Author Topic: Needed a Henry fix... Just watched Lonesome Dove again  (Read 4703 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Needed a Henry fix... Just watched Lonesome Dove again
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
Hello the camp!

Well, in keeping with my getting ready for the 4 day annual shoot at Railroad Flat, CA (High Sierra Shoot Out) where my 1860 Henry and it's .45 Schofield Henry Duplication Load will be my primary main match rifle, I cranked up Lonesome Dove on the DVD.

I am just in awe of this movie and the grandeur of the story.  It was this movie, seen by me when it first came out in 1989, that started my love affair with the Henry rifle, and make it the favorite main match rifle when I started CAS and joined SASS 5 years later.  It was only when I started researching CAS in mid-1994 that I became aware that replica Henries were even available.  Then,  about a year after I started CAS when I actually handled the Fahenstock Henry at an antique shop, when I really got hooked.

The rest is history.  While I have occasionally strayed from the Henry, with Marlin Century Limited and Spencers, I always come back.

As Gus said to Woodrow, "It's been some party, aint it, Woodrow"

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Needed a Henry fix... Just watched Lonesome Dove again
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »
I understand your fascination with the Henry.  Mine started with the old TV series "Wagon Train" where the scout Flint carried a Hollywood version ( probably a 92 with the forearm removed). I've wanted one since and acquired mine 10 years or so ago.

Will Ketchum 
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »
Mine was quick and the dead with sam elliot. I watched it as a kid and remember noticing the lack of a forearm.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:37:16 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
Mine was quick and the dead with sam elliot. I watched it as a kid and remember noticing the lack of a forearm.

Yep, also last stand at Saber River and Crossfire trail, IIRC.  Dances with Wolves had also them, but using them to hunt buffalo was not the norm. Besides DWW is total cr@p and revisionist History, generated by a politically correct Hollywierd.

\When you consider that in 1861, the Army Ordnance Board tested the Henry at 500 yards and the shots penetrated 5" into pine, Gus' long range shot and hit on the Renegade with the Buffalo Gun was not unreasonable.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »
Did anyone else notice that they were so authentic in Lonesome Dove, that they always had rounds in the magazine tube, evidenced by the follower's position?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
I noticed that too.  I also appreciated the same thing in "Last Stand at Saber River".  Even in scenes when the gun wasn't being fired, they had it loaded. That's a nice touch.

For a few weeks following a viewing of "Lonesome Dove", I find myself taking my Henry outside at dusk to look over my fields (I don't have a river) ala W.F. Call...

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 06:59:27 PM »
Did anyone else notice that they were so authentic in Lonesome Dove, that they always had rounds in the magazine tube, evidenced by the follower's position?
I did. It's something that I've looked for ever since I've had mine.  To me the ironical thing about Lonesome Dove, the movie, is how in general everything was fairly authentic, but the author of the book, Larry McMurtry, is know for being fast and lose with history such as having Judge Roy Bean hung by the villain in a later book.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 07:27:33 PM »

Its you Griff!

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »
I did. It's something that I've looked for ever since I've had mine.  To me the ironical thing about Lonesome Dove, the movie, is how in general everything was fairly authentic, but the author of the book, Larry McMurtry, is know for being fast and lose with history such as having Judge Roy Bean hung by the villain in a later book.

Will Ketchum

Well, according to MC Murtry, Gus and Woodrow are driving the first cattle heard to Montana in 1876 (they discuss the Custer massacre).  Actually, Nelson Story drove the first large heard of 600 Texas cattle to Montana in 1866 - ten years earlier.  SO McMurtry is still fast and loose with the truth.  In fact, much of the Historical accuracy of the miniseries as far as settings, weapons, clothes and grunge, was due to the Australian director, Simon Wincer , absolute (even anal) demand for authenticity in all things even dialogue. The casting and props people viewed thousands of old period photographs for buildings, furnishings, clothing, tack, saddles, weapons, holsters, and manner of dress.

Virtually all of the characters wore cross-draw holsters in Lonesome Dove, except for a few townies.  That is absolutely correct, as a strong side holster is a bitch to draw on horseback.  I know, I have tried!  Strong side did not become popular until the Mexican loops styles grew more common.

Oh, By The Way... let's not forget Danny Glover and his Henry in "Silverado".
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 11:48:15 PM »

Its you Griff!

Yes!  That's exactly what I look like!  Well, in my imagination anyway.  ;D

CC Griff

P.S.  Note the follower tab just below the horizon in the photo.

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Old Henry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 01:30:51 AM »

Can't remember seeing one loading a Henry Rifle in LD, but in War Arrow Jeff Chandler is loading his Henry Rifle.

;)

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 09:00:16 AM »
 A little off the subject, but probably the oldest movies that i have seen original Henry's used in are, Union Pacific 1939 with Joel McCrea. About halfway through the movie when the Indians attacked the train, and it was unloaded.  The other movie was Arizona with Jean Arther 1940. She gave a henry to William Holden as he was going on a cattle drive.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »
A Henry makes a brief appearance in "The Plainsman" (1936) with Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur. It is carried by an "Indian" confronting Jean in a cabin. Not only is it not loaded, but the lever is hanging open (maybe a broken lever spring?)  Jean needn't have felt threatened.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 06:33:44 AM »
The other movie was Arizona with Jean Arther 1940. She gave a henry to William Holden as he was going on a cattle drive.

Did you notice? He still carried a flask and a powder horn even after the engagement gift.
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com