Author Topic: Nipples and Caps for Uberti 1860 and 1851's - question  (Read 7714 times)

1-12 INF

Nipples and Caps for Uberti 1860 and 1851's - question
« on: May 14, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
Gents,

New to BP, been playing with .45 LC cartridges, and have had so much fun with those - so I got me two Ubertis - and 1860 Army (.44) and 1851 Navy (.36).  Been reading here about replacement nipples, and the importance of proper-fitting nipples to avoid chain-fire.  I'm asking the for some experienced advice here to save me some money and experimentation.

Seems there's three nipple brands - Treso, Slix-shot, and Track of the Wolf.. and two brands with two sizes of caps each (not counting RWS) - CCI and Remington tens and elevens.  

What cap is the best fit on my stock, out-of-the-box guns?  I'm willing to replace all 12 nipples if the performance is warranted, and if I do - what combo of nipple and cap should I use?

Thanks - Bob

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Nipples and Caps for Uberti 1860 and 1851's - question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 10:54:08 PM »
Remington # 10s will be your best fit on stock or replacement nipples.  If you replace the nipples, Treso or Slix Shots in combination with the aforementioned #10 Remingtons will you best bet.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 02:02:42 AM »
Remington # 10s will be your best fit on stock or replacement nipples.  If you replace the nipples, Treso or Slix Shots in combination with the aforementioned #10 Remingtons will you best bet.

+1.  The Track of the Wolf is basically a stainless steel version of the Treso.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:58:35 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 02:49:47 AM »

This is a pic I shot for an article that appeared in "The Shootist" several years ago.

It shows pretty clearly why you would want to change out the nipples. On the left is a stock Italian nipple, on the right a Treso. The Italian nipples have a rounded shoulder, designed so that it'll accept any cap, but prone to have caps fall off into the works. The after-market nipples have a square shoulder that holds caps much better.

The caps are, l. to r., Remington #10, #11, Dynamite Nobel #1075 caps, and CCI #10 and #11.

Most readily found available are the Remington #10's, a good reason to use those as your standard. They fit well and give good service.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 08:05:50 AM »
What Fingers, Pettifogger, and RC John said....#10 Remingtons. I've found they do and have worked (and worked best) on every Italian made Colt/Remington made C&B using the stock nipples made by either Uberti and Pietta. Do a search on the subject, there has been several lengthy threads over the last 1-2 years on the subject of stock vs aftermarket nipples and percussion caps. Read Mako's informative information in the 'Dark Arts' on nipples and caps titled 'Cap Gun Primer: Correct Cone Length'.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

1-12 INF

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 11:23:29 AM »
Thanks gents, and I have to admit I didn't notice the 'dark arts' section before.  Lots of info there.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 04:05:16 PM »
I just hate being "Tail End Charlie."  What a GROAN.  But .......... PILING ON HERE!!  (Mostly)

Yes.  Change out the OEM nipples.  I prefer and recommend SlixShot.  Optimized for Remington #10 Caps.

So I'm just going to reiterate what Fingers, Pettifogger, RC John, Crow Choker and now I have said.  See??  Tail End Charlie ... SUX.

Coffinmaker

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 05:02:45 PM »
I vote with the maker of Coffins
Remington #10 and Slixshot nipples are a great combination and what I used this weekend in my Pietta 1860 Army revolvers.
59 shots with no misses and one that I did not cap. No cap no bang one miss. DRAT. Ruined a perfectly good day.
I have a carton of CCI#11 caps they work so so and what I use for practice and save the Remmys #10 for the gunfight.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »
51 Navy Colts plus SlixShot = Remington #11's
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 11:10:02 PM »
John Boy,

Ah ...... No.  SlixShot nipples were optimized by the manufacturer for Remington #10 Caps.  Bore size not withstanding.

Coffinmaker

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »
CM, #10's don't fully seat on the SlixShot nipples I have on a pair of 51 Navy Colts.  The 11's do and have no jambs on cylinder rotations
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 11:13:35 AM »
CM, #10's don't fully seat on the SlixShot nipples I have on a pair of 51 Navy Colts.  The 11's do and have no jambs on cylinder rotations

And, I have no problem with #10s fully seating on my 1861 Navies with Slix Shots.  No jams & spent caps stay on till removed.  
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »
Tsk, tsk! The "correct" term for these items is "cones"!  N---les are portions of anatomy not mentioned in the presence of ladies and children! That's worse than using the word leg instead of limb!  ;)  ::)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

44caliberkid

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »
My wife hates "nipple talk" as the worst version of "bullet talk" which she tolerates.

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »
I have Coffinmaker Pietta 1860's .
I can tell you from experience.
I was a cartridge gun shooter before getting these 1860's
Slix nipples and Remington #10 caps will take care of Most of your issues with cap jamming.
Then Cap rakes installed in your guns will take care of the rest.
My cap guns are as reliable as my cartridge guns .

Also I have a Uberti 1849 getting Goonerized right now.
These Cap guns can be very reliable with some little tunning and good nipples.

Just saying.
Rooster
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com