Author Topic: Info on Cimarron Charger Eliminator 45 Colt  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Info on Cimarron Charger Eliminator 45 Colt
« on: May 14, 2017, 07:47:28 PM »
Recently purchased this new in box at a gun show. I know it is a Pietta Frontier Model. Cimarron,s stock number was CE410, It has a standard hammer with a standard length of pull not short stroked. The date stamp on the frame is CM. I assume it was a limited run item as I can find very little on the net. Both the Pietta and Cimarron labels on the box call it a Frontier but the barrel is stamped Thunderstorm 45 Colt. Any further info would be appreciated,

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Info on Cimarron Charger Eliminator 45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 04:51:15 PM »
The only real difference between the gun you have and ANY other Pietta built SA are the roll marks and grip material.  The only thing that might make it "limited" is the roll marks.

Coffinmaker

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 05:29:31 PM »
The date code would indicate 2014.

Now, I'll tell you some things which may or may not help because I'm somewhat vague on these facts.  Cimarron does not currently have a CE410 model in the lineup.  The 410 indicates an SAA-type gun with 4 3/4" 45 Colt barrel.  The current piettas all start with PP.  I recall some guns that had "Eliminator" on the frame.  The Thunderstorms are mounted shooter guns in 45.  Most have low hammer spurs.  The term "Eliminator" referred to a money shoot at the larger mounted events.  But then later Cimarron started using Eliminator for their short-stroke series of Piettas, but those do not say Eliminator on the frame.   HOWEVER, when I noticed your cylinder has the long lead ramps to the bolt notches, it rang a bell.  There was a shortlived effort to produce a gun with a different acction.  It has a spring loaded plunger in the hammer where the cam would be for the bolt, and is based on the Ruger 3-screw action.  There was a sample gun that we took to shows for a year while Pietta worked on it, and that sample felt really nice.  But by the time they finally came into production, they were starting to work on the short-stroke guns.  I don't know if that is why they stopped making them or if there were any issues with them.  If you take yours apart, you will know if it has that action.  It probably has had an action job as well.

BTW, what does "Charger" mean in your subject? Does it say Charger Eliminator on the label?  I've never heard of that one, but then I'm just on the road crew so I miss some stuff  :)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:21:27 PM »

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »
Abilene, your description about the plunger on the hammer is exactly what I have in mine.  also the Cimarron box label reads as follows: Frontier 4.75 45lc SA Chgr Eliminator Action . The model on the label does read CE410. When I had it apart it has a narrowed mainspring that looks a lot like a Lee spring. After shooting a couple boxes of ammo I noticed that I now had only three clicks and not four. The bolt was not rising until almost full draw on the hammer. I removed the plunger and found it had a burr on it which cleaned up with crocus cloth. Also found a burr in the plunger hole that I cleaned out using a round jewelers file. I now have all four clicks. You are right it has a smooth action. The serial number is W000XX. That's right just two digits. I found an old ad for the Charger Eliminator on the Bud,s Gun Shop site. Thanks for the info. I apparently have a fairly rare Pietta action.PS it does say Eliminator on the left side of the frame where the patent dates normally are.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:47:31 PM »
Okay, Charger mystery solved.  CHGR on the label is shorthand for "Checkered Grips".  I guess it fooled Bud's, too  ;D

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 10:03:01 PM »
Abilene. it also fooled Cheaper Than Dirt site too, along with me ;D . By the way the Pietta label under the Cimarron label read as follows: 1873 Model Frontier PW Checkered Grips Eliminator Action.  Means it is just the Eliminator. Still wonder why the barrel is marked Thunderstorm and not Frontier. Guess I will never know. Thanks again.

Offline G Bulldog Grainisland III

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 11:53:14 PM »
Must confess that I do like the grips, or should I say CHGR's
In any case they look cool and professional. Can old western gun be Tacticool btw? :)

-Bulldog

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 06:21:32 AM »
Bulldog, the grips are the same ones used on Cimarron,s current Eliminator 8 , Eliminator C and Eliminator CM series. I like the pattern too. As for being Tacticool I agree with you. I will see how this plunger versus cam action holds up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com