Author Topic: Using airbrush to apply leather dye.  (Read 3635 times)

sfc rick

Using airbrush to apply leather dye.
« on: June 16, 2017, 06:35:38 AM »
One thing I learned just recently was a tip from the local saddle shop owner. He told me to stop using a wool dauber to apply the dye. Of course I had always used them and had the typical problem of even coverage of the dye. I resorted to after the dye was put on then taking a wet wash cloth and rub the leather until it looked better. BUT I already had an airbrush and small spray gun and thought it was a good technique to try out. It worked so much better and also let me apply black dye along the edges to "age" and compliment the brown dye. The other tip he passed along was to use the oil based dye and not use the water based dye. It (oil based) penetrates more and looks better overall. Yep he was right and now I love to start new holsters looking forward to being creative with using my newly acquired airbrush work and oil based dyes.

I'm just a new guy learning as I go.

Warning!!!!! I know this isn't traditional old school techniques that purists do. So I hope you guys don't take offense at my attempts to get better.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Using airbrush to apply leather dye.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:24:39 AM »
The really neat thing about using an airbrush, you can get a sunburst effect like some guitars. I don't use them, but, others do. I do it with a sponge, and can also get that two tone effect with it :)

Here is the real mind blower for you... some folks use wood finish instead of dye, and their work is beautiful!

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:43:42 AM »
Slightly off topic.  When I was doing fur trade reenactment, I tacked two buck skins to my redwood fence and sprayed them with dye using a house paint spray gun.  I wanted a smoked leather look, instead of the pale cream color.  After they skins dried, I made a Plains War Shirt that still looks good (now 15 years old).
Scouts Out!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:10:40 PM »

sfc rick

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
The really neat thing about using an airbrush, you can get a sunburst effect like some guitars. I don't use them, but, others do. I do it with a sponge, and can also get that two tone effect with it :)

Here is the real mind blower for you... some folks use wood finish instead of dye, and their work is beautiful!

Very interesting......

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »
I've used an airbrush before and had it come out quite well. It depends on what you want. After all, results speak loudly.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »
Rick - Which airbrush do you use?

sfc rick

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:58:44 AM »
Rick - Which airbrush do you use?

I use a small top load spray gun from Harbor Freight, and also their airbrush too for detail work. Both are great for the job and clean up is easy with water based dye's and even for the professional oil based dye's.

Offline CurlyDrew42

• Liberal Gunslinger
  • Active citizen
    • Entropy Fable
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 03:27:31 PM »
I love using my airbrush to apply dye.  Especially if I am using eco-flo.  Really easy to get nice fades and sunburst effects, great coverage and super economical.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com