Poll

How do you shoot your 1911 in Wild Bunch?

Duelist
10 (62.5%)
Two hands
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Shooting your 1911 in Wild Bunch  (Read 22248 times)

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
Re: Shooting your 1911 in Wild Bunch
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 07:23:32 PM »
The holster wasn't hidden very well.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 08:44:49 PM »
The holster wasn't hidden very well.

... but nothing says a period correct shoulder rig couldn't have existed ....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 10:18:39 PM »
A 1942 shoulder holster is ok but don't bring a lever gun under 40 caliber.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:06:18 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 09:39:11 AM »
Another tidbit about Pike's outfit is that his silver lieutenant bars on his epaulettes are actually Air Force bars not Army. Peckinpah wanted some kind of insignia for Pike so that's what the prop dept came up with.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
I watched that movie several times and missed a lot of these details. I get too hung up on the story line.

My seamstress wife looks for zippers and Velcro on period dresses in period movies. Finds a few.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 05:47:30 PM »
This is one of my favorite films also, right up there with The Wind and The Lion, The Professionals, Zulu and Saving Private Ryan. I never realized Pikes shoulder holster was what it was but as you say, small idiosyncrasies don't affect these great films as a whole because their stories are so powerful. But the big stretch of poetic license is that the WB takes place in 1912 but the star Browning is a 1916 water cooled. Not very likely to have been available then, but using the 1916 certainly made the film into the powerful over the top film that Peckinpah wanted.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 03:07:27 PM »
The first local CAS event of the year is happening June 10-11 north of me by two hours.

They have a category called "Renegade" that allows WB guns to used throughout the match. Any time I can shoot a 1911 in a full match - I'm in! Your long guns must also be WB eligible as per SASS rules.

They REALLY went "Renegade" with the guns allowed in this category:

"Guns from WWI, WWII, Korean War eras to include C96 Mauser, Colt New Service, S&W '17, P-08s, 1911s, '95 Nagants, P-38s, etc., issued to soldiers or police."

I have a problem with the last one, but it isn't my match. All must use lead bullets. All must be in "as issued" condition.

I'll be shooting a blued R1 that is box stock as it came with a sweet trigger right out of the box.

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »
A 1942 shoulder holster is ok but don't bring a lever gun under 40 caliber.

Shoulder or cross draw holsters are not legal in Wild Bunch. (p 14,  Wild Bunch Handbook) You are correct about the under .40 caliber rifle.

Blackfoot :'(

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
 For the two paw 1911 shooters ....

Try hitting the mag release with your left thumb before going for the next mag. That way if a mag hangs up, your hand is right there to pull it out and you don't lose the shooting grip on the gun

If you do this and get in the habit of putting your trigger finger on the slide stop button, you won't get called for having your finger in the trigger guard.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
Blackfoot, I looked at Winter Range as you suggested. Combining all the sub categories I counted.  81- modern and   39- traditional. Roughly twice as many two handed shooters than one handed, makes sense I guess, given the average age of SASS membership, the size and .45 ballistics of a 1911. Most folks need both hands to run the gun. Thanks for the imput guys.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2017, 04:54:58 PM »
Similar to CAS, lots more two-handed shooters than duelist or gunfighter.

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2017, 06:47:44 AM »
Blackfoot, I looked at Winter Range as you suggested. Combining all the sub categories I counted.  81- modern and   39- traditional. Roughly twice as many two handed shooters than one handed, makes sense I guess, given the average age of SASS membership, the size and .45 ballistics of a 1911. Most folks need both hands to run the gun. Thanks for the imput guys.

Well, I am just different.  I am almost 83 years old, left handed, shoot traditional and am pretty good at it!

Blackfoot 8)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »
I'm not as growed as you are sir but I'm catchin up at 66 and as you have only ever shot my SAs or 1911 correctly. Duelist. A great lady who was like a grandmother to my wife was a lefty and she had a saying that went "If the right half of your brain runs the left side of your body and the left half of your brain runs the right side of your body then only left handed people are in their right minds." Hope you keep on keepin on there Blackfoot.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »
Been shooting the 1911 since the mid 1960's. These past 5 years time and injuries catching up to me I have been shooting with 2 hands.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 06:16:49 PM »
I just shot "Renegade" with a 1911 at a two day event. The only other Renegade used two hands. I kicked his butt. There is another upcoming event where I can shoot ''Renegade'' and I think I will.

I'll be 75 in November. I hate it when people play the age card. To this day I can outwork and out shoot most of the men I know, regardless of age.

Speaking of cards, they had a Best Poker Hand shoot (15 yds), best hand after shooting at a wall of cards reversed. This time, I cheated and used both paws.

I centre punched two of the four cards I hit. The 1911 can get the job done.

There was also a stage where you had to hit a clay bird at 20 yds with your rifle to get 10 seconds off your time. I suggested that we make it a pistol shot. That got shot down PDQ!

Afterwards, I suggested we make it a money shoot - $1:00 per shot using handguns, a max of 5 rds. No takers, but I was challenged to break the clay. Took me 5 rds but I got it.

I forgot that the gun shot low with 200 gr SWCs.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 06:39:53 PM »
Good shooting there PJ. Hope I'm doing as well as you when I'm your age. I'll have to try that shot tomorrow.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 07:49:04 PM »
Thanks, Ed! I've worked at my fitness and health all my life. It's paid dividends in my dotage.

I've survived a lot of things that could have killed me, more than I care to remember, including a bout of alcohol addiction and a tussle with the 'Big C'. I'm now 30 years clean & sober and seven in remission. Give me something to worry about!

It's true - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It certainly changes your outlook on life and alters your priorities.

I use a chainsaw several times a week on our wood lot, felling trees for firewood and dropping "widow maker" leaners. Had a few close calls, but so far have only injured myself, a cut above the kevlar pad coming very near my femoral artery. That required 10 stitches to close up.

Life is good and getting better. Amen

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 07:53:46 PM »
... Took me 5 rds but I got it....

Heck, took 5 rds because it was just sitting there.  Bet if ya tossed it into the air it woulda just took one shot.   :)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 08:35:53 PM »
PJ, Not had the medical issues you've had but heated the house with wood until my wife said that I was done cutting wood and we put in central air/heat. Been with her 40 years, so I  guess she's a keeper. I worked outside loading and unloading railcars, barges, trucks, switched and drove a yard engine for 38 years. Wrecked my knees but now I'm enjoying playing with my toys and working in my wood shop. Thinking about investing in a mini milling machine. Too many projects.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 01:46:28 PM »
Abilene - I wish! If I could, I'd practice aerial shooting with a 1911 but our club would have a fit and it's illegal to shoot a handgun in Canuckistan anywhere but on an "approved range".

Used to do it in the boonies with a Colt Officer Model .22 back in the day and got quite good at it. Things were a little looser then.

Life is too short not to enjoy the things you enjoy doing - within one's limitations, of course.

I'm amazed my knees still function after 319 free fall landings. I just tolerate a back injury that once in a while gives me problems if I over work it.

After 12 years in the Army and 30 years in the natural gas industry, I've survived a lot. I did shatter my left elbow in the Army. Have a steel pin holding the knobby end on the ulna and no head on the radius bone.

I was told that I had a 50/50 chance of being a cripple in my left arm. I was high on Demerol and respectfully told the Colonel surgeon to make love to himself (or words to that effect) and he laughed, saying - "You'll be OK, Soldier!"

Today I do chin ups, hand stand push ups, weight training, etc. If that's "crippled", I can handle it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com