Author Topic: Sam Brown strap  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Sam Brown strap
« on: May 15, 2017, 08:01:36 PM »
I know that the Sam Brown strap was used with the sword belt in the early period of the Indian Wars, but when was it discontinued as far as dress uniform is concerned.

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Sam Brown strap
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »
I still wore one in 1993, but of course that was a different service. 
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 09:49:05 PM »
 As late as 1977 when I got out of Uncle Sam's green machine he was still issuing Military Police a black garrison belt with the 1916 holster  suspended from what we referred to as a "suicide strap."  Most of us had filled the snaps that attached them to our belts to the point that if someone were to pull on it the strap would just detach and we wouldn't go with it.  This gear all dated from the 1940's, it all began life in brown and had been died black when the WWII brown boot Army changed over to black (1957 according to Wikipedia).

When I built a 1940's police uniform for AZSA I included a Sam brown strap and it looks great.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:05:46 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:28:41 PM »
The American army never wore one during the Indian Wars.

During World War I, the Sam Browne Belt was approved by General Pershing, commander of the AEF, for wear by American officers as a rank distinction.

However, the Army as a whole did not immediately approve its use...

MPs were positioned at stateside docks who confiscated them from returning officers.

The United States Army mandated the Sam Browne belt for overseas soldiers in 1918 under the name "Liberty belt"] and for all service members in 1921, this time under the internationally accepted name "Sam Browne belt".

It was a standard part of the uniform between World War I and World War II.

It was limited in use in 1940 when the Army abandoned sabers and replaced with a cloth waistbelt that was sewn to the officer's jacket.

During World War I, the Marines adopted a brown leather Sam Browne Belt. It was later changed to black, the official color of Navy and Marine Corps leather gear.

It is worn as part of the dress uniform by sword-bearing commissioned officers and enlisted non-commissioned officers (minus the shoulder strap) in the Corps today.

Post-WWI, the Sam Browne belt became ubiquitous amongst American police forces and can still be seen in use by them.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 07:58:46 AM »
Thanks for all of you reply's, but maybe I called the support strap for the saber belt used during the Civil War and early Indian Wars, the wrong name. Anyhow, it's this support strap, that I'm talking about and would like to know when it's use was discontinued as I'm doing an 1870-1871 cavalry impression for the Muster and would like to know if I need to make one of these straps.

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:28:07 AM »
Quick Fire, I believe you are referring to the Palmer Brace system. If you look at WPG (What Price Glory) I believe you can find what you are looking for, both the belt and the braces (two styles). Also check WPG's EBay listings.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 10:23:54 AM »
The Palmer Brace System came about after your proposed Impression and was short-lived, to say the least.

It was uncomfortable, hated and basically resembled the web harness of the WWII GI, and was quickly dropped from service.

It was primarily made for Infantry use.

The Model 1851 Saber (Sword) belt featured the two hanging straps and belt-mounted hook for carrying the saber on horseback and on foot - you lift up the scabbard to hang it all from the belt, so you can actually walk.

For the time frame you wish to represent - look to what the Federal Cavalryman wore, since all of that equipment would be what was available until worn out.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com