Author Topic: Revolver/rifle ammo slide question  (Read 9516 times)

Offline McCrower

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Revolver/rifle ammo slide question
« on: May 31, 2017, 04:26:49 AM »
In a recent competition I saw a really fast Cowboy Action shooter who had a revolver/rifle ammo leather slide on his revolver belt, which tilted out quite a bit from the belt. I then tried to make a slide like this myself. But just to be sure, is this kind of slide allowed? Se pictures of my slide.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Revolver/rifle ammo slide question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 04:34:42 PM »
Um .... No pictures to view.

Coffinmaker.

Offline McCrower

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 01:19:16 AM »
Um .... No pictures to view.

Coffinmaker.

Can you see them now?  :)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:43:14 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 03:12:01 AM »
no
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »
Nope

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:22 PM »
The pics have showed up for me since yesterday afternoon.

My initial thought was "not legal".

Then I started looking in the shooter's handbook.  It is specifically mentioned as illegal regarding shotgun shells, but I'm not seeing anything that would outlaw cartridge loops leaning out like that.  There are some situations where they say "if you have to ask, it is not legal" but I don't know if it applies to this.

But I can tell you that some folks will assume it is illegal and give you a hard time about it.  If I saw it, I would give you a hard time about it, even if I knew it was legal.  (I really hate overly "gamer" type of leather).

Offline McCrower

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 01:26:05 AM »
The pics have showed up for me since yesterday afternoon.

My initial thought was "not legal".

Then I started looking in the shooter's handbook.  It is specifically mentioned as illegal regarding shotgun shells, but I'm not seeing anything that would outlaw cartridge loops leaning out like that.  There are some situations where they say "if you have to ask, it is not legal" but I don't know if it applies to this.

But I can tell you that some folks will assume it is illegal and give you a hard time about it.  If I saw it, I would give you a hard time about it, even if I knew it was legal.  (I really hate overly "gamer" type of leather).

I agree that it looks very "gamer" with the loops leaning out like that, so I have have changed the design of my slide now. The loops are only leaning half of the way out now compared to the pictures. Doesn't look to much gamer, and works very good when reloading fast with the leveraction.

Offline McCrower

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 07:00:49 AM »
What about now then? Better?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »
NOPE.  Still nada.

Coffinmaker

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »
Then I had another thought.  The only reasons for Rifle/Pistol cartridge slides are infrequent single round reloads on the clock.  Or, if the shooter has a penchant for kicking out live rounds by getting out of time with the rifle.  Neither of which, at least to me (personal opine here) would justify a "Gamey" tilt out slide.  For the occasional on the clock reload, it really doesn't matter.  If yer kickin out live ones, I'd suggest a bit more ........ PRACTICE????

Coffinmaker

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »
If you're kicking out rounds you are running the rifle way too fast. You are cycling the gun before you can even pull the trigger. Not too good. Its a new shooter mistake but if a match director sticks a humongous rifle target where you 'just can't ' miss it you will miss or throw out a round trying to run your rifle as fast as possible. If you want to build a contraption to hold that emergency bullet build something that will fit in a 12 ga loop and the rd is secure but stuck up so its easy to grab. Most reloads are burried on the shooters gun belt under his sg belt. I had this made to hold 8 sg and 3 rifle rds. It uses C closures which hook into my canvas belt. It holds the rds right in front of me, very easy to access and no extra sg belt.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 04:01:59 PM »
Baltimore Ed, it looks like the shotgun shells on either side of the rifle loop would make it more difficult to pull the rifle round if you haven't shot the shotgun yet.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 06:12:01 PM »
This rig is not necessarily built for speed but for convenience, it's alot easier to get to these shells than ones behind your back or hip where you can't see and have to feel for them. This rig could be tweeked for speed by raising the .45 loops but then that gets in the way of the 12 ga shells.  I definitely know that I'll need the 12 ga shells but hopefully won't need the.45 shells.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 04:17:12 AM »
I don't believe you are allowed to put rifle or pistol ammo in shotgun loops when you are shooting  CAS match.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 06:01:08 AM »
You're probably right there wildman. Sounds like one of their silly rules.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 06:30:22 AM »
I have seen shooters put 38's in 45 rifles, try to put 45's in 38's, put 44 mags in a 44-40. I would think if you had rifle/pistol ammo in a shotgun loop that could be a potential disaster.
wM1

Offline Whiskey Hayes

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
Looks like you have 45 shell loops between your shotgun loops.  No rule against that.  I believe you'll be ok as long as a shotgun round will not fit in the loops intended for pistol/rifle reload.

Most folks tend to reload rifle with hand on same side of loading port which is on the right side.  Why not put rifle/pistol loops to right side of end shotgun loop.  It will be easy to find them there and you won't be accidently pulling/dropping a shotgun shell while you grab a rifle round.

Whiskey

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 02:03:38 PM »
I've never developed the sg skills to pull any more than 2 sg shells out of my belt at a time to load my 97 plus this rig naturally works for a double so that's the way I designed it. Separating the 12s make them easy to correctly grab. As I said, I know I'll need the sg shells but hope I don't need the rifle reloads.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com