol.

If you look at original black powder bullets they usually had two lube grooves in the pistol bullets. Some are offering essentially a smokeless bullet with a small single lube groove lubed with black powder lube which still doesn't cut it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 09:42:45 AM »
I personally like Big Lube bullets from Springfield Slim (Mark Wythe).  Carry a suitcase full of lube.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Unless I'm shooting APP (likely).  Then I don't care if there is lube or not.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 10:25:29 PM »
+1 for Whyte Leather Works.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »
I am in the experimental phase of a new idea(to me). I am using the powder coated bullets with no lube in my black powder rifle.  (38 cal Uberti 73)
I'm cheating a bit by shooting Pinnacle but a few of my friends are using real black. So far all results have been good.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 10:47:12 AM »
Hey Noz,

Ah yup.  I wouldn't necessarily call it "cheating" as much as "taking advantage."  It seems Pinnacle makes it own form of "lube."  Pinnacle is, after all, APP by a former name.  APP/Pinnacle should work well with any lube.  Or no lube.  I, in fact, am a proponent APP.  I shoot a whole lot of it.

I would really be interested in the results of the folks shooting Powder Coat bullets with real Black.  The powder coat would provide some lubrication of the bullet itself thru the bore, but would leave nothing behind to help soften/keep soft the BP fouling.  Curious.

Coffinmaker

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 04:23:35 PM »
I've been messing with powdercoated bullets since last year using smokeless with good results. I don't know why they wouldn't work with the dark stuff. I like the fact that I can use my scrap range lead and not have to worry about how hard it is. An interesting experiment. Keep us posted.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »
Hey Noz,

Ah yup.  I wouldn't necessarily call it "cheating" as much as "taking advantage."  It seems Pinnacle makes it own form of "lube."  Pinnacle is, after all, APP by a former name.  APP/Pinnacle should work well with any lube.  Or no lube.  I, in fact, am a proponent APP.  I shoot a whole lot of it.

I would really be interested in the results of the folks shooting Powder Coat bullets with real Black.  The powder coat would provide some lubrication of the bullet itself thru the bore, but would leave nothing behind to help soften/keep soft the BP fouling.  Curious.

Coffinmaker
hmm???   I would guess that wont work - but ? In a humid enough environment maybe it flies
When me and junior got our 66's we bought a Cast Bullet Engineering mold - a bit heavy at 225 grain but had the crimp groove in the correct position for 66/73 (difficult to find that in 1990) we used beeswax and mutton fat lube - goex black powder. later we got involved in pistol club and they did a bulk buy on cast bullets from some guy that setup casting - we got 500 of that exact same bullet but prelubed (red lube - alox?) ... so junior is pretty handy with that 66 carbine - he loads fast and man can he crank it (I have a pic someplace of him with three in the air and the lever closing on the fourth - bog standard action and full case black) anyways after a couple of sessions his 66 is gunked up to the point it wont shoot - we did some research and went back to our own cast and lube - and no problems - later we got another shipment from the same guy but managed to buy them unlubed - used our own pan lube and aok again - I really think the softening part is more important than the lube effect with black - and yeah - most commercial molds do not carry enough lube for blackpowder - I used straight beeswax for years in lever guns with smokeless - it works great as lube but it dont soften fouling

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com