Author Topic: Center Draft Lamps  (Read 17653 times)

45 Dragoon

Re: Center Draft Lamps
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 03:34:05 PM »
Ha!! I can relate!! I was pretty big in the collecting of Aladdin lamps for many many years. The house was full of them and the collector bunch was just crazy about them. The Aladdin Knights (largest lamp club in existence)  held meets through the year and the big National Meet (called the Gathering) would bring in folks from all over the world! Buying and selling them was quite a business!! Needless to say, my kids have done their homework under "Aladdin light" many many nights!!

Years later I found the German made Famos 120 C.P.s (and the later English variants) and my ideas about Aladdin's changed somewhat. Aladdin's are fine lamps for sure but the Famos lamps are honestly the king of mantle lamps (Those dang Germans make good stuff!!!).

Though hard to find on this side of the pond, they are worth looking for (I've been finished looking for years!).  New wicks can still be had, it's the mantles that are the "hens teeth"!! An adapter can be easily made so Aladdin mantles can be used.

We use hanging Aladdin's in parts of our house (they are electrified but non-destructivly) and a floor lamp from the early 1930s and some table lamps but the Famos lamps have a permanent " use as intended" existence in our house!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 06:35:48 PM »
With the upsurge in "survivalist" types and those just concerned about being prepared for off-grid emergencies, you'd think there'd be some demand for someone to start manufacturing these again. I've heard people rave about how bright the Aladdin's are, but most sites I see people acknowledge that they tend to be finicky. Not much to go wrong with these center draft lamps (aside from maybe finding a fuel that won't piss someone off!). ;)
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 01:14:13 AM »
With the upsurge in "survivalist" types and those just concerned about being prepared for off-grid emergencies, you'd think there'd be some demand for someone to start manufacturing these again. I've heard people rave about how bright the Aladdin's are, but most sites I see people acknowledge that they tend to be finicky. Not much to go wrong with these center draft lamps (aside from maybe finding a fuel that won't piss someone off!). ;)

https://www.lehmans.com/product/aladdin-aluminum-table-oil-lamp/

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:45:20 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 01:16:05 AM »
http://www.aladdin-us.com/?s_kwcid=aladdin%20lamps|11264721379&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9r7JBRCj37PlltTskaMBEiQAKTzTfBjtxkpUALfFu9m5egzQ_diQc9AyM5-4QQxjEjbyeZEaAuVC8P8HAQ
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 09:24:30 AM »
Sorry I wasn't clear. I know the Aladdin is still in production, but I was talking about the center Draft type or the Famos. If you want a pump mantle lantern you can get a Coleman for much less than an Aladdin, but again, they're fidgety.

Edit: When I was reading other forums I got the impression that the Aladdin needed to be pumped, which it does not. I still see comments that the mantle is less than ideal in an "emergency" setting due to the fragility, cost, and availability of the mantles. They do look pretty neat, though.

I received a taller chimney for use on my central draft, since I'm at a fairly high altitude. It definitely burns better, and not nearly as hot. Funny what a few extra inches of chimney will do.
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!

45 Dragoon

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
OldSchool,
  The new mantles are probably what is being discussed. They are non-radioactive (thank you enviros!!). So, the best mantles are the older ones. They will last as long as you want them too if you're careful. I have many that have been in use 8-10 yrs.(when I was making the switch from Aladdin).  These are indoor lamps, not lanterns. So, they sit most of the time. The mantles I use are from the 30s, 40s and maybe 50s vintage. They were made for Aladdin's but by a different company. The mantle itself is physically larger than the Aladdin which the Famos lamps need. That's how I am able to use the Famos lamps with great success (and I have a big stash of them!!)!!  As far as being "fidgety", as a rule, the smaller the wick diameter, the closer you have to " manage" the lamp. The Aladdin's are sort of a "middle of the road"  as far as "babysitting".   The Famos lamps are much more forgiving and very easy to live with. The Kronos Mammoth (the 30 line ) is pretty much" self babysitting" as well.

The pressurized lanterns and lamps (Coleman made indoor lighting as well!) Are a little dangerous for in the house. A leak in a gasoline/naptha fuel tank can be exciting!!! 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 10:10:46 PM »
When I was scrounging the antique mall today I found an original manual for the Aladdin Nu-Type lamps. I'll scan it in and post it if anyone is interested.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 01:19:37 AM »
Do.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 09:17:39 AM »
pardon the intrusion- W.T. Kirkman is a good source for lantern stuff, old and new.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 09:22:27 PM »
   Well, I made a trip to a long time lamp buddy who was holding a rather rare buner for me. Also scored 5 mantles (he's my "connection" lol) and some 20''' (that's 20 line) wick material. Was able to make replacement wicks for all of my 120cp mantle lamps (13 of um!)!! That saves me over $200 plus shipping from the U.K.!

The burner is a Wonderlite by the English company Veritas. It is a side draft 120 cp burner. I'm pretty sure this is the burner that  Aladdin sued Veritas for patent infringement and won, putting an end to the production of it. Thus, very few made it into the market and the reason for its rarity. I believe if Aladdin had produced this burner as a "2000" burner (making it the first 120 cp Aladdin burner), they would still be in the lamp business today.  Since it's a side draft burner,it can be used in an existing font with the appropriate thread (A center draft buner needs a center draft tube through the font).  That makes it suitable as a replacement burner for a "lesser" lamp ( ie. the Aladdin).  Oh yeah, this burner makes it 14 lamps total soon as I find a suitable font!

And, it's lamp season so, enjoy your lamps!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com