Author Topic: New To The Darkest of Arts  (Read 12068 times)

Offline ILoveMy1860Army

• Citizen
  • Born on a mountain, raised in a cave.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New To The Darkest of Arts
« on: May 26, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
Howdy y'all!

I'm new to both the Dark Arts and this forum. I'll be honest as eggs in April, I was intimidated at first, but after reading some of these lovely threads and seeing how you guy's seem to treat newcomers, I have absolutely no worry at all. I always heard the BP community was a kind, intelligent, welcoming, eccentric bunch. I really didn't believe it.

Until now!

I have a few questions that I'm hoping might be able to answered here. I've been shooting the "smokeyless" variety of gunz for years upon years, since I was a tot really, but this is new territory. So here's it is. Just last night, after lots and lots of studying, reading, late nights, think sessions in the water closet, and combing through different CAS and BP forums, I purchased my first smoke machine; a Uberti 1860 Army in .44, steel frame, fluted cylinder, 8'' barrel, the works. I first thought about getting the 51 Navy but.. the 1860, to me, is like a Hemi Cuda. You are inexplicably drawn to it. You want to feel it, touch it, sit in it, and like most smoke poles and pocket cannons, you want to hear it roar. I can't tell you guy's how excited I am to finally get the thing! I've bought just about everything save a damn gun range to use in it, on it, under it, around it, and with it so I can welcome it to it's new home.

Traditions powder flask, powder measure w/ funnel, TC snail capper, cleaning kits, 2 tubes of the famed butterer of many bores, Slix-Shot Nipples and a wrench to boot, solvents, oils, cleaners, fluids, liquids, powders, you name it. 400 Remington #10's caps, beeswax, mutton tallow, nipple pick, WD-40, Ol Griz Path Lube, Hoppes #9 pistol cleaning kit (the orange one that looks like a salt shaker with a pointed top) anti-sieze whatchamacallits, a 16 oz. can of pure, high-octane triple distilled moose milk on it's way (with all it's 11 herbs and spices, I'm sure!), and a few other bits and bobs that I can't recall right now. I'm even thinking of getting a holster for when I go camping in the summer (Although, I'm worried about carry laws. Seems ta me that us Cal-I-Fornians don't know how to have fun. We get away with it when we can though!)  ;)

So I guess what I have'ta ask is, what are your tips for the newbies? What kinds of not-so-commonplace things have you guy's stuffed into your carts and range bags after needing them and not having them? Tips, tricks, do's, don'ts? Thoughts on wearing a holster in the woods and the possibility of being bothered about it? Any warnings about new out of the box Uberti's? Over powder wads or packing the last length of cylinder (above yer bawl) with goo?

To be completely honest, I'm a bit worried about some of the things I've heard about new out of the box guns and their possible sighting or fit-and-finish problems, as I've yet to be on this earth long enough to learn some appreciable metalworking skills.

I've thought long and hard about the differences between the Holy Black and the subs from hell, and I've decided on a strict diet of Pyrodex Pellets for my new gun, as I've heard it's the best thing to use, the easiest to clean, and you can leave your guns dirty for months on end without a speck of rust. (Just kidding, yuck) Goex FFFG is tha thing fer me!

I know that post was lengthy and I'm sorry if it was too much to read, but any information is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully, and may your guns never rust, your caps never jam, and your powder never grow damp!
I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
Re: New To The Darkest of Arts
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 03:50:45 PM »
Welcome to the fire!

Get ready to buy another C&B cause their ain't no cure for Cap n' Ball Fever!!
God forgives, I don't........

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »
When shooting Pyrodex, be sure to clean your guns promptly and well.  The stuff can be corrosive as all get out.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:27:50 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 04:40:06 PM »
I have heard, more than once, that the pellets can be hard to set off in a C&B revolver.  They need a really strong spark.

Here is an old article by Hellgate.  I put this one on my website years ago, and have seen various versions of it posted here and there:

http://www.davidscottharper.com/shoot/CnB_info.htm

Offline ILoveMy1860Army

• Citizen
  • Born on a mountain, raised in a cave.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 04:42:33 PM »
I was jokin' about the pyrodex, of course. Would probably never use the stuff unless there was an absolute need fer it.
I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:33:23 AM »
My long list of helpful hints:
1. Completely disassemble and clean the pistol before even cycling it once. Find those metal chips and burrs right off.

2. Check and correct the arbor length if needed at the same time.

3. Buy a holster. When I'm asked about carrying I say "It's to protect my honor in case of amazon biker women gangs try to defile my body." and smile.

Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 12:13:37 PM »
Check out Pettifogers two articles on tuning the Piettas.  Process work on all open top Colt reproductions, not just pietas.

You might also check out Mike Bellevieu's U tube videos

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »
My long list of helpful hints:
1. Completely disassemble and clean the pistol before even cycling it once. Find those metal chips and burrs right off.

2. Check and correct the arbor length if needed at the same time.

3. Buy a holster. When I'm asked about carrying I say "It's to protect my honor in case of amazon biker women gangs try to defile my body." and smile.

Do this first.  Then do what Fingers said.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 09:01:14 PM »
All good information and now your fun starts.
Coffinmaker calls it "gottgetanothergunitis" and like Cemetery says you will need another.
BTW a full flute with a shoulder stock is a show stopper and fun to shoot.
I suffer from it and my family tried to put me ina 12 step program, my response is a 12 step program is two 1860 Armies  with all chambers loaded.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Blackjack Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • BADGES!!!!! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES
    • Open Top Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 11:44:02 PM »
I tell it's a disease it started innocently enough. I bought a Uberti 1860 fluted after buying my son a Pietta 1851 for Christmas so we can shoot cap n ball together. Then it grew to a Pietta 1860 to keep the other 60 company in the safe and then I found a 1872 Cimarron open top because I had to have the ultimate army grip revolver. Now I'm putting on a layaway a Cimarron 1860 Type II Richards to complete my collection for now. Well then there is always the ASM Type I . . . Oh man I need to get help. ;D
Blackjack Charlie
NCOWS Secretary
Senator
NCOWS #3785 Pistoleer
STORM 433
2017 Inaugural SMVS The Quick and The Dead  Shootout Winner
Webmaster and Deputy Marshal Johnson County Rangers
http://www.jcrangers.org/

A proud member of Open Top Productions
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1giK15YACmSiF93l-kiS3Q
Please subscribe to our YouTube channel

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 08:24:25 AM »
And finally after many sets of cap and ball guns you will descend to the level of Rugers.
I did and now my several pairs of Pietta cap and ball guns lie dormant.
The Rugers have no historical back ground but are simply the best cap and ball handgun ever made.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 06:47:11 PM »
And finally after many sets of cap and ball guns you will descend to the level of Rugers.
I did and now my several pairs of Pietta cap and ball guns lie dormant.
The Rugers have no historical back ground but are simply the best cap and ball handgun ever made.

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh
 :o
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 10:04:33 PM »
Why Fingers, was that the sound of disgust? Surely you realize by now that some folks/organizations don't give a hoot about authenticity, but they're still shootin and makin smoke! Good, clean? American fun!
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »
You notice his disgust but also notice he doesn't reject any of my claims.
If I recall correctly, he does in fact own some Rugers but simply prefers the 51's and 61's of which he has a pickup load.
I've been shooting them for well over a year and have had one cap jam that lost me time when I had to manually turn the cylinder for one shot.  They are ugly, they are not authentic but they go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Offline David Battersby

• Very Active Citizen
  • Smokeless powder is a passing fad .
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 08:42:02 AM »
Howdy y'all!

I'm new to both the Dark Arts and this forum. I'll be honest as eggs in April, I was intimidated at first, but after reading some of these lovely threads and seeing how you guy's seem to treat newcomers, I have absolutely no worry at all. I always heard the BP community was a kind, intelligent, welcoming, eccentric bunch. I really didn't believe it.

Until now! 

Boy, do we have him fooled ! ;D

One day I loaded some 44WCF rounds with black powder just for grins and giggles. I was bit, in love, hopelessly addicted.......
The fine folks here and the ever present John Kort helped me to fine tune my load and loading techniques. Next thing you know black powder is the most accurate load I have ever tried in that rifle (and I tried A LOT of smokeless loads).
 No need to re-invent the wheel when someone has already been down "that road". 
 ......I love the smell of Ballistol in the morning, it smalls like FUN !
John Moses Browning and Teddy Roosevelt, we need you again !
In the days of old when men were bold and a quarter was still worth a dime.

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 02:04:49 PM »
Noz, I have shot with Fingers, and I have never seen his pistols ever fail to go bang either! The Ruger Old Army is probably the end of evolution of what a cap and ball revolver could be, and also a good example of how nice the three screw Ruger action was before the transfer bar was adopted in attempt to idiot proof a pistol. Hopeless cause! I enjoy making alot of smoke and noise with my ROA, but I bet it would raise more than a few eyebrows at an NCOWS match.
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 02:54:54 PM »
You notice his disgust but also notice he doesn't reject any of my claims.
If I recall correctly, he does in fact own some Rugers but simply prefers the 51's and 61's of which he has a pickup load.

Yes, you do recall correctly.  I picked up a pair of 5.5  inch blued fixed sight models a few years ago - For investment purposes only  And I just recently got a couple more '51s in stainless steel.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 05:47:01 PM »
And---------------- When the Black Powder comes out, the FUN begins !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want the ultimate shooting experience, load and shoot Black Powder !!!!!!!!!!!

My Rat-Rod CVA 61 Navy

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »
Noz, I have shot with Fingers, and I have never seen his pistols ever fail to go bang either! The Ruger Old Army is probably the end of evolution of what a cap and ball revolver could be, and also a good example of how nice the three screw Ruger action was before the transfer bar was adopted in attempt to idiot proof a pistol. Hopeless cause! I enjoy making alot of smoke and noise with my ROA, but I bet it would raise more than a few eyebrows at an NCOWS match.

I too have shot with him many times. While he was shooting 51-61s I was shooting 60 Armys.  In each case we were dealing with 1850ish engineering. They will fail!  I have had handsprings break, mainsprings break and every kind of cap failure that the guns will produce.  I watched fingers break a hand spring on one of his guns at a shoot and the next stage he broke the handspring on the other.  They will fail. The ROA is about as fool proof as is possible.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 02:40:22 PM »
I.    BEGG.     TO.      DIFFER!!  Taint SO.  Tiz NOT.  My Colt pattern (All Pietta) Cap Guns will run with ANY Suppository shooter!!  Furthermore ....... Filmore ....... I   DO    NOT    have Cap Jams.  After I set up my guns ........ nothing breaks.  I take all the stuff out of the gun that breaks and replace that stuff with stuff that doesn't break.  Properly set up, Colt pattern Cap Guns will run with ANY Ruger thingie.  SO THERE!!  ;D

ROAs are BIG.  ROAs are Butt Ugly.  However.   With very little set up ..... Ruger Old Armies are just about Bullet Proof.  Almost as good as my guns.  ALMOST!!  Their just too @%#$ heavy.  Weigh a TON.  When you cut them to the correct barrel length, they look funny.  Butt Ugly Funny. :o

No.  I don't like rugers.  Didn't say I didn't know how to use one (Purloined Famous Movie Line).  I think it's super annoying Ruger quit making them.  The weenies could well have left the 5 1/2 inch guns production.  Could even have come up with 4 inch guns.  Nope.  They quit.  I won't miss em, but some folks don't care what they have in their holsters   ::) :D

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com