Author Topic: Loose 66 carbine magazine tube  (Read 6104 times)

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Loose 66 carbine magazine tube
« on: May 19, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »
Match in the am.  Just getting everything ready and noticed my 66 carbine magazine tube is loose.  probably wouldn't be  big deal but the front sight is mounted on a band that attaches to the barrel and magazine tube.  Noticed the tube was loose when I noticed the front sight was kaddywampus.  Is the tube a press fit or is there an easy way to tighten it?  Thanks.  Would rather not have to pull out the backup.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Loose 66 carbine magazine tube
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 05:29:48 PM »
Good new and not so good news.

The magazine tube on a Uberti carbine either moves ..... or it doesn't.  It is unfortunately a case of manufacturing tolerance.  Usually, the front band turns a bit on the barrel and the front band screw is already over-tightened.  This causes the front sight to tilt.  Or, if your really lucky, it doesn't move (rare).  After you get everything lined up, put a "register" mark (fine punch) on the barrel and the band so you can easily adjust it back where it belongs.

There is a fix.  Sort of.  Normally the front band screw is so over-tightened, you can't get it out.  You may wind up having to drill it out and that will ruin the front band at the same time.  At which point you can order the Big Bead front band from Pioneer Gunworks.  If you succeed in getting the band off, you can use a punch to dimple the barrel area under the band.  Which may prevent the band from turning, or not.  Crap shoot.  As poor as the front sight is for our game, I suggest you just opt for the Pioneer Big Bead.

Coffinmaker

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 08:17:17 PM »
Good new and not so good news.

The magazine tube on a Uberti carbine either moves ..... or it doesn't.  It is unfortunately a case of manufacturing tolerance.  Usually, the front band turns a bit on the barrel and the front band screw is already over-tightened.  This causes the front sight to tilt.  Or, if your really lucky, it doesn't move (rare).  After you get everything lined up, put a "register" mark (fine punch) on the barrel and the band so you can easily adjust it back where it belongs.

There is a fix.  Sort of.  Normally the front band screw is so over-tightened, you can't get it out.  You may wind up having to drill it out and that will ruin the front band at the same time.  At which point you can order the Big Bead front band from Pioneer Gunworks.  If you succeed in getting the band off, you can use a punch to dimple the barrel area under the band.  Which may prevent the band from turning, or not.  Crap shoot.  As poor as the front sight is for our game, I suggest you just opt for the Pioneer Big Bead.

Coffinmaker

Thanks for response.  This is the Pioneer Big Bead front sight.  Already been through the drilling it out and replacing stuff.  It was a pita.  Thought it took care of the problem.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:04:03 AM »

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »
I've tightened both the barrel band screw and the stock band screw as much as I dare least I pop the heads off.  Shouls get me through tomorrow.  Wondering if a dab of locktite red or blue under the barrel band would be of any help?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:04:13 PM »
HP246,

Wraghts.  I should have also thought of that.  But yes, Loctite should help.  NOT RED!!  NOT RED!!  NOT RED!!  Blue Loctite should stiffen up the barrel band so it doesn't just flop around.  Clean the Barrel and Barrel Band with Alcohol, couple of drops of Blue and slide the band into place.  Not a perfect fix but should work.  I would personally still include register marks on the barrel and band.  Just in case.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Once it grabs, Red requires heat to get it to release.  Tenacious stuff it is.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
HP246,

Wraghts.  I should have also thought of that.  But yes, Loctite should help.  NOT RED!!  NOT RED!!  NOT RED!!  Blue Loctite should stiffen up the barrel band so it doesn't just flop around.  Clean the Barrel and Barrel Band with Alcohol, couple of drops of Blue and slide the band into place.  Not a perfect fix but should work.  I would personally still include register marks on the barrel and band.  Just in case.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Once it grabs, Red requires heat to get it to release.  Tenacious stuff it is.

Thanks Coffinmaker.  I knew red was more permanent, but didn't know if because of the size if it could be broken loose.  But I WILL head your advice.  Definitely NOT RED.  By the way shot a clean match today. 

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 10:56:59 PM »
If the band is excessively loose I'll suggest a radical solution.  Take the band and put it sight down in a padded vice.  Then with a thin Dremel cut-off wheel or even a hack saw cut through the middle of the bottom part of the band.  Then when you tighten the barrel band screw it can compress the (now) two sides of the band and tighten everything up.  A little cold blue and the slot will be barely visible.  This will allow the band to be easily removed for maintenance.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
Hey Pettifogger!! How are Ya??  ;D

I must admit, that are a Radical Solution, but should work.  My only concern is if I remember, the Pioneer Barrel Band is Aluminimum.  Now, trusting my memory is not exactly a sure thing ........... But in any case the width of a Hacksaw (my favorite tool) kerf should well provide enough compression to grip the barrel.

If the band is aluminum, a "Sharpie" is a good substitute for "Bluing."

Coffinmaker

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »
If the band is excessively loose I'll suggest a radical solution.  Take the band and put it sight down in a padded vice.  Then with a thin Dremel cut-off wheel or even a hack saw cut through the middle of the bottom part of the band.  Then when you tighten the barrel band screw it can compress the (now) two sides of the band and tighten everything up.  A little cold blue and the slot will be barely visible.  This will allow the band to be easily removed for maintenance.

THanks Pettifogger.  Will keep it in mind. I'm going to try the lock tite first.  I try to save the most radical solutions to last.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
Sorry,,late to the party,,"shim's ",,I use one of those "HIGH ENERGY" cans,,there about .006 thou. thick,,can cut with a pair of siccors. Be sure to hammer the edges down or file the edge's ( they will cut like a razor),,= + -,12 thou.gap,,maybe!!.

If ya' got'm ,,,smoke'm,,(guns )  Hootmix.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 05:21:37 PM »
Find yourself some shim stock, brass. aluminum or thin wall tubing. Tubing would be best as its round already. Look in your local Habitat store for long handles that can be cut up and reused. I bought a brass bed headboard and cut it down to fit a smaller bed and have used the scrap tubes from it on several projects.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com