Author Topic: Mag pouches in the Zoot era?  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Mag pouches in the Zoot era?
« on: May 23, 2017, 06:55:14 AM »
During the period of what Zoot shooting represents what was/were the common practice(s) of carrying extra magazines for your semi-auto pistol? Belt pouches? In the pocket of one's trousers or vest? I have looked over many googled images and can really glean no useful info on this.

In looking at all the shoulder rigs available today quite a few have the mag pouch hung under the opposite arm. Grabbing a mag from that set up looks slow as molasses for timed shooting events and I am thinking that is probably more of a modern set up then a 1930's era set up anyway. As far as I can recollect, Miami Vice made that style of shoulder rig mag pouch set up popular.

I know Zoot does put am emphasis on period dress. What is the handiest/most efficient way to carry and load your pistol during a caper while trying to maintain some semblance of staying true to the common practices of the era?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mag pouches in the Zoot era?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:34:11 AM »
The common practice was keeping loose rounds or a magazine in a pocket - be it vest, coat or trousers.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:46:35 PM »
I can certainly see loose rounds for revolvers as I don't believe speed loaders existed. Of course, just like  in the Civil War  I suppose if one was going into a shooting scrap  he would more likely carry extra guns .

Extra magazines in a vest-pocket certainly makes sense. I'm just wondering how a right hand shooter shoulder holster would work with a couple of mag pouches also on the right side. Seems like things might get a tad crowded on the belt line there.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:21:34 AM »

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:07:18 PM »
Speed loaders may not have existed, but moon clips did.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 02:47:24 PM »
Men of that era wore a hat, a tie, and a jacket. While most of us don't use the jacket pockets, they are certainly large enough to hold a few mags, and easy to get into.

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:51:56 PM »
Speed loaders may not have existed, but moon clips did.

While speed loaders weren't commercially available at that time, Uncle Sam had them in the 1890's, well sort of.  The Navy and Marines were being issued .38 Long Colt cartridges in a 6 round brass collar held tight in position by a wood spindle in the center.  You would hold on to the brass outer ring, line the rounds up with cylinder's chambers and push down.  This would drive the wood center section out the back of the brass ring allowing the rounds to fall free into the chambers.  Both the wood and brass sections were considered expendable and left all over the battlefield at the time.  I don't have any idea when they stopped using them, too expensive I would guess.  It took until the 1960 for someone to reinvent the wheel for police use.

This is the patent information with drawings for them:

https://www.google.com/patents/US402424

Article about them (scroll up a page or two, begins on P 520)

https://books.google.com/books?id=EX9KAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA523&lpg=PA523&dq=Colt+Cartridge+Pack&source=bl&ots=N6J_tGNkxf&sig=-uBunPXrPV-6oyGJP_lenJn7nLY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjR45r46YvUAhXFiVQKHXXQADUQ6AEIYzAN#v=onepage&q=Colt%20Cartridge%20Pack&f=false
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com